Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goldfish Sources In Australia
RafflesGold Forums > Buy / Sell > RafflesGold Hotspots!
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
kencheng
Dear goldfish fans of Victoria cloud9.gif I have exciting news to report. cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif
There appears to be a new aquarium opened on Victoria Street. I believe it to be in the suburb of Thornbury. This new aquarium is new enough for it not to be listed on the yellowpages yet. moredrama.gif
I inspected the aquarium called 'Pacific Aquarium' on St Georges St (it's in a row of shops on the side of St Georges Rd heading towards the city with it's front windows painted green and has fishes paint on it) and can confirm that they stock a large variety of 'fancy goldfish'.
Judging by the store keeper's appearance, I suggest that he is chinese and imports his goldies from China.
When I was there today, I can confirm a large range of butterfly tails, ryukins and orandas. He also had some large chinese lionheads (lionchu).
I found his collection of butterflies particularly extensive. yikes.gif
Kinder
take some pics to....share!
adslman
QUOTE(kencheng @ Thu, 19 Oct 2006 8:36 pm) *

Dear goldfish fans of Victoria cloud9.gif I have exciting news to report. cheer.gif cheer.gif cheer.gif

Good news indeed. good_very.gif
Thanks kencheng for the find. How did you do it?

Will find some time to check out this shop.
kencheng
QUOTE(kencheng @ Thu, 19 Oct 2006 8:36 pm) *

There appears to be a new aquarium opened on Victoria Street. I believe it to be in the suburb of Thornbury. This new aquarium is new enough for it not to be listed on the yellowpages yet. moredrama.gif
I inspected the aquarium called 'Pacific Aquarium' on St Georges St (it's in a row of shops on the side of St Georges Rd heading towards the city with it's front windows painted green and has fishes paint on it) and can confirm that they stock a large variety of 'fancy goldfish'.
Judging by the store keeper's appearance, I suggest that he is chinese and imports his goldies from China.
When I was there today, I can confirm a large range of butterfly tails, ryukins and orandas. He also had some large chinese lionheads (lionchu).
I found his collection of butterflies particularly extensive. yikes.gif

Guess what? I got the street name wrong! hysterical.gif It was meant to be St Georges Road rather then Victoria Street blush.gif
Sorry if I have mislead anyone that tried to visit. Unfortunately Pacific Aquarium is not in the yellowpages or whitepages yet sweatingbullets.gif
If someone else visits can they tell me what they think please?
adslman
Hi Kinder and all,

Went to Pacific Aquarium today. Address is 310 St George Rd, quite easy to find, on the main road city bound.
This aquarium is new, the owner is still cleaning and lots are tanks are still empty.
Quite a bit selection of fancy goldfish. Saw 3 huge and overweight lionhead/lionchu (~15cm).
While I was there, a customer(Chinese) bought 1 of the lionheads... $65... blink.gif

As Kinder has requested, I have taken some pics and posted them to this link
Pacific Aquarium Pics

Enjoy,
ADSLman
kencheng
Sleuth reporter laughbounce2.gif
Special insider report eh? good_very.gif
You have to admit Pacific Aquarium had HEAPS of butterflies! shiok.gif
kencheng
Almost forgot to report blush-big.gif
This weekend's goldfish spotting news secret.gif

Keysborough Aquarium
Large stock of 1 inch black butterflies (B), 1 inch red cap lionchu (A-B) & short body orandas (A-B).

SubScape
4 X 1 inch black butterflies (A but $40!!!), large ryukins (A) & calico lionchus (B). Black & White ryukins still on sale for $120.

UpMarket Pets (Victoria Market)
1 X large black moor (A+), 3 large calico ryukins (B) & 4 large red white ryukins (A++) VERY CHEAP! (<$100)

Coburg Aquarium
a few red & white ryukins (A-B) and some red & white orandas (A-B)

ok.gif
Kinder
Thanks for the pics Adslman, not bad lionhead and must say price also not bad. Here we pay even more and worse part the fishes are not good ....all are some deformities.

Anyway....kencheng i saw your Ryukin pics on your gallery. I must say really impressed by them, you see to take good care of them. Specially when you have somany in one tank. I think they have grown quite a bit too....? I guess they are the thai batch....Tell me when you have too many ryukins....i will come down & takesome!
adslman
Hi KenCheng.

Any sighting of good goldfish in Melbourne? Waiting for your w/end report... beg2.gif

I went to Richond on Thursday, no new fish there. Went to Pacific on Friday, no new fish there too...

