Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pellets That My Goldfishes Won't Eat
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Pages: 1, 2
HappyBuddha
I once asked Wee Yap what pellets he put inside those autofeeder we saw on CNA show. I wanted to use the same pellets since the masters are using it.

Well, it turns out they mix various cheapo brands of pellets with Hikari Lionhead pellets!

So recently I went to C328 and gotten myself a pack of Sekirin by Japan Pet Drugs Co.

Guess what? None of my fishes want to eat the Sekirin pellets but go after the Lionhead pellets only. The Sekirin pellets eventually sink to the bottom of the tank and... rot away.

So... this is the second brand of pellets my fishes don't like. Why har? Interestingly, the 1st brand that they avoid is Japan Ranchu Lord! My fishes would eat them if and only if they're really hungry and have no other choice!

Why like dat har? Are they addicted to Hikari Lionhead pellets?

IPB Image
white horse T1
i bought those cheaper one from qian hu $4.5 per 500 g pack and mixed them with hikari lionhead.
not a single one left during feeding time. i feed twice a day

even give them the elongated pellet meant for luohan, they just swallow and the smaller ones even got choked by them.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(whtan1 @ Tue 25 Nov 2003 11:35 AM)
i bought those cheaper one from qian hu $4.5 per 500 g pack and mixed them with hikari lionhead. not a single one left during feeding time.  i feed twice a day 

Ah, $4.50 for half a KG is cheap. The Sekirin costs me $3.50 and it's only 100 grams, making it even more expensive then Hikari Lionhead! :angry:

Exactly which pellets from QH is the one you're using; I'll buy a small pack and give my fishes a try. Scarly they only like cheap pellets! biggrin.gif
LASERGUY
Finally I am able to register, couldn't understand why I cannot do it yesterday. wacko.gif:

I too noticed that my goldfishes really hate Japan Ranchu Lord pellets and make a mess out of it in the water. But combination with Hikari lionhead, medi gold and one don't know what japanese brand pellet is my goldfishes favourite! Ironically, they are mixed in the Japan Ranchu Lord packet.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(DuploTate @ Tue 25 Nov 2003 12:10 PM)
Finally I am able to register, couldn't understand why I cannot do it yesterday.  wacko.gif:

I too noticed that my goldfishes really hate Japan Ranchu Lord pellets and make a mess out of it in the water. But combination with Hikari lionhead, medi gold and one don't know what japanese brand pellet is my goldfishes favourite! Ironically, they are mixed in the Japan Ranchu Lord packet.

Talking about Japan Ranchu Lord, I notice C328 now carries it and they ask for $17 ($1 more than Petmart).

It's nice to know JRL can now be obtained other than Petmart. It's strange why some goldfish don't like it though.

Welcome aboard... er... are you anyone we know from AF?
LASERGUY
Me Username. Actually thought I would be the first to register ma la eh zai Shi Fong Re Xia, Tian Bu Chi Yuan. blink.gif:
CyberET.
QUOTE(DuploTate @ Tue 25 Nov 2003 12:26 PM)
Me Username. Actually thought I would be the first to register ma la eh zai Shi Fong Re Xia, Tian Bu Chi Yuan.  blink.gif:

hehe, your recent ranchu purchase looks nice smile.gif

erm.. how come opposite, my fish chiong for JRL first then lionhead blink.gif:
LASERGUY
Your recent purchase also look nice too! laugh.gif
Although I still don't know how to appreciate Demekins, I love your crown pearl scale! laugh.gif
Nice scales man!
CyberET.
QUOTE(DuploTate @ Tue 25 Nov 2003 12:53 PM)
Your recent purchase also look nice too!  laugh.gif
Although I still don't know how to appreciate Demekins, I love your crown pearl scale!  laugh.gif
Nice scales man!

i kinda regret buying it now.. i've got too many fishes!! sad.gif
LASERGUY
Regret buying what?
white horse T1
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 25 Nov 2003 12:04 PM)
Ah, $4.50 for half a KG is cheap.  The Sekirin costs me $3.50 and it's only 100 grams, making it even more expensive then Hikari Lionhead!  :angry:

Exactly which pellets from QH is the one you're using; I'll buy a small pack and give my fishes a try.  Scarly they only like cheap pellets!  biggrin.gif

can't recall alr.
i may be wrong, it could be 250g only.

as i mixed them in those chinese new year cookie box alr, can't trace the source.
but it is one of those colour enhancer type. QH house brand, selling at cheaper price in nornal LHS shop.
mrchoco
i mix hikari lion head and medi super gold.
they like both kinds.

