Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feeding Tubifex Worms
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
void
Guys...

Do you feed ur goldfishes live tubifex worms? I read somewhere that tubifex worms are in fact very nutritious... very suitable for growing goldfishes... will pump ur goldfishes... and also pump their head growth... shiok.gif hmm... is this fact or fiction? rolleyes.gif
CyberET
fact, but dieases control is difficult if u use live worms, the moment the fish is stressed, or water goes bad.. the fish will suffer.. also water changes must be done very frequently to control the water condition as well..
HappyBuddha
... not to mention it's very very expensive compared to hygienic frozen bloodworms.

There's really no good reason to feed live tubifex worms that I can think of.
mountain
my guess is, the reason will be when the fish is in the YOUNG baby stage, It will boast its growth rate. But the common practise by pros will feed live Daphnie (still cannot spell it correctly mad.gif ). But i really doubt it will boast growth rate or head growth once it move into adult hood, at least not significantly fast.
void
hmm.. what about freezed dried tubifex worms? will they be as nutritious as the live ones? rolleyes.gif
hehehe... guess what? I've separated 12 young ranchus and ryukins and will feed them heavily with just live tubifex worms + blood worms... just wanna see a few months later... whether any incredible growth rate... shiok.gif my new project... happydance.gif
void
upon further reading, it said that feeding tunifex worms are not suitable food for breeding goldfishes (females) as it may clog the egg passage... ?!?!? becos it will make the fish fat fat... hmm.gif
CyberET
fish fat fat is full of eggs.. where u read that from?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(mountain @ Mon 09 Feb 2004 06:25 PM)
my guess is, the reason will be when the fish is in the YOUNG baby stage, It will boast its growth rate. But the common practise by pros will feed live Daphnie (still cannot spell it correctly  mad.gif ). But i really doubt it will boast growth rate or head growth once it move into adult hood, at least not significantly fast.

It's Daphnia (change e to a can leow.)

Try asking for Daphnia at LFS and you'll probably get a blank stare back.

Ask for "Boon1" in hokkian.

Careful hor... don't anyhow ask LFS auntie "Xcue me, li wo poon boh?" biggrin.gif
void
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu 12 Feb 2004 09:00 AM)
fish fat fat is full of eggs.. where u read that from?

First, I read from a betta book (same theory applies)...

Second, I read from an indonesian goldfish breeding book...

Fact or fiction?? unsure.gif
CyberET
i didn't know fat fat full of eggs will block the egg passage wor blink.gif
void
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu 12 Feb 2004 11:43 PM)
i didn't know fat fat full of eggs will block the egg passage wor blink.gif

actually, it's the too much fat that will clog the ovary duct of the goldfish... same theory applies to human too... sometimes woman too fat cannot get pregnant becos the egg passage is blocked by too much fat.... hmm.gif
CyberET
is it? but i thought they pump the fish full of live food for the nutrients to create eggs within them..
void
QUOTE(CyberET @ Fri 13 Feb 2004 01:04 AM)
is it? but i thought they pump the fish full of live food for the nutrients to create eggs within them..

yes.gif yup... to stimulate eggs (conditioning for breeding), the best food is mosquito larvae but not tubifex worms... read from the book also... tongue.gif
CyberET
hehe... what book is that? possible to scan or take a shot of it?
void
QUOTE(CyberET @ Fri 13 Feb 2004 10:32 AM)

hehe... actually it's an indonesian book called "Budi Daya Koki, pengalaman dari tulungagung"... translated as " Rearing Breeding Goldfish, experience from Tulungagung". Tulungagung is a city in Indonesia where most goldfish farms are situated... It's written by one of the most experienced goldfish breeder... But damn it, the pics in the book.. really horrible... tongue.gif
I haven't got dicam, so I will scan later... smile.gif
CyberET
k, thanks
void
QUOTE(CyberET @ Fri 13 Feb 2004 10:32 AM)

sorry for taking so long... here is the book...

