Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When do you last feed your fish
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
Today’s topic has least to do with the number one best seller by Dan Brown nor the blockbuster movie,the Da vinci code.But both book and movie centred upon one magnificent work of art by a renaissance, maestro Leonardo Da Vinci…..
The Last Supper.

With that introduction,I would like to ask forum bros here when do you last feed your goldfish for the day?………ie Their Last Supper for the day.

We are brought up here to believe in delivering small amount of food many times over a period of the day.But when do we stop?Bros who utilize green water environment stop feed by early afternoon to give the greens enough time to consume the resultant ammonia generated for the day.Does that mean practitioners of clear water have the advantage to continue feed right up to evening?What about those that feed throughout the night and day.We are not talking about fries here ,mine you.Are there advantages over the number feed in a day or are there unnecessary harm if the digestive system is not given ample time for the fish to take a rest before resuming such glutton exercise.So when should be the Last Supper for our fish. Now this may differ among countries where the diurnal period varies throughout the year. So do we give our last feed a couple of hours before sundown?Is there a recommendation where we can follow which is practiced not only by hobbyists but professional breeders or keepers to maximize growth rate with minimal damage (if any) to our fishes.
Perhaps we need the Da Vinci code to unravel this hidden mystery
kekekekeke.

All lines are opened. Let’s discuss.

goldrush
CP
My case - In green water, last feed not later than 2pm.

In home bio tank - 6 meals a day, spread over 7am to 8pm.
LikeGold
My Case (Clear Water)

4 Time a Day 7am - 7pm

Breakfast, Lunch, Tea break and Dinner.
goldrush
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 01 Jun 2006 12:06 am)
My case - In green water, last feed not later than 2pm.

In home bio tank - 6 meals a day,  spread over 7am to 8pm.

Good,you are one of those that has double practices.Green and clear.So in your experience,those fishes that are rotated between the two practices....do you recognise any significant growth spurts when kept indoor(6X/day) as compared to green(?/day....which I assume to be lower)
Most unfortunately,these fish are not kept under controlled environment (that means similar volume of space,volume of water,number of water change,etc)to attain a more conclusive inference.

So are those fishes kept in biotank having 6 meals better off (growth only)than those kept outdoor(?meals)assuming you practice approximately 100l/fish ratio)

And do you encounter more digestive ailments in indoor kept fish with more meals they can handle or no significance is noted?

Ok let me ask you bluntly,do any of these fish died of intestinal obstruction,bloatedness and related digestive disorders in both practices ?

Oui time for your cross-examination.........

evil.gif evil.gif evil.gif
gohks
I believe I am the odd one here, in clear water re-cycle tank:-
5 - 6 times ave in a day (can be more or less, depending on my mood), in huge quantity, between 7am to 11pm. All the cheap food I can grab, cheapest pellets (soaked), flakes, bread, dried living organism..... just throw in to them.

I feed them until they "No more asking for food" Of course caveat is you have to manage your water quality well with this hugmongous amount of feeding.

I can see my fishes gain in mass very quickly and has NEVER fall sick. Seems to me that they become very hardy and resistance to diseases biggrin.gif
aronkhj
For me I will do 3 feeds/day. 8 & 1030am and another at 430pm.
Will like to feed more but water quality will get worst if feed too much.

wkend will have 4 feedings plus occasional snack of dried shrimps.

then for once a month... i will let my fish go on diet. 2 feeds/day. smile.gif
these are for my fish in clear water.

for those in green water... 2 times a day. they eat all the green stuff anyway. alot better for the fish!
CP
Goldrush,you are beginning to sound more and more like Ranchu8. worried.gif
Anyway,

QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 01 Jun 2006 6:50 am)
So in your experience,those fishes that are rotated between the two practices....do you recognise any significant growth spurts when kept indoor(6X/day) as compared to green

No, in fact growth is much, much slower.

So are those fishes kept in biotank having 6 meals better off (growth only)than those kept outdoor(?meals)assuming you practice approximately 100l/fish ratio)

No,no, growth is slower.

And do you encounter more digestive ailments in indoor kept fish with more meals they can handle or no significance is noted?

No,no,no, ie no significance and never encountered digestive ailments.

Ok let me ask you bluntly,do any of these fish died of intestinal obstruction,bloatedness and related digestive disorders in both practices ?