Have you heard of this aquarium in Epping?
Aquarium Industries Pty Ltd

Found it on the whitepages website. It states they're a wholeseller.
Called them today but they are not open on the weekend.

Want to check if they also sell direct to the public...

Cheers,
ADSLman
kencheng
smile.gif) been busy working hence have not been goldfish shopping!

Aquarium industries is a big wholesaler where alot of aquariums get their supplies from - doubt they would sell direct to retail though :sad if you hear otherwise please tell me! shiok.gif

Also got no room... waiting for baby fish to 'grow out' smile.gif)
kencheng
Would like to report a batch of white, black, orange ryukins at St Kilda Aquarium. Also saw relatively decent and sizeable calico pearlscales at UpMarket Pets at Victoria Markets bigwink.gif
Kinder
hey ken, just wanted to know where do most of the (melb) LFS get their goldies from?

just wnated to know the general practise.....do most get imorted goldies or from local dealers.

.....oh, hows our ryukin fries doing?
adslman
Hi all,

Was driving back from son's basketball game and saw an aquarium in Chadstone.
Chadstone Aquarium, 269 Huntingdale Rd, a row of shops near the railway crossing underpass.
I recognise the owner and he's the the same owner from Thornbury's Pacific Aquarium. Small world. blink.gif

There are a few large(~12cm) lionhead/ranchu(long body), similar to the ones in Pacific. Check previous picture taken. I got my eyes on this huge calico ranchu(~15cm) and he wanted $120 dollars for it. beg2.gif
Xmas is near, better use that $$$ on presents instead... hmm.gif

Sorry Kinder, did not have my digital camera with me.

Happy hunting and shopping guys...

ADSLman
kencheng
I would like to report a tank of red&White and calico ryukins about 1 inch at New Life Aquarium. By Australian standards, these are AAA these guys actually have humps shiok.gif Hidden away at the back of the shop are also high grade black moors wink.gif Although I did not look closely, I saw at least a few of them had the ryukin body shape with humps too shiok.gif
StKilda Aquarium told me they have 3 high grade ryukins in stock however have not seen it yet biggrin.gif
Kinder
QUOTE(kencheng @ Fri, 15 Dec 2006 5:17 pm) *

I would like to report a tank of red&White and calico ryukins about 1 inch at New Life Aquarium. By Australian standards, these are AAA these guys actually have humps shiok.gif Hidden away at the back of the shop are also high grade black moors wink.gif Although I did not look closely, I saw at least a few of them had the ryukin body shape with humps too shiok.gif
StKilda Aquarium told me they have 3 high grade ryukins in stock however have not seen it yet biggrin.gif

Hey Ken...would be good if you could post of pic of AAA grade ryukin. Just want to know (or get an idea) whats Australian AAA grade standard. If not, could you do a write up on the Aussie Grading stand..
Coz i hav seen some black ranchu apparently A grade....in my opinion worth flushing down the toilet.

thanks.
kencheng
Hi Kinder,

As far as I know, there are 3 competition grades and below that are all commercial grades.

Show Class I, II & III

http://www.neoranchu.com/standards.html

followed by AAA, AA & A

AAA has one defect
AA 2
A 3 & more etc biggrin.gif

I am very excited to report spotting short tail dragon eye pearlscales at Keysborough Aquarium yesterday shiok.gif shiok.gif shiok.gif

Considering I have not seen them more then a few times in Singapore & Australia in my 20yrs of goldfish - I might venture that they are quite rare.

Open to being corrected - if the market has changed dramatically in Singapore biggrin.gif
n-d
QUOTE(kencheng @ Sun, 06 Aug 2006 7:16 pm) *

Another goldfish report (I have been k-po around again)

Keysborough Aquarium (Victoria Melbourne) got new batch ot commercial A ryukins. Keenly priced for the quality.

im from melbourne too and just found out that keysborough aqarium now has a website, he is going to update the page on shipments: http://www.keysboroughaquarium.com.au/
sleepytime318
Just to let ya know. Visited the aquarium factory in Bayswater, and they had some decent large red caps with nice head growth. Also saw some cute tri colored pandas and lots of juvenile ryukins, some with good humps.

Went to tvs aquatics as well in ferntree gully and there were some nice ranchus, and celestial eye moores.

That's all guys, hope to hear from what places ppl have seen nice goldies.
Kinder
QUOTE(sleepytime318 @ Mon, 28 May 2007 2:33 pm) *

Just to let ya know. Visited the aquarium factory in Bayswater, and they had some decent large red caps with nice head growth. Also saw some cute tri colored pandas and lots of juvenile ryukins, some with good humps.

Went to tvs aquatics as well in ferntree gully and there were some nice ranchus, and celestial eye moores.

