Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Kinder's green water Setup
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Kinder
Post splitted from here:
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...c=3538&st=0

QUOTE(cheangv @ Mon, 24 Jul 2006 4:59 pm) *

To follow up on this thread, green water cultivation was successful both indoors and outdoors. Difference is indoor cultivation takes much much longer. Took me about 2 full weeks before green water appeared. Outdoor only took me less than a week and also saved me a big electricity bill.

A follow up question to the experts here. When you do your weekly water change, do you clean the tank or do you just replace the water. I find that the tank has quite a bit of sediments at the bottom and also have the algae at the sides especially at the line where the water line is. I have been leaving them as it is but trying to suck as much of the dirt when I do my water change but not completely remove them.

Im no expert, just learning from my experiences & ofcourse RG. I believe that :

1> Weather is an important factor. Rite now we are in middle of winter here, so the temp doesn't change alot and the sun is out for few hours. So based on this constant/predictable temperature i tend to follow WATER CHANGE weekly (on the 7th day) as the greenish tint of my greenwater is similar/ or of same intensity. So if your in hot climate or a fluctuating climate then you might want to check your the color/intensity of your greenwater and change it depending on it. My general rule to be on safe side is btw 5-7days.

2> When i 1st started greenwater i noticed that there was alot of wall algae buildup and alot of waste/sediments at the bottom of the tub. But from my experience i think as your greenwater matures (after a certain number of seeds) those wall algae and sediment problems will disappear or get limited. For instance i dont get any significant algae buildup (maybe a tiny streak) and far less sediment buildup compared to my 1st few batches of greenwater. Most of the time i dont even wash/scrub tub just refill with new water n seed.

But then again we all live in different places and hence might have different results, as i believe that weather/climate conditions have an important role to play if your greenwater cultivation is outdoors.

Have Fun smile.gif)
The Matrix
kinder, do you experience frosting on the surface ?

did u cut down feeding during this cold season ?
Kinder
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Tue, 25 Jul 2006 1:33 am) *

kinder, do you experience frosting on the surface ?

did u cut down feeding during this cold season ?

Hi Matrix,

What do you mean by frosting on the surface(surface = water surface or land)? As in ice/frost in the early mornings. If thats what you mean no, Brisbane climate is more towards Tropical (like urs) during summers but we do get mild winter, temps ranging from 7 at nights to 20 degree during day time. But dispite this my greenwater stays btw 15 - 21 degrees. And so i havn't really cut down on my feeding when compaired to 3months back or so when i started cultivating green water. I just feel that my greenwater is more stronger/healthier now to handle the bioload from the one and only fish that i have in green water.
The Matrix
Thanks Kinder. I actually mean the water surface.

Will the temperature drop further ? I am not familiar with the weather there. Definitely a good case study for me and everyone. I will be digging a lot of information. Weather, humidity, temperature fluctuation ....

Do you aerate ? It will be interesting to find out why the water temperature did not fall to the ambient temperature.

Would you be kind enough to show us the setup as of now ?

hmmmm .... admin, can xfer this portion of discussion into somewhere else ... hi.gif
CyberET
Hi Kinder, it would be great if you could provide a picture of your outdoor setup.

Thanks

thankyousign.gif
Kinder
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Wed, 26 Jul 2006 5:16 am) *

Thanks Kinder. I actually mean the water surface.

Will the temperature drop further ? I am not familiar with the weather there. Definitely a good case study for me and everyone. I will be digging a lot of information. Weather, humidity, temperature fluctuation ....

Do you aerate ? It will be interesting to find out why the water temperature did not fall to the ambient temperature.

Would you be kind enough to show us the setup as of now ?
hmmmm .... admin, can xfer this portion of discussion into somewhere else ... hi.gif

QUOTE(CyberET @ Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:41 pm) *

Hi Kinder, it would be great if you could provide a picture of your outdoor setup.

Thanks

thankyousign.gif

OMG....i feel humbled by your interest and abit stressed what if my setup is not up to your expectation (coz mysetup is pretty ordinary). Anyway i will try get back on this topic in detail as requested ASAP, but not today have University assignment to do.

Yes i aerate.... coz its greenwater.
The Matrix
green water tub suppose to be ordinary looking, well ... dirty and green bigwink.gif

never have a chance to do a detail study in that part of the world. a great chance for me to add more info into my databank.
Kinder
I'll start off with pics of my green water setup: 1st one shows the color of my greenwater, 2nd one shows the intensity of my green water (when compare with pic one, as in pic 1 you cant see my black ranchu). 3rd pic shows how dirty the bottom&walls get after 6days. My tub is not a big one as im still new to green water (40ltr & 17cm high ) and coz of that i only keep one fish at a time.

It will be interesting to find out why the water temperature did not fall to the ambient temperature?
As i mentioned before during peak winter temp here in Bris can range from 7-20 degrees, but i dont find that my green water or even the outdoor clearwater tub touch 7degrees even if the outside temp is. What i know is that water takes time to cool down maybe that explains why is does not go down to 7 but stays only as low as 15, as what i have seen...coz usually the mercury drops (atmospheric temp)to its lowest point btw 5-6am and that time im fast alseep. But i do get up sometimes at 6 and have noticed that temp go as low as 14-15 of my green water & CW tubs.

Will the temperature drop further ? I am not familiar with the weather there. Definitely a good case study for me and everyone. I will be digging a lot of information. Weather, humidity, temperature fluctuation If you want to dig information on weather,humidity etc check this Australian Bureau of Meteorology site

Dont know what more to add.....do ask if i missed out.

Cheers
Kinder
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.