Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Using Internal Filter As A Pre-filter For External Filter
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
leochm
Sponge filter (guppy brand) simply superb.
Canister - Eheim 2213 I can't say more its great
Eheim Liberty - Very good mech filter, handles the shit issue together with my tom battery cleaner, just keeping everything clean.
Tom Dive Clean 85B - My prefilter for Eheim 2213, the secret of less maintenance for my 2213 and my prime assist.
Rena Air 200 - simply the best power for my 2 sponge filter.

Lionhead - the magic to the coloration and growth of my very ugly fish. Seriously!
[/quote]

Hi All

I read this post by jhansolo that was posted quite long ago. Just like to find out, is it a
common practise to use an internal filter as a pre-filter to the external filter. How do you know whether
the internal mechanical filter is suitable for your external filter. Curently, im using a eheim 2213 ext. filter with an pump output of 440l/h. If i want to attach a internal filter, should i get one with a higher pump output?
The reason i ask is because when i tried attaching one of my old jebo internal filters to my 2213, it seems like the flow rate is kind of slower as compared to when im using the internal filter on its own. Has anyone face the same problem before.
Please advised.

Thanks in Advanced
leochm
gohks
QUOTE(leochm @ Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:08 am) *

I read this post by jhansolo that was posted quite long ago. Just like to find out, is it a
common practise to use an internal filter as a pre-filter to the external filter. How do you know whether
the internal mechanical filter is suitable for your external filter. Curently, im using a eheim 2213 ext. filter with an pump output of 440l/h. If i want to attach a internal filter, should i get one with a higher pump output?
The reason i ask is because when i tried attaching one of my old jebo internal filters to my 2213, it seems like the flow rate is kind of slower as compared to when im using the internal filter on its own. Has anyone face the same problem before.
Please advised.

Thanks in Advanced
leochm

Never try this but it sounds illogical to do this thinking.gif As you are the user of canister filter, you should know that the inlet works by vacuum suction pressure (like what you vacuum suck water from tank using the hose). The ehiem motor head only assists in pumping the water filled canister back to the tank. By attaching an internal filter to the inlet tubing will not help much, as the limiting factor is still the ehiem motor head that pump water back. In other words, pushing water will not help in pulling, the internal pump will be slowed and jammed up. It will help in the beginning when you try to suction filled the canister, by pushing water in and create the vacuum pressure. Make sense rolleyes.gif
However, I have seen people attaching a sponge at the inlet as a pre-filter, so as to facilatate easy cleaning (pre-filter) and preserving the bio canister setup cleanliness. smile.gif)
leochm
Hi gohks

Thanks for your advise.
By the way, i have already converted my 2213 into a bio-filter yesterday(thanks for your recommendation again),will monitor the nitrate lvl.
Since you were saying the pre-filter setup will not help much, i was thinking to add another over-head filter on top of my current setup. The gfs are producing too much poos, too much for 2213 to handle. Can i also use back the same setup as what you recommended for my bio-filter. Please advise.

Regards
leochm
gohks
QUOTE(leochm @ Wed, 02 Aug 2006 9:11 am) *

Hi gohks

Thanks for your advise.
By the way, i have already converted my 2213 into a bio-filter yesterday(thanks for your recommendation again),will monitor the nitrate lvl.
Since you were saying the pre-filter setup will not help much, i was thinking to add another over-head filter on top of my current setup. The gfs are producing too much poos, too much for 2213 to handle. Can i also use back the same setup as what you recommended for my bio-filter. Please advise.