That's all guys, hope to hear from what places ppl have seen nice goldies.

My 1st post since a long time....after the loss of Kylie my 6inch Oranda and lack of time to takecare of my other goldies, and due to water restrictions in this part of the world ... i have stopped keeping goldies (hopefully for a while only :sad )

I have seen some very nice goldies in Jakarta & Aquarama Competition Shows....quite inspiring. Maybe will get back on my feet soon...once i have time.

So hows things going with you Ken...how are your Ryukins n their fries doing...thanks for that Show Grade reply..... anyway have fun you all nicetry2.gif

Kinder
lnicky
Hi everyone,

This is my first entry in rafflesgold but I have been reading all the entries in this thread for some time.

I am trying to bring in an "A or AA" grade black ranchu from Thai through Slippery Little Suckers in Sydney. Do you know what would be a reasonable price for these ranchus?

Also where are the best LFS to get goldfish in Sydney? My personal favourite is Trans Aquarium in Cannley Vale but I am hoping to expand my LFS directory

Cheers
Kinder
QUOTE(lnicky @ Wed, 20 Jun 2007 1:52 pm) *

Hi everyone,

This is my first entry in rafflesgold but I have been reading all the entries in this thread for some time.

I am trying to bring in an "A or AA" grade black ranchu from Thai through Slippery Little Suckers in Sydney. Do you know what would be a reasonable price for these ranchus?

Also where are the best LFS to get goldfish in Sydney? My personal favourite is Trans Aquarium in Cannley Vale but I am hoping to expand my LFS directory

Cheers

....personally i have seen some A grade black ranchus in my lfs ....really bad quality. And i see no point you ordering thru your lfs for A grade....you will be ripped off...you are better off then buying str8 from the stock they keep. If you wanna import thru your lfs....import a higher grade as it will be more worth the money u spend....coz i think its gonna cost depending on the size n grade. Though i myself havnt seen any AAA grade goldies...but bro Ken or others might help to tell you if AAA-AA grades are worth it.

anyways good luck with your search...and post some pics if you get hold of any!

Kinder
lnicky
QUOTE(Kinder @ Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:51 pm) *

....personally i have seen some A grade black ranchus in my lfs ....really bad quality. And i see no point you ordering thru your lfs for A grade....you will be ripped off...you are better off then buying str8 from the stock they keep. If you wanna import thru your lfs....import a higher grade as it will be more worth the money u spend....coz i think its gonna cost depending on the size n grade. Though i myself havnt seen any AAA grade goldies...but bro Ken or others might help to tell you if AAA-AA grades are worth it.

anyways good luck with your search...and post some pics if you get hold of any!

Kinder

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen many large black ranchus in Sydney except once at SLS, an A+ black ranchu selling for $180. so I tried importing through lfs. They said they will send pictures from their exporting facility in Malaysis. But is $120-180 too expensive ??

Also is the back curve in black ranchu as important as other SVR?
Kinder
But is $120-180 too expensive ??

well it depends on what quality fish your getting, your budget....and how well you will be able to look after it.
For me personally i wont cross $120....$180 is out of imagination.

Despite its (SVR) color, all ranchus have the same criteria check out the below link:

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...post&p=2798
ccdaodao
Ranchu as found in Coburg Aquarium last month!

IPB Image
kencheng
That is very high quality by Australian standards!
lnicky
Have any of you heard or seen anything about ranchus from Hikari producers? My local LFS at Cannley Vale said that they would be bringing some high grade ranchus from Hikari this month. Price tag around $600
ccdaodao
QUOTE(kencheng @ Fri, 13 Jul 2007 11:00 am) *

That is very high quality by Australian standards!

I agree they were very high standard at 100mm long and that batch of ranchu costs AUD600.00 each which was negotiable according to the boss.
sleepytime318
Just a pic of some of my goldfish. comments welcome

IPB Image
lnicky
These are some of the goldfishes I bought in Sydney. Please let me know what you guys think
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
aussieboy
I am from Syd Australia and I am after Ranchus ,They dont have very good quality Ranchus here .
lnicky
I live in Sydney too and I know how hard it is to get good ranchus. I got this large ranchu from Auburn fish shop for $60. It's always better to call them first

IPB Image

I also saw an A+ black at Slippery Little Sucker for $150 on Anzac Parade a while back although they have nothing at the moment although they are willing to help you import from overseas.

TransAquarium in Canley Vale is another good LFS for high quality goldfish but mostly ryukins and orandas. They have ranchus but I haven't seen any good ones in my last fe visits.

