Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lighting Requirments For Indoor Setup
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Chinmo
helo bros! wanna check with bros using 150 watt mh to generate green water....... hw many days before clear water becomes green water with MH? What's the duration on each day? what tub size used? keeping 2-4 3inch goldfish? beg2.gif Pls advice beg2.gif tongue.gif
CyberET
how to advise, it all varies, how much u feed, how many fish, what type of fish, wattage, water volume, distance between lamp and water, fastest also 4 days.. virgin normally a week or more
Chinmo
QUOTE(CyberET @ Wed, 22 Sep 2004 11:47 pm)
how to advise, it all varies, how much u feed, how many fish, what type of fish, wattage, water volume, distance between lamp and water, fastest also 4 days.. virgin normally a week or more

tongue.gif edited my above thread... blush.gif paiseh forgot to add other points... water distance between lamp and water is 6 inch. smile.gif
CyberET
150watt MH should be sufficient for a 3ft plastic guppy tub, whats your MH light temperature?

duration ah? follow the sun lor, 7am - 7pm..

2-4 3inch ranchu? ok la, just nice, should be tinted green