Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Biostarter Qs
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Newbie Issues / Say "Hi"/ Testing
ernie
Hi there fellow members, I have a new 2 feet tank which is about 2 weeks old. It's having new tank syndrome and I have hard time controlling the ammonia level. I bought an ammonia-zero from ocean free 3 days ago and left it in my Eheim 2206 but the ammonia doesn't go away. Been feeding my goldfish once a day with very little feed. Yesterday I bought a biostarter. Question is shall I take out the ammonia-zero before I add in any biostarter, seems like the 2 will balance out each other. Bros out there with experience please help...
many thanks.. hi.gif
desireless
Hi Ernie,

First of all, welcome to RG.

You are right about the "new tank syndrome". What you need to know is about the "Cycling Of Tank. Pay special attention to point 4 of CP's topic here:

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3031

I have never tried Biostarter but from the name of it, I assume it to be a product that helps in the cultivation of Beneficial Bacteria. The cultivation of Beneficial Bacteria is what goes behind the scene (in microscopic scale) when you are cycling your tank.

You will need to cycle your tank (including filter) so that there will be beneficial bacteria to act on ammonia, changing it to something less harmful like nitrate.
ernie
Thanks for the prompt reply, correct me if I am wrong , I was trying to speed up the colonization of the BB in my filter using the biostarter. Well since the BB thrive on ammonia, does my putting in the ammonia-away deprive the BB of the ammonia they need in order to survive? Was a bit greedy cos trying to control the ammonia in the tank and also trying to cultivate BB at the same time, shall I remove the ammonia away, was confuse.. good.gif
gohks
QUOTE(ernie @ Fri, 09 Jun 2006 1:09 am)
Thanks for the prompt reply, correct me if I am wrong , I was trying to speed up the colonization of the BB in my filter using the biostarter. Well since the BB thrive on ammonia, does my putting in the ammonia-away deprive the BB of the ammonia they need in order to survive? Was a bit greedy cos trying to control the ammonia in the tank and also trying to cultivate BB at the same time, shall I remove the ammonia away, was confuse..  good.gif

Understand your dilemma as you are having fishes in a new tank (if you don't have a spare one). You are afraid the ammonia may hurt your fishes and also concern that getting rid of ammonia will starve your BB.
Not to worry, your goldfish will produce ammonia faster then your ammonia-away can get rid of them for your BB. To accelerate the cycle process, try applying your bio-starter directly onto your filter medium. Stop feeding your fishes for the time being and stop using the ammonia away if you can. Do daily partial water change till the water clear. Should stabilize in a week or so. smile.gif
ernie
hi.gif Thanks GohKS , have since taken out the ammonia away, will do partial water change on daily basis, hopefully my goldfish will understand biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.