Let me know if you can find good suppliers in Sydney
westgold
Hi i live in Brisbane have you tried live fish.com.au they sell ranchu online and deliver to your door also australian pet link you sometimes see ranchu for sale there. O hi.gif ther than that keep going from pet shop 2 pet shop its fun good luck with your hunting Keith
Kinder
Hi westgold,

Im from brissy too....and have been hunting for good goldfish for while, petcity out of all the pet store stocks better/and more variety than the rest....but still the quality is no where near good.

any how...thanks for sharing that link....tell me if you had bought any goldies from that site.....the pics on the site looks good...similar pics to what you see on thai goldfish websites....i would like no know if those goldfish are good quality. Just bought a 12cm ranchu from petcity.....good head growth...but not so good scale on it...

kinder
westgold
I have not perchased fish through this seller as yet i do know that Bay fish have some quite nice calico ranchu at the moment the pictures look the same on there web sight as live fish the problem is Bay fish are a wholesaler and dont sell to public i found a local pet shop that buyes fish through them.The fish i bought were smooth backs good head growth not bad svr for australian standards but a bit more black on them than i would like i payed $42.00 each for them i am buying 2 more this week next size down regards Keith
Kinder
Hi Keith,

Can you post some pics of your newly bought Calicos....and what petshop did you get them from....so when i get time i can go check them out.
Oh did you ask them to other for you?

Anyways do post some pics for your fishies....

oh yes the pics are they same on both the sites...could be that livefish.com.au is owned or sister company....i guess they are the same.
twinso
try looking up any nearby breeders for you,

i know a chinese family that just bought a huge fish tank and filled it up with lots of nice large chinese goldfish, they drove 2-3 hrs out of Melb to get them off a farm.

althro still in the $60-80 range... 100 + but they look really nice quality
Kinder
hi Twinso,

i live in brisbane and dont know of any breeders around here....anyways do you know of any details about that farm you are talking about down in melb.

Oh if that Chinese family is your friends...can you find out and if possible post some pics...thats if you can....it will be helpful if people around Aus can post pics of goldfishes...from good sources/breeders, so we can assess the quality of goldfish and also be aware that there might be good quality goldfish in Aus and we dont have to rely on pet stores.

thanks
Kinder
twinso
lol ill ask....

i think it was near dandenongs?

dont think i can get pics but i can find some fish that look similar

i just found a breeder from qld,

if u still want me to ask my chinese buds just ask me and ill go down street n ask

http://www.petdirectory.com.au/?page=direc...l&section=4

Animal House Pet & Aquarium
Our range of goldfish include Comets, Fantails, Black Moors, Fancy Goldfish & feeder fish.
phone: (07) 5494 0977

address: SHOP 3
36 SIMPSON ST
BEERWAH
QLD
AUSTRALIA
aussieboy
QUOTE(lnicky @ Fri, 26 Oct 2007 5:19 pm) *

I live in Sydney too and I know how hard it is to get good ranchus. I got this large ranchu from Auburn fish shop for $60. It's always better to call them first

Click to view attachment

I also saw an A+ black at Slippery Little Sucker for $150 on Anzac Parade a while back although they have nothing at the moment although they are willing to help you import from overseas.

TransAquarium in Canley Vale is another good LFS for high quality goldfish but mostly ryukins and orandas. They have ranchus but I haven't seen any good ones in my last fe visits.

Let me know if you can find good suppliers in Sydney

Hay mate , I go to Trans 1once a fortnight they are very good ,But as you said not high in Ranchus although now and then they have some nice Ranchus.
Kinder
Hi twinso,

thanks for your reply....

You dont have to if u cant....but if can post some pics of those farm breed goldfishes you mentioned your friend bought. By posting here we can assess the quality fo farmed goldfishes in australia. it wil help all keen goldfish hobbist around australia.

thanks
kinder
lnicky
I got this SVR from Trans last weekend for $40. I really like the short deep body and wen but tail is not split which is a fatal flaw.

IPB Image

Hoping to breed it with the ranchu I posted on this thread before so some of the offspring might be ok. Must cull like crazy though

I saw a tank of sakura ranchus when at Trans. Nice smooth curve but body not deep.
aussieboy
QUOTE(lnicky @ Wed, 31 Oct 2007 5:27 pm) *

I got this SVR from Trans last weekend for $40. I really like the short deep body and wen but tail is not split which is a fatal flaw.

Click to view attachment

Hoping to breed it with the ranchu I posted on this thread before so some of the offspring might be ok. Must cull like crazy though

I saw a tank of sakura ranchus when at Trans. Nice smooth curve but body not deep.