IPB Image
desireless
I always take my fishes out into a small 12-litre tank "feeding tank" (5 fishes share in the same one laugh.gif ) when I want to treat them with live food. Like that the water in the main tank won't be infected with unknown diseases the worms may carry. The feeding tank I use the main tank water. After feeding I "wash" them in a small container (about 2 litre) of treated water, then put back main tank. So you see live food seebeh ma2 fan2 for me coz I don't want to dirty my main tank (But nao hia... my fishes always "bu4 shi2 huo4" - just won't take those delicious food. Make me waste time go market & buy those worms mad.gif Even those freezed blood worm they also won't take.)

So I was thinking maybe can also use this method feed your fishes with tubifex worm. Don't know if this is advisable.
(But ah... er.. how does tubifex worm look like ah? blush.gif I never use before leh.)
CyberET
doh... u put them together liaoz, its almost the same as feeding them in the main tank.. how u wash them? what kinda treated water? your fishes only take pellets?
desireless
Got a bit difference ah. If put the smelly worms in the main tank, the whole 100 plus litres kena "contaminated". So if put them in a feeding tank only the 10 litres kena and so can throw away the water later.

After feeding time I always put them one by one into a 2 litre small container with strong yellow powder treatment (each stays there for 5-10 mins) before putting them back to main tank. Very leh cheh one...

Ya lor... my fish... jian one tongue.gif
Only take Hikari sink pellet hmm.gif
Other food all mai jia...
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(desireless @ Fri 20 Feb 2004 02:01 AM)
Got a bit difference ah. If put the smelly worms in the main tank, the whole 100 plus litres kena "contaminated". So if put them in a feeding tank only the 10 litres kena and so can throw away the water later.

I think what CyberET was trying to tell you is that the live tubifex itself carries the disease. Once your fish eats them, the parasites are in their system leow. The "cleaner" and seperated water don't help much if at all. Imagine yourself eating a plate of parasite infected raw beef in a squeeky clean surgical operating theatre; the clean environment is useless since you're eating the contaminated food itself.

At LFS, they usually place a tray of live bloodrooms outside the shop (makes you wonder why eh?) Next to that tray is another tray... usually containing Tubixfex worms. "Kao Hoon" is tubifex worms.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(desireless @ Fri 20 Feb 2004 02:01 AM)
Ya lor... my fish... jian one  tongue.gif 
Only take Hikari sink pellet  hmm.gif
Other food all mai jia...

Try starving them for a day. My new baby ryukins refused to eat frozen bloodworms initially. Heart pain heart pain I starve them one day (bad for baby fishes...) The following day they chomp down the worms quickly. Now they go after the bloodworms first before they eat the pellets.
desireless
Wah... is it? The fish eat inside stomach liao still can kena disease? Then to feed or not to feed? rofl.gif

The reason why I don't want to feed in main tank is because I don't want to dirty the main tank water. The worms (the brownish thin thin one) I bought from market comes with very chao smell. I remember the uncle told me the worm feed on sai. So it could be.... wacko.gif... that's why so smelly. I figure that the fishes themsleves got some resistance against diseases so having eaten the worms (with dunno-wat disease) inside their stomach liao won't kill them lah.

The 2-litre treatment thing is to HOPEFULLY "wash away" any parasites passed on from the worms that could hook on the fishes' body. What's inside the stomach I can't control also.

So it is actually my main tank water and filter that I worry about when I started out the whole "feeding tank" thing. Because the fishes will be inside the water for most of their time. And I don't know what kind of upset will the worm's "sai water" do to my filter. So that's why I never feed live food in my main tank. rolleyes.gif
desireless
Actually I want to fast them and train them to feed on live food. But every morning my heart soften and feed them with pellets again tongue.gif
For my case, only one out of my six ranchus knows how to eat the worms. Her own sai she also eat and never spit out so the stomach dam big. Inside dunno is wat. laugh.gif
So you can imagine my tulan-ness when I go thru those leh cheh things and my fishes just won't eat the worms.
desireless
This one. My girl-girl. Own sai also eat one. But I adore her the most. I see her everytime eat also like not enough... so can't bear to fast her to train her eat other live food other than worm which she can eat a little.
See the stomach so big I also quite worried. Like dropsy leh. unsure.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
Ha ha ha. That's one of the fattest ranchu I ever seen. It's actually cute!