And I answer you straight to the point.
No,no,no,no.Not insofar.

evil.gif  evil.gif  evil.gif

nono.gif nono.gif nono.gif
ranchu8
ah hah ... CP's incessant nos sounds rather defensive - Goldrush, anything more to dig? biggrin.gif
goldrush
Most definitely ranchu8,I will have to grill him further

Let me just make my way across RG room to the witness box

Goldrushno.gifw Mr cp you have not told me how many feeds per day are there in your green water management.Now assuming that the number of feed in your outdoor facility is less than your indoor one as you need to stop at two(No fertility message here…outdated anyway)aren’t we missing something here? .As you have stated vehemently that there were less significant growth rate in your indoor practice but with more feeding ,so am I right to say that conclusively you can achieve better growth rate pattern with much reduced feed and even with reduced number of times of feed per day in your outdoor practice.Please answer to that question. If what you say is true and nothing but the truth then aren’t you wasting too much food, indirectly money and unnecessary time taken to attain something of no significance in your indoor ones…

Your honor,I have no further question.

rusure.gif rusure.gif rusure.gif
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Fri, 02 Jun 2006 10:06 am)
Mr cp you have not told me how many feeds per day are there in your green water management.

Yes.I dont see the need to.

Now assuming that the number of feed in your outdoor facility is less than your indoor one as you need to stop at two(No fertility message here…outdated anyway)aren’t we missing something here?

Yes,yes.But it is of none of my interest.

.As you have stated vehemently that there were less significant growth rate in your indoor practice but with more feeding  ,so am I right to say that conclusively you can achieve better growth rate  pattern with much reduced feed and even with reduced  number of times of feed per day in your outdoor practice.

Yes,yes,yes.And any child in pre-school can deduce that.

Please answer to that  question. If what you say is true and nothing but the truth then aren’t you wasting too much food, indirectly money and unnecessary time taken to attain something of no significance in your indoor ones…

Yes,yes,yes,yes, you are repeating yourself and making me repeating myself.

Your honor,I have no further question.

YES!!
The Matrix
repetition and confirmation isn't what the lawyer wants to know. eat also so difficult meh ... what's the problem.
ElitGold
i feed only once daily in the mornings with alternate switch of pellets and spirulina tablet. Saturdays special treat of fresh semi-cooked prawns.

i have 3 tanks in my bedroom - 4ft tank with 4gf, 2ft with 1gf and large plastic tank with 2angels and group of tetras.

i'm starting to change water of 80-90% once fortnightly for the 4ft tank instead of once weekly (only cleaned the sponge filters, hope this experiment is fine with my goldfish).

seeing you experts feeding a few times a day makes me think am i feeding too little?
gohks
QUOTE(ElitGold @ Sun, 04 Jun 2006 2:10 pm)

seeing you experts feeding a few times a day makes me think am i feeding too little?

Yup, definitely not enough for fishes kept indoor hmm.gif
ElitGold
THanks gohks, i will try to feed more.
btw u feed yours with bread - bread for humans or fish?
i dont think the fishbread available in LFS is nutritious and appetizing....or am i wrong?

haiz, one goldfish died of dropsy again....4ft tank with 4 goldfish now left 3, still the water parameters are so bad....or is it bad fengshui to keep fishtanks in bedroom? sad.gif
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(gohks @ Sun, 04 Jun 2006 3:23 pm)
Yup, definitely not enough for fishes kept indoor  hmm.gif

Hi gohks,
Why not enough for fish kept indoor?
Pls elaborate more.

Thanks,
David Hou
The Matrix
QUOTE(ElitGold @ Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:04 am)
haiz, one goldfish died of dropsy again....4ft tank with 4 goldfish now left 3, still the water parameters are so bad....or is it bad fengshui to keep fishtanks in bedroom? sad.gif

Why not do a check on your water instead ? Dun blame it on fengshui or something u not sure.
gohks
QUOTE(ElitGold @ Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:04 am)
THanks gohks, i will try to feed more.
btw u feed yours with bread - bread for humans or fish?
i dont think the fishbread available in LFS is nutritious and appetizing....or am i wrong?

Fish bread, they will still consume though may not be their favourite. I emphasize on varities of food so to ensure no deficiency.