I cant beleive that fish was only $40 ,I was going to buy it a few weeks back but it was in a tank that said sold on the glass ,it has a cut tail ,But a very nice fish ,well done to you
lnicky
Thanks buddy. I am coming there again this weekend so I'll let you know if they stock up any new ranchus

They told me they brought in some some quality ranchu from Japan with a price tag of $800 and no body bought it so they don't have as much ranchus.

I might try livefish.com as well but a bit scary to buy when you can't see the fish.

Has anyone tried buying from there??
aussieboy
QUOTE(lnicky @ Thu, 01 Nov 2007 4:41 pm) *

Thanks buddy. I am coming there again this weekend so I'll let you know if they stock up any new ranchus

They told me they brought in some some quality ranchu from Japan with a price tag of $800 and no body bought it so they don't have as much ranchus.

I might try livefish.com as well but a bit scary to buy when you can't see the fish.

Has anyone tried buying from there??

Thankyou, Yer I have a order pending from Livefish ,I am waiting on the order ,They said it takes 14 days to process the order so I will let you know when the order arrives what the quality was like , I placed a order for a Orange Ranchu 14 to 16cm $65 and 2 black Ranchus 6 to 8 cm $24 each .
aussieboy
QUOTE(aussieboy @ Fri, 02 Nov 2007 8:11 am) *

Thankyou, Yer I have a order pending from Livefish ,I am waiting on the order ,They said it takes 14 days to process the order so I will let you know when the order arrives what the quality was like , I placed a order for a Orange Ranchu 14 to 16cm $65 and 2 black Ranchus 6 to 8 cm $24 each .

Sorry the Orange Ranchu I have on Order is 12cm to 14 cm for $65 anyways Ill let you know the quality when I get them ,Ill take a pic and post it on the site.
ranchuone
Hi,
I live in Melbourne and just want to know if anyone has ever bought any fish food from RafflesGold. I have sent them a few emails enquring about the shipping cost but have never got a reply.
Thanks.
Kinder
Im not sure if you can buy fish food from overseas sites, coz for Quarantine issues.

Did you forward your email on this address sales@rafflesgold.com, well if they havn't replied you may wanna contact some senior members of this site or start a new topic in order to grab their attention. It could be they havnt got your email or might have been busy. easy way is to drop a line in the chit/chat section of the forum.

well i dont know of others but i haven't bought any food from the site...Hikari dry&frozen food are easily available here....

kinder

QUOTE(aussieboy @ Fri, 02 Nov 2007 3:20 pm) *

Sorry the Orange Ranchu I have on Order is 12cm to 14 cm for $65 anyways Ill let you know the quality when I get them ,Ill take a pic and post it on the site.

Hi Aussieboy,

Did you receive your goldfish from livefish.com.au , just that we are keen to see the pics. while placing the order did you tell them to send their best grade goldfishes or male/female.....just curious!

kinder
ranchuone
[quote name='Kinder' date='Tue, 06 Nov 2007 7:09 pm' post='54267']
Im not sure if you can buy fish food from overseas sites, coz for Quarantine issues.

Did you forward your email on this address sales@rafflesgold.com, well if they havn't replied you may wanna contact some senior members of this site or start a new topic in order to grab their attention. It could be they havnt got your email or might have been busy. easy way is to drop a line in the chit/chat section of the forum.

well i dont know of others but i haven't bought any food from the site...Hikari dry&frozen food are easily available here....

kinder

Yes I did send to their sales department. In fact I am using the Hikari for my fish at the moment and I paid $35.00 for this, whereas the RafflesGold store is selling the same thing for SGD$7.50 only and this is a hugh savings!! So you can understand why I want to hear from them! biggrin.gif

Anyway, this is for the Melbournians. There's two very good LFS in Keysborough who carry good quality goldfish. One of them has a pair of rare Peal scale ranchu but they are $$$! ohmy.gif good_very.gif
Kinder
hi ranchuone,

You should then try purchasing your hikari food online, through sites like http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/ or direct link to food http://www.aquaticlifeaquariums.com.au/index1.html .

They sell a range of hikari food products i get mine from there and much cheaper than what your paying $35. they dont well frozen hikari food but that you should get from your petstore.

kinder
lnicky
I bought this ranchu from a private dealer in Sydney. He's been selling some very high quality ranchus. I bought this ranchu for $80 (tagged as A grade)

IPB Image

He advertises his new stocks on Petlink. When I went there yesterday there was 1 very good red ranchu and 1 nice calico ranchu. Previously he sold a show quality black ranchu for $150 which is a decent price
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.