Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type Of Filtration For 4ft Plastic Tub
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Newbie Issues / Say "Hi"/ Testing
Rooney10
As the title goes, Im getting a 4ft tub soon and would like to purchase the other equipments first, mainly the filter and air pump.

I used to have an overhead external filter a few years back when i was keeping goldfish, but that was with a 2 1/2 ft tank. Ive a question, can external overhead filter be used on a tub which is more or less 1 1/2 ft in height?

Another question would be because i went over to lfs near my place recently and he advised me to rather get the internal sponge filter saying its much better than an overhead external filter. Then again, is that really true?

Thing is, I liked my external overhead filter last time and it kept the water quality really good.

Any reccomendations? Budget would be < ~$30. Thanks. Appreciate any help or inputs. smile.gif)
desireless
Overhead filter has no restriction on height.Only thing you worry about is where the submerged powerhead is too strong for your fishes.

Yes for your question on sponge filter, yes it would be enough. One you have it cycled, the sponge will contain one rich wealth of BB.

There are quite a number of discussions on spong filters
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=830

Have a search and you will find your answers.
Rooney10
I don't think i ever had the problem of the submerging overhead being to strong for the goldfishes so far. =/ then again, now that you've pointed out, I'll keep that in check.

Anyway, about the sponge filter, is it reccomended to wash it weekly? One good thing I noticed about overhead filter is that the filter media can be easily changed in weekly water changes thus being able to keep the water clear and good.

Lastly, I noticed that the sponge filter usually does the work of an air pump as well right? But is getting a separate air pump still viable then?

And Ive read that thread before. Sounds very complicated but no problem I'll give it another shot.
gohks
QUOTE(Rooney10 @ Sat, 23 Sep 2006 9:55 pm) *

I don't think i ever had the problem of the submerging overhead being to strong for the goldfishes so far. =/ then again, now that you've pointed out, I'll keep that in check.
Pump may get too strong if it outlet directly in the water. If you outlet to an OHF, should be okay as long as the water coming down does not create too much current.
Anyway, about the sponge filter, is it reccomended to wash it weekly? One good thing I noticed about overhead filter is that the filter media can be easily changed in weekly water changes thus being able to keep the water clear and good.
If your filter is meant for Bio purpose, you would not want to wash it too frequently. Recommended washing frequency is 1 - 3 months depending on your load. Yes, OHF can be easily washed and material replaced. Washing of sponge filter can be a pain when it get choke with particulates and debrics and may need changing.
Lastly, I noticed that the sponge filter usually does the work of an air pump as well right? But is getting a separate air pump still viable then?
You will need a seperate air pump to drive the sponge filter, if you are referring to the black round type.

Hope these answer your queries. yes.gif
Rooney10
okay I get what you mean. (: Thanks for your inputs.

Most likely, would opt for an external overhead filter and see how it goes. (:
Rooney10
i wanted to start a new thread but thought i might rather just stick to asking this question that has been on my mind for some time in this same thread since it is about overhead filters as well.

Im thinking of getting an overhead filter now, and hope someone can guide me where are the better overhead filters around, or can i say the better brands?

I checked around my house's lfs, there was one 50-100cm selling at $24 but i didnt take down the brand. Anyone can recommend on which brand of overhead filter to get and its location and price pls? Would help alot. Thanks. (:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.