Ferrero Roche... do you and mrchoco hang out to eat chocolate and watch ranchus change colour or get really fat together? biggrin.gif
void
hmm... one of my ranchu also like your girl-girl... very fat... extremely fat... scared it will one day explode... but when i touch her stomach... soft soft leh... so should be ripe with eggs liau... Maybe your girl-girl is pregnant too... wink.gif
desireless
Ha ha.. no lah I go his house more often cos his ranchu nicer. good.gif

My girl-girl really fat until swim very clumsily. Void, your girl also like that huh laugh.gif ? It kind of thrill me everytime to see her "darting" for food. Always the last one to reach coz she struggles thru the water like a fatty pushing thru a crowd.

ummm... I also suspect she pregnant and the body a bit soft soft also. But she just laid eggs abt 2 weeks ago leh. The other males in the tank also not chasing her hmm.gif But the stomach really too big liao... Like anytime will explode worried.gif
void
actually, it's not unusual for females to spawn every two weeks... i've put 4 males into the same tank as my fat girl but none of them chase her... either they are not sexually ready or err.. they are turn off by the fat girl... ck-ck-ck.. even fish also see physical appearances.... hmm.gif
desireless
HAHAHA laugh.gif My males all kena turned off by the fat gal! I sometimes see the males chasing each other... hmm.gif .... so gay laugh.gif
goldfishguy
You guys are so sick and disgusting with all your sex talk about fat girl girl and chasing gay males. laugh.gif
I personally like to have hand sex with my fish...reminds me of when I was teenager and had hand sex with myself... wink.gif
I'm too old now, can't find self..shrink without use...easier to find and get a hold on fat girl girl goldfish and squeeze. good_very.gif
Yeah, you guys are gross but hey, I too can jump right in and poke fun....damn, can't poke anything else these days. happydance.gif cry.gif

VIDEO CLIP
http://www.omostudios.com/myfish
Allan
You're a funny old man.

Ask buddha how he's still doing it so often he put many young men like myself to shame.
max
I've tried many type of food, live tublifex, blood worm both live & frozen but I've stop giving them live food after advise from many LFS. True we all love our pets, we want to give them the best food no doubt but all it takes is one mishap & we put all our dear goldfish at risk. I rather stick to pellet & frozen blood worn.

One thing I notice is goldfish usually goes into mating ritual the morning after giving them live food or even frozen blood worm. This goes to show that live food's nutritional value is higher than pellet. The flip side of the coin is each time they mate, I 've to do water change bcos of the fishy smell.

I've recently cultivate aglae on the back wall & bottom of the tank, it just carpet the glass & my goldfish can eat them in between meals. Great to msee green pooh good_very.gif
CyberET
cool.. how r u cultivating the algae? via MH?
similar to aquatic connection setup?
void
actually, i quarantine my tubifex worm leh...

here's how i do it...

1) put the tubifex worm in a container... not to deep container...

2) put the container into a bigger deeper container (make sure the small container doesn't float)... and place a magic jet filter into the bigger container...

3) adjust the filter such that the output of the filter drips into the smaller container... soon the small container will overflow into the bigger container... so there will be overflowing mechanism... and the tubifex worm will not be easily dead... as they required flowing water... yes.gif

4) put few drops of meth blue into the water...

5) change the water daily...

managed to keep the worm alive for longer period of time... plus quarantined worms... wink.gif
max
I got the idea from them but my set up is different I use two stong UV lights instead. need patience, Initially I on them for 2 hrs in the morning & another 6 hrs in the evening but with little result, then I went back to consult the expert there, he told me that I should not break the cycle & I should on them for 10-12 hrs continuously, after that the result is amazing.