Before you decide to feed more, learn how to manage your water quality first. smile.gif
gohks
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Tue, 06 Jun 2006 10:16 am)
Hi gohks,
Why not enough for fish kept indoor?
Pls elaborate more.

Thanks,
David Hou

goldfish kept indoor in a cycled clear water tank got no other source of food. Feeding once a day (small quantity will not be enough and big quantity will foul your water if unconsume). Your goldfish will not thrive and will soon be weaken and prone to all sort of sickness, not to mention growing hmm.gif
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(gohks @ Tue, 06 Jun 2006 4:28 pm)
goldfish kept indoor in a cycled clear water tank got no other source of food.  Feeding once a day (small quantity will not be enough and big quantity will foul your water if unconsume).  Your goldfish will not thrive and will soon be weaken and prone to all sort of sickness, not to mention growing  hmm.gif

Hi gohks,
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, the following question might sound stupid! But why do you think a cycled clear water tank have no other source of food?

Regards,
David Hou
gohks
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Wed, 07 Jun 2006 3:21 am)
Hi gohks,
Thanks for your reply.
Sorry, the following question might sound stupid! But why do you think a cycled clear water tank have no other source of food?

Regards,
David Hou

Unless some foriegn organism drops in or the tank is coated with thick layers of algae, don't think our water source carry nutrient. smile.gif
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(gohks @ Wed, 07 Jun 2006 7:28 am)
Unless some foriegn organism drops in or the tank is coated with thick layers of algae, don't think our water source carry nutrient.  smile.gif

Dear gohks,
What about sponge filter and PL light set up cultivating wall algae? yes.gif

regards,
David Hou
gohks
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:21 am)
Dear gohks,
What about sponge filter and PL light set up cultivating wall algae? yes.gif

regards,
David Hou

Those unsightly staffs hmm.gif Will get ambarrassing moment when you have visitors to your house blush.gif
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(gohks @ Wed, 07 Jun 2006 3:43 pm)
Those unsightly staffs  hmm.gif Will get ambarrassing moment when you have  visitors to your house  blush.gif

Hahaha.......OIC! laugh.gif
But that doesn't mean not possible for those who feels the "unsightly stuff" as precious gem right? rusure.gif
gohks
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Wed, 07 Jun 2006 3:48 pm)
Hahaha.......OIC! laugh.gif
But that doesn't mean not possible for those who feels the "unsightly stuff" as precious gem right? rusure.gif

Yes, certainly you can do it smile.gif But those "unsightly stuff" also can be substituted laugh.gif Also whether is worth to do that just to feed once (where this topic originated) is a choice. yes.gif
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(gohks @ Wed, 07 Jun 2006 3:59 pm)
Yes, certainly you can do it  smile.gif But those "unsightly stuff" also can be substituted  laugh.gif Also whether is worth to do that just to feed once (where this topic originated) is a choice. yes.gif

Dear gohks,
Precisely! Once a day is definitely not enough, regardless in or outdoor, with or without algae. That was where I started wondering why not enough only for indoor?

best regards,
David Hou
ElitGold
ok, ok, experts...i will test my water first to see whether it's sweet, salty, sour or spicy...just joking lar....

one last qn before i'm out of here: i can't find any cheap and effective recommendation for testing kits in this forum and the wide range available in QH makes me blur blur and i managed to buy one for testing high ph but when i tried it at home, the colour always remains the same regardless how much BS i put in! weird? its like always 7 and i want to make it higher..

so can any expert just recommend me one cheap and effective testing kit for:
-high ph
-ammonia
-nitrate
The Matrix
QUOTE(ElitGold @ Fri, 09 Jun 2006 9:54 am)
ok, ok, experts...i will test my water first to see whether it's sweet, salty, sour or spicy...just joking lar....

one last qn before i'm out of here: i can't find any cheap and effective recommendation for testing kits in this forum and the wide range available in QH makes me blur blur and i managed to buy one for testing high ph but when i tried it at home, the colour always remains the same regardless how much BS i put in! weird?  its like always 7 and i want to make it higher..

so can any expert just recommend me one cheap and effective testing kit for:
-high ph
-ammonia
-nitrate

Do get your concept right first.

Adding BS (Baking Soda) is to stablise the pH and increase the kH.
If you add BS, please check kH and not pH.
Anyway, using BS, the pH will never go higher than 8.8 to 9, subjected to water condition.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.