Regards
leochm

Not sure your setup can remove nitrate thinking.gif if this is your concern. There are other means to remove nitrate already discussed in the forum before.
As for the OHF, not sure which type you getting, (wet, wet-dry....). Slightly different setup, 1st layer at water inlet usually fine foam to mechanical filter off the particles and dibrics (as water inlet will be spread by plates), before the water reach the bio material. As space is usually limited, sponge or bio mat is usually preferred. yes.gif
leochm
Hi gohks

Sorry for the late reply. Was busy with work.
Could you also enlighten me on what is the different between a
wet and wet-dry filter.Thanks for your help

Regards
leochm
gohks
QUOTE(leochm @ Sat, 12 Aug 2006 9:42 am) *

Hi gohks
Sorry for the late reply. Was busy with work.
Could you also enlighten me on what is the different between a
wet and wet-dry filter.Thanks for your help
Regards
leochm

A wet filter is where bio material is permanently submerged in the water. A wet-dry is one with the bio material partially wet by water dripping or passing through it. The latter is known to be better in BB cultivation. If you visit my gallery, you can see some of the wet-dry. smile.gif)
jhansolo
QUOTE(leochm @ Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:08 am) *

Please advised.

Sorry for the late reply.

The reason why I added the internal filter as a pre-filter is to cut down maintenance to 2213 which was my main biofilter at that time. My reason to cutting down maintenance is to not disturb the hardworking bugs in 2213. As for the pump output, I don't turn on the pump so it does not matter to me. As for assist to prime 2213 after water change, it works.

As for logical or not ... my conclusion ... it works.

As for your nitrate problem, do a search on my previous post on Seachem purigen.
Kinder
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Wed, 20 Sep 2006 11:58 pm) *

Sorry for the late reply.

The reason why I added the internal filter as a pre-filter is to cut down maintenance to 2213 which was my main biofilter at that time. My reason to cutting down maintenance is to not disturb the hardworking bugs in 2213. As for the pump output, I don't turn on the pump so it does not matter to me. As for assist to prime 2213 after water change, it works.

As for logical or not ... my conclusion ... it works.

As for your nitrate problem, do a search on my previous post on Seachem purigen.

Hi jhansolo what you mean by "As for the pump output, I don't turn on the pump so it does not matter to me". can you please elaborate. As im considering to attach internal fillter as a prefilter to my 2213. Im finding the canister ends up quite messy (as it servers mechanical & bio).....i am thinking some kind of prefilter (which will mainly act like an mechanical filter) will bring some relief to 2213.

thanks.

kinder
jhansolo
QUOTE(Kinder @ Wed, 11 Oct 2006 3:30 pm) *

Hi jhansolo what you mean by "As for the pump output, I don't turn on the pump so it does not matter to me". can you please elaborate. As im considering to attach internal fillter as a prefilter to my 2213. Im finding the canister ends up quite messy (as it servers mechanical & bio).....i am thinking some kind of prefilter (which will mainly act like an mechanical filter) will bring some relief to 2213.

I didn't turn on the internal pump. I found another way by using the ultimate intake pipe, do a google and a small DIY job, it is really wonderful in reducing your 2213 maintenance routine.
Kinder
Hi jhansolo, would it be possible for you to explain how the intake pipe is connected to internal filter. In order to work without turning the internal pump. I also tried doing google but with no luck

thanks
kinder
Kinder
I gave another shot ....i think i know what you mean. But dont u have to run the internal filter initially just to help the 2213 to prime? and what happens if you dont stop the internal filter and keep running it too....any disadvantages? and 1 final question since you use this setup to separate mech filteration from 2213, so do still use the ceramic rings in 2213?

thanks
kinder
jhansolo
QUOTE(Kinder @ Thu, 12 Oct 2006 2:56 pm) *

I gave another shot ....i think i know what you mean. But dont u have to run the internal filter initially just to help the 2213 to prime? and what happens if you dont stop the internal filter and keep running it too....any disadvantages? and 1 final question since you use this setup to separate mech filteration from 2213, so do still use the ceramic rings in 2213?

Yes I'm lazy to do a manual prime, search in the forum, it had been discussed before. Yes, I tried to keep the internal filter running, not much difference in the flow rate, so I usually stop. As for disadvantages, I have not heard of anyone who connect it in this setup to damage their 2213.

As for ceramic rings, I don't use them, I loaded 2213 with Bio home.

Google "ultimate in-take pipe" I found this much better as compared to connecting an internal filter in series.

As for how to connect the internal filter to the in-take pipe; use a hose.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.