IPB Image
CyberET
as for me, i'm feeding them this once a week only, normally the day after water change
IPB Image
CyberET
QUOTE(DuploTate @ Tue 25 Nov 2003 15:02 PM)
Regret buying what?

regret buying that crown pearlscale sad.gif
dennis
I got problem with green water. So the next best thing is ....... Kikari Algae Wafers. tongue.gif

IPB Image
CyberET
QUOTE(dennis @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 00:45 AM)
I got problem with green water. So the next best thing is ....... Kikari Algae Wafers. tongue.gif

hehehe.. i've yet to try that..
i fed them a rojak of food, frozen foods, goldfish pellets, koi pellets, peas.. hehe.. was tempted to try daniel's suggestion of orange sacs tongue.gif
dennis
QUOTE(Cyber_ET @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 00:53 AM)
i fed them a rojak of food, frozen foods, goldfish pellets, koi pellets, peas.. hehe.. was tempted to try daniel's suggestion of orange sacs tongue.gif

I am also adding Hikari Oranda Gold to my Lionhead Gold but there is a problem, one float the other sink, and certain of my goldfish prefer to feed on the surface and the rest on the bottom so, they are still not getting mix food. Hard to find cheaper sinking pellets.

Wafers are expenisve, so those are snack food. biggrin.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(dennis @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 01:00 AM)
I am also adding Hikari Oranda Gold to my Lionhead Gold but there is a problem, one float the other sink, and certain of my goldfish prefer to feed on the surface and the rest on the bottom so, they are still not getting mix food. Hard to find cheaper sinking pellets.

Wafers are expenisve, so those are snack food.  biggrin.gif

hmm... my fish tend to finish all the floating food, rarly anything left behind, for sinking food, i get left overs more frequently compared to floating food.. i normally feed them floating ones first, and sinking food an hr or two later when i see no more food floating around biggrin.gif
dennis
QUOTE(Cyber_ET @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 01:04 AM)
hmm... my fish tend to finish all the floating food, rarly anything left behind, for sinking food, i get left overs more frequently compared to floating food.. i normally feed them floating ones first, and sinking food an hr or two later when i see no more food floating around biggrin.gif

So how many feed a day ? Sometime when I am at home and see them gulping at the surface wheneve I walk pass, always very tempted to feed them alittle.

sad.gif Honestly I think I am over feeding. Hard habit to kick. unsure.gif Anyone else need to attend "Overfeeders Anonymous" ? huh.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(dennis @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 01:11 AM)
So how many feed a day ? Sometime when I am at home and see them gulping at the surface wheneve I walk pass, always very tempted to feed them alittle.

sad.gif Honestly I think I am over feeding. Hard habit to kick. unsure.gif: Anyone else need to attend "Overfeeders Anonymous" ? huh.gif

hehe.. for me i'm using green water, so i feed them small amount multiple times, but i strictly don't feed them after noon biggrin.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(dennis @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 00:45 AM)

Alage and Spirulina isn't the same thing right? biggrin.gif

For colour improvement, I used to feed them the following. I *seem* to find the result noticable but it's expensive and I didn't carry on feeding after that.

IPB Image

"NutraFin Max Cichild Spirulina Sticks by Hagen. $3.40 at LFS near Whampoa Hawker Centre. Not a goldfish food but heck, it's suppose to be loaded with spirulina. Each stick is quite a mouth full in size, and extremely dry. I soak them in a tea cup (with tank's water) for 5 minutes before feeding. Crude Protein 36% min., Crude Fat 4% min.. Crude Fibre 3% max, Ash 9% max."
CyberET
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 15:17 PM)
Alage and Spirulina isn't the same thing right?  biggrin.gif

nope, spirulina is a form of saltwater algae i think.. not so sure about that
CyberET
QUOTE(mrchoco @ Tue 25 Nov 2003 17:34 PM)
i mix hikari lion head and medi super gold.
they like both kinds.

where u bought medi super gold ah? i remember seeing medigold at c328, super can be found there as well? biggrin.gif price?
sheringam
QUOTE(CyberET @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 00:53 AM)
hehehe.. i've yet to try that..