The 2 hrs in the morning is for me to feed them before going to work (5-7am), it will come on again at 12 noon all the way till 2300hrs. shiok.gif shiok.gif shiok.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(maxpeng @ Tue 02 Mar 2004 12:03 PM)
I got the idea from them but my set up is different I use two stong UV lights instead. need patience, Initially I on them for 2 hrs in the morning & another 6 hrs in the evening but with little result, then I went back to consult the expert there, he told me that I should not break the cycle & I should on them for 10-12 hrs continuously, after that the result is amazing.

The 2 hrs in the morning is for me to feed them before going to work (5-7am), it will come on again at 12 noon all the way till 2300hrs. shiok.gif  shiok.gif  shiok.gif

10-12 hours is a very long period of exposing your water to UV.

If I'm not wrong, the recommended exposure is 2 hours max per day for its intended purpose; to kill some forms of bacteria and algae.

Prolong exposure to UV can't be good for most life forms, especially to our dear BB in our bio-filter.

Let me put it another way. If the benefits of live tubifex worm outweight the potential damages they can cause, everyone here and elsewhere would be feeding live tubifex instead of banning them. You just can't beat the odds.
jhansolo
I happens to chance upon this

http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69

Anybody tried?
nanik
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 02 Mar 2004 06:31 PM)
10-12 hours is a very long period of exposing your water to UV.

If I'm not wrong, the recommended exposure is 2 hours max per day for its intended purpose; to kill some forms of bacteria and algae. 

Prolong exposure to UV can't be good for most life forms, especially to our dear BB in our bio-filter.

Let me put it another way.  If the benefits of live tubifex worm outweight the potential damages they can cause, everyone here and elsewhere would be feeding live tubifex instead of banning them.  You just can't beat the odds.

Hi,

I have copied several pictures on the process on how to freeze the worms

http://www.eccentrix.com/members/nanik/tubifex.htm check it out.

I have found out and tried with freeze tubifex or whatever worms and looks like it the risk factor of infections are pretty low (if not at all 0%)

Thanks
Nanik
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu 29 Apr 2004 12:29 PM)
I happens to chance upon this

http://www.killies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69

Anybody tried?

Well, I guess the author tried it. He said the method is fine for his fishes.

But I'm unable to accept this method.

It's like my cook use some sort of chemical household disinfectant products to soak my steak. Surely some of the chemical will find their way into my system when I eat it?

I even know bros who deligently wash their live feed using dechlorinated water just so that the feeds don't contain traces of chlorine. biggrin.gif
jhansolo
Yeap, there might be chance for the chemicals to leech into the system. Just thought of bringing this up for discussion, as I find this method rather hard core.
CyberET
hehe.. i heard of using listerine, detol, m.blue, and even milk to clean the live worms biggrin.gif
desireless
The worms in the pictures that nanik has linked looks like BLOOD WORM?

Isn't tubiflex worm those "gao woon" in wet market? Think is baby earthworm...
desireless
Listerine is something new... I will try later
YEAH BABY!!!
nanik
QUOTE(desireless @ Thu 29 Apr 2004 03:39 PM)
The worms in the pictures that nanik has linked looks like BLOOD WORM?

Isn't tubiflex worm those "gao woon" in wet market? Think is baby earthworm...

Bro,

You are right, but the treatment is applicable to tubifex too wink.gif
desireless
But the problem with tubi worm is that they die very easily... And when they die, they decompose almost immediately. Usually, if you add too much medication during rinsing and kills the worms, you will see the water immediately turns cloudy and bubbles appear and followed by a smell. Then you see a lot of floating tissue crumps (i believe are the dead tubi). Then you got to throw away the whole batch coz the worm will die bit by bit within few hours. The whole room will be stinko...

Also, I tried M.blue (I think it is M.Blue in the picture?) on the worms before... They died instantly tongue.gif

But of course... no harm trying on a small pint of tubi peace.gif
(just don't scare your mum or wife when they take food from the freezer laugh.gif )
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.