Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fishless Greenwater Cultivation
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
HappyBuddha
My fishes have been without green water since a day before Chinese new year. It's time for me to cultivate green water from scratch again. It's a long process and pretty stressful for my fishes with the higher than normal ammonia during the initial days.

I have read sis Kingyoo's notes that she cultivate her green water outdoors without any fish but just food pellets. I also know allan does the same.

I want to know if the fishless green water cultivation method will also work indoors under PL lamp.

I hope it does. This would spare my fish a lot of stress, and more importantly, it would be an especially good method for those of you who have not or failed to cultivate green water using your prized fishes.

The setup is as per my usual green water desktop tub. There's two PL lamp of 7000 Kelvin rated at 55 watts providing the light source. The water level, however, is kept at a mere 2 cm and the water volume is only 4.5 litres. I figured keeping the volume low should give the water a higher ppm of ammonia thus boosting the speed of cultivation. I'm not aerating the water. I can't actually since there's only 2 cm of water and my airstone is taller then that. smile.gif The food pellets are Hikari Lionhead. I figured it's a good choice because it's high protein and may contribute to high ammonia(?) I shy away from Chroma even though its protein level is the highest among the pellets I have as I'm not sure if the PSB (photosynthesis bacterial) may or may not contribute to the subsequent presence of BB therewith compete with my algae for ammonia. Hikari seems to be the best choice.

Here's a pic of the setup. peace.gif

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
After one day.

I am quite surprise there's an obvious hint of green, and thought it's an illusion. So I scope some of the water into a white tea cup. Yup! It's lightly green, but stinks like hell!!!

Ammonia:
pH:

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
&^%$#@!

Today the water turned brown.

Why? Why? Why?

With just 4.5 litres of water AND no aeration, the pellets were fermenting!!! DO was probably zero!?

Stupid stupid stupid! yuk.gif

Will have to restart with a proper setup, ie, lots of water and aeration.
Seacucumber
rumoured that in China, the goldfish farms use urine to cultivate green water...
but pls buddha, dun try it.... laugh.gif
mountain
if u fail this round again (touch wood) , would u consider using frozen blood worm??
mrchoco
how about taking the cotton from the filter and squeeze the waste into the tub?
CyberET
as the waste is from the filter.. most prob the presence of BB is higher?
kingyoo
Hint:

Do not let algae start to grow on the sides of the tub. This algae competes for nutrition and the suspended algae will starve and not flourish.

I have difficult time with starting indoor green water. mad.gif Outside is so much easier for me.
But right now we have no sun for along time, must wait for spring.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(g-string @ Sat 07 Feb 2004 10:49 PM)
rumoured that in China, the goldfish farms use urine to cultivate green water...
but pls buddha, dun try it....  laugh.gif

Kekeke. Vix told me that too and suggested to use either urine from dogs or find myself some virgin's urine.

But I don't dare to try this method.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(mountain @ Sat 07 Feb 2004 11:28 PM)
if u fail this round again (touch wood) , would u consider using frozen blood worm??

Actually, I talked to vix over this fishless green water cultivation thingy... and my original plan was to use defrosted bloodworms. That was met with a big NO as any forms of live food (prawns, dead fish etc) will rot and accumulates bad things in addition to ammonia. tongue.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(mrchoco @ Sun 08 Feb 2004 12:06 AM)
how about taking the cotton from the filter and squeeze the waste into the tub?

Not a good idea as the possible presence of BB will compete with algae for ammonia and probably win.

In this light, don't use old water from your tank to start cultivation of green water too. In fact, I scrub clean the tub and everything else in it to make sure there's not a strain of BB in it.

I have another idea.

We know chloramine is present in our water.

We also know chloramine is Chlorine PLUS ammonia.

Doesn't it imply if I dose anti-chlorine in a fresh (no bio-filtration) tub, the anti-chlorine thingy will break down the chlorine and leaves only ammonia in the tub?

tongue.gif
mountain
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sun 08 Feb 2004 07:56 AM)
Actually, I talked to vix over this fishless green water cultivation thingy... and my original plan was to use defrosted bloodworms.  That was met with a big NO as any forms of live food (prawns, dead fish etc) will rot and accumulates bad things in addition to ammonia.  tongue.gif

oh yah .. forget .... unsure.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sun 08 Feb 2004 08:01 AM)
Not a good idea as the possible presence of BB will compete with algae for ammonia and probably win.

In this light, don't use old water from your tank to start cultivation of green water too. In fact, I scrub clean the tub and everything else in it to make sure there's not a strain of BB in it.

I have another idea.

We know chloramine is present in our water.

We also know chloramine is Chlorine PLUS ammonia.

Doesn't it imply if I dose anti-chlorine in a fresh (no bio-filtration) tub, the anti-chlorine thingy will break down the chlorine and leaves only ammonia in the tub?

tongue.gif

low amounts of ammonia will be left behind, but not enough to start virgin green wor.. maybe u try again but not with so many pellets, and slight bubbling smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.