Have been feeding my goldfish with green peas for past week everyday.

They doesn't poo a lot compared when feeding them with pellets.

Noticed their stomach getting bigger but still swim very active.

Also 2 of my goldfish swimming slant way is improving now. They doesn't swim slant way most of the time.

Is the goldfish suffering from SBP when swimming slant? Will green peas cure that?
CyberET
QUOTE(sheringam @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 16:02 PM)
Have been feeding my goldfish with green peas for past week everyday.

They doesn't poo a lot compared when feeding them with pellets.

Noticed their stomach getting bigger but still swim very active.

Also 2 of my goldfish swimming slant way is improving now. They doesn't swim slant way most of the time.

Is the goldfish suffering from SBP when swimming slant? Will green peas cure that?

i'm not sure, maybe green pea results in lesser poo, thus better water condition/quality, which is y the goldfish "behaves" better
10daniel
QUOTE(CyberET @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 00:38 AM)
regret buying that crown pearlscale sad.gif

why regret? smile.gif
10daniel
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 15:17 PM)
Alage and Spirulina isn't the same thing right?  biggrin.gif

For colour improvement, I used to feed them the following.  I *seem* to find the result noticable but it's expensive and I didn't carry on feeding after that.

Linked Image
IPB Image

"NutraFin Max Cichild Spirulina Sticks by Hagen. $3.40 at LFS near Whampoa Hawker Centre. Not a goldfish food but heck, it's suppose to be loaded with spirulina. Each stick is quite a mouth full in size, and extremely dry. I soak them in a tea cup (with tank's water) for 5 minutes before feeding. Crude Protein 36% min., Crude Fat 4% min.. Crude Fibre 3% max, Ash 9% max."

Hi everyone! smile.gif

Anyway, I wonder how much do the "ang-moh" researchers know about goldfish food... tongue.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(10daniel @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 20:02 PM)
why regret?  smile.gif

too many fish... u want? got another 2 if u don't like one side red, one side white tongue.gif
The Matrix
after so many food introduce, what are the benefits you observe from feeding these food ? Improve size, head growth, color ?
The Matrix
QUOTE(hun citizen @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 23:51 PM)
Did you?

hikari lionhead and jrl. size bulk up quite a bit. but the ranchu head not much improvement. for demekins, hikari lionhead, mimozi marron, size grew a lot but water turn bad fast. anyway, i have been using these food since last year for the fishes. thinking of changing mah.
CyberET
QUOTE(demekin @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 23:58 PM)
hikari lionhead and jrl. size bulk up quite a bit. but the ranchu head not much improvement. for demekins, hikari lionhead, mimozi marron, size grew a lot but water turn bad fast. anyway, i have been using these food since last year for the fishes. thinking of changing mah.

simi si mimozi marron? got picture?
mrchoco
QUOTE(CyberET @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 15:29 PM)
where u bought medi super gold ah? i remember seeing medigold at c328, super can be found there as well? biggrin.gif price?

$7.50 per pack
bought it at aquafana.
C328 also same price.

the pellets are smaller than hikari.
I like the yellow packaging though.. heh heh...
CyberET
QUOTE(mrchoco @ Thu 27 Nov 2003 08:43 AM)
$7.50 per pack
bought it at aquafana.
C328 also same price.

the pellets are smaller than hikari.
I like the yellow packaging though.. heh heh...

ooo
thanks for the tip
aquafauna closer for me biggrin.gif
mrchoco
if possible try to call them and ask if got stock.
this food each time i see left only 1 pack...
dunnoe y. ;)
bought the last pack 1.5 month ago at aquafana.
C328 i saw also only left 1 pack.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(demekin @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 23:50 PM)
after so many food introduce, what are the benefits you observe from feeding these food ? Improve size, head growth, color ?

The only pellet that impressed me was TetraFin's Goldmedal (the red bottle in the below pic.) It did help my red/white ryukins retain their red colouring. But this pellet mess up the tank very quickly... and I stopped using it.

Er... dun ask me about the green bottle. Haven't even open it. sad.gif

That JBL one has a whopping 10% spirulina and very impressive nutrition values (proteins 41% min) but... dunno leh... no difference after one bottle. Sigh.

