Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tell Me How To Win In A Show
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
What does it take to win in a show?With the recent My Fancy Goldfish competition still fresh in our mind perhaps a simple map planning strategy should allow you a better chance in the next show.

I’m sure most are aware of the simplest method would be to simply go to a goldfish dealer, pick the best they have there or online(say a few days before the show, during which time the fish has never been in the possession of the buyer, let alone be in his pond or aquarium), and have it delivered to a show.
For the unscrupulous ones, keeping goldfish isn't about the fish I feel, it is about winning regardless of the consequences. But there is simply no enjoyment there. Spend a day with a true and through fish keeper, or in a pond with some beauties(I mean fish), and you'd appreciate their grace and gentleness.

Everyone knows that the best looking fish always come from countries other than Singapore at a price that is beyond the reach of most hobbyists. In any goldfish show that is opened to anybody, this kind of thing is bound to happen.

I believe this is what a general hobbyist like most of us feel; big money winning the prizes. But this is mostly true in the large category

Having said the above, hobbyist like us can have our day at the smaller sized categroies as well as class which we deemed we might stand a better chance. In our past goldfish shows, there were many winning fish that were purchased by their owners at very affordable prices, grown and groomed by their owners. The pleasure derived from this is immense. One example is Laserguy.His champion lionchu was purchased barely a year ago, as a two inch fish and costing a mere $25.00 damage to his pocket.Well today that guy could walk 10 feet tall with his achievement
I believe in the smaller class categories, this is where many hobbyists can participate in and they stand a good chance at winning prizes which are not expensive

Now which class? If we use MFG competition as a yardstick then my personal analysis would be as follow

Ranchu
:Stay out too competitive!!!but a nacreous would be your best bet if you insist

Lionchu:Small category,cheap affordable and available

Oranda:Stay out if RL is around but if nacreous is a separate class,try a catA

Rhyukin:go for the kill in small class,short tailed,long tailed or even nacreous

Telescopic: Not when matrix is around but if he organizing you got a chance(he should be barred….assuming only)

Pearlscale:Stay out if Vermillion is around in all categories

Open:Any chapalang just whack…..maybe a dorsalled ranchu stands a chance If you have weirdo in your keeping not conforming to the above norm just whack…..It is All hell breaks loose but just beware of bubbles,pompom and celestial.These recognized breed may ruin your party.

I’m no fortune teller,nor a geomancer and not even a winner in any of the recent goldfish shows but I believe with proper planning and careful strategy you may minimize your loss without maximize gain…………Back to the drawing board losers!!!

goldrush
kencheng
WAH! terrible you teach people to strategise to win! hysterical.gif (Actually is true - chapalang category is quite like that hor?)
BUT! Don't forget goldfish competition besides winning also is a chance for people to show their fish mah! Don't win at least can take out and show show (eg. Ranchu category). Never know someone might offer high price for your baby.
The other thing you forgot is some people breed their own - never know - might appear one 12 dot/spot ryukin or butterfly ok? Must encourage this kind of people take out to TAKAN the commercial/rich guys! biggrin.gif
The Matrix
Open Class is never chapalang fish leh. These are varieties that could not form their own league ( not as popular here !!!) and in fact, some are not easy to find. Looking at all 6 winners of the Open Class, they conform to their own variety and added rarity and uniqueness.

If one has the 1980s HongKong book, you will see the rare bubble eyes with dorsal. Red/brown pompom is pretty new. Celestial pom pom is uniquely cute. Blue Dragon eyes wen yu with pompoms is extreme rare. tri-colored calico bubble eyes is very rare. Egg fish with pheonix tail is hardly seen in this part of the world.

It's the hardest to determine a winner.

Anyway, the big Black pearls is 2.5 yrs old and born in Singapore. Some other were as well young 1 yrs old.

There is a lot to learn in this competition. Goldrush has provided one interesting view. Go for the variety you love most.

You will never know what you got in your tank can be a winner. Gohks should be the best person to express his feeling now.
kencheng
Oh correction - chapalang not means cheap chapalang. It means chum chum (mixed) tongue.gif Don't take offence. If I got space (and can find someone sell to me) I also keep rare fish!
Actually out of curiuosity - has the 4 bubbles bubble-eye turned up in Singapore yet?
CyberET
4 bubbles bubble eye? i wish, i hope, i dream sad.gif
desireless
lol.gif

Now that you mention it.. I have never seen a 4-bubble here in SG.

IPB Image

Strange... not even Aquarama...
gohks
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Tue, 30 May 2006 12:09 pm)
You will never know what you got in your tank can be a winner. Gohks should be the best person to express his feeling now.

cheer.gif happydance1.gif cheer.gif
cloud9.gif

Special request:-
Can you write a page like what Goldrush did on judging criteria moredrama.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue, 30 May 2006 2:01 pm)
lol.gif

Now that you mention it.. I have never seen a 4-bubble here in SG.

Strange... not even Aquarama...

Who can paid S$10K for 1 fish leh ???
goldrush
birgits_giggle.gif birgits_giggle.gif birgits_giggle.gif

You have to TAN KOO KOO ok?
The Matrix
QUOTE(gohks @ Tue, 30 May 2006 6:46 pm)
Special request:-
Can you write a page like what Goldrush did on judging criteria  moredrama.gif

I can't.
Anyway, the newspapers have already put in a few criteria. Each varieties has it's own criteria ...
kencheng
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 31 May 2006 3:00 am)
Who can paid S$10K for 1 fish leh ???

Maybe we need to do a 'cultural exchange' love2.gif

They send us 4 bubble goldfish we send them orang utan welcome.gif: (like how we rent their pandas)

If they interested we can also send black pearlscale biggrin.gif

See I idea alot hah! smartalec.gif
The Matrix
The newspaper wrote this .... The fish will be judged on their condition, size, shape, conformity to breed, color, rarity or uniqueness and deportment.

I won't go into detail as there are too much to digest.

Condition - The state of the fish. Health, defects, activeness, alertness.
Size - Not just big. It must have mass. Not bloated, but looks muscular.
Shape - Proportion of various features.
Color - Striking coloration. Evenly spread and shapeness. For single colored fish, must be as uniform.
Rarity n uniqueness - This one needs to know a lot about the development of goldfish. Also does the fish looks unique.
Deportment - Balanced posture.

Lastly, the difficult one ...

Conformity to breed.

There are 600+ varieties, and some falls into 1 single classification. Simply, each classification has a set of criteria. A ranchu must have wen, curve back, mass and posture. A pearlscale must have ... pearly scale of course ... but not necessary the crown. Like the Classic pearl and short tail pearl that do not have crown. Sorry, I can't go into detail of each varieties but from the pictures of many website, one can see a lot of information.

If go by a simplified classification, a ranchu is an egg fish. Oranda, pearlscale, ryukin are wen yu ... etc ..

Then break them down into head structure, tail structure, eyes structure and other features.

It will take a while to develop the eyes to see and gain the knowledge to understand.
gohks
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 31 May 2006 11:57 am)
Conformity to breed.

There are 600+ varieties, and some falls into 1 single classification. Simply, each classification has a set of criteria. A ranchu must have wen, curve back, mass and posture. A pearlscale must have ... pearly scale of course ... but not necessary the crown. Like the Classic pearl and short tail pearl that do not have crown. Sorry, I can't go into detail of each varieties but from the pictures of many website, one can see a lot of information.

If go by a simplified classification, a ranchu is an egg fish. Oranda, pearlscale, ryukin are wen yu ... etc ..

Then break them down into head structure, tail structure, eyes structure and other features.

It will take a while to develop the eyes to see and gain the knowledge to understand.

In my view a TVR should be in open cat since it's judged from the side smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.