IPB Image
LASERGUY
Anybody uses this or knows what this is? I mix this with Hikari Lionhead 47% each and the last 6% is MediGold!

IPB Image
CyberET
QUOTE(Username @ Fri 28 Nov 2003 12:41 PM)
Anybody uses this or knows what this is? I mix this with Hikari Lionhead 47% each and the last 6% is MediGold!

where did u buy it?
LASERGUY
A LFS at Changi! It sells alot of tropical fishes.
CyberET
QUOTE(Username @ Fri 28 Nov 2003 16:25 PM)
A LFS at Changi! It sells alot of tropical fishes.

har? which part of changi?
LASERGUY
You want to buy ar? I don't really know how to describe changi leh, I've been there only 2 times. The place of the famous nasi lemak with queues that will make you think that they are queuing to place last minute 4Ds.
square_guy
QUOTE(Username @ Fri 28 Nov 2003 19:34 PM)
You want to buy ar? I don't really know how to describe changi leh, I've been there only 2 times. The place of the famous nasi lemak with queues that will make you think that they are queuing to place last minute 4Ds.

tat's the changi village market. i always drop by whenever i makan there. imho, their price is slightly higher than normal, and some stocks looks old (thick coat of dust).
LASERGUY
Yeah, expensive, expensive, expensive.... yes.gif
LASERGUY
Hi, anybody uses spirulina powder from Nature Habitat ? Just started using it for a week, yet to see any result.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Sat 29 Nov 2003 01:05 AM)
Hi, anybody uses spirulina powder from Nature Habitat ? Just started using it for a week, yet to see any result.

I've been wanting to try it but still haven't.

Thanks for being the hero! Do let us know how it is.

BTW, how do you blend it with the pellets? unsure.gif
LASERGUY
Oh, for me, I just sprinkle one teaspoon into my pellets container and shake them for a while, the pellets will be coated with the fine powder. After that, just feed as normal lor.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Sat 29 Nov 2003 09:20 AM)
Oh, for me, I just sprinkle one teaspoon into my pellets container and shake them for a while, the pellets will be coated with the fine powder. After that, just feed as normal lor.

I see.

I read somewhere you have to make sure the spirulina powder sticks to the pellet. Sprinkling it may not work as effectively. It is said that you need to soak and moist your pellets first. Then mix in the powder. Wait for the whole lot to dry up (so that the powder is now coated on the pellets) before you feed it.

The tricky part then is to make sure the fish eats the specially blended pellets asap before the spirulina powder seperate again in the water. ;)

Aro pple simply insert the powder into those little frogs they feed their pet with. It's so much more easier for them to supplement spirulina powder.
LASERGUY
For my case, the powder was so fine that after shaking all the pellets will turn greenish as they were coated with the powder. Inspect these pellets closely, you can see the powder have lodged themselves onto the holes on the surface of the pellets. During feeding, make sure that all of these were consumed immediately. No time for them to seperate at all.

I don't think soaking and drying will help to get the powder stayed on the pellets, by the time the pellets were wet again during feeding, the powder would still be separating.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Sat 29 Nov 2003 12:39 PM)
For my case, the powder was so fine that after shaking all the pellets will turn greenish as they were coated with the powder. Inspect these pellets closely, you can see the powder have lodged themselves onto the holes on the surface of the pellets. During feeding, make sure that all of these were consumed immediately. No time for them to seperate at all.

I don't think soaking and drying will help to get the powder stayed on the pellets, by the time the pellets were wet again during feeding, the powder would still be separating.

Cool. So the brand you have is in fine powder-like form. Hmm...I had the impression they are quite troublesome to use. It looks like that's not true.

Do let us know how good the supplement is. tongue.gif
Seacucumber
the spirulina powder last time TRP got sell....
fcuking EX! like buying "peh hoon"......

actually hor, bro Laser...if u feed Hikari Lionhead, it contains a certain amount of spirulina liao mah....
HappyBuddha
The standard small bottle costs about $9-$9.50 at AC. I opened up a bottle and was a little surprised by the powder's funky neon green colour. biggrin.gif

If those little bits of spirulina in hikari lionhead works... I imagine the powder can work wonders on our faded fish? unsure.gif

Can't wait for bro laser's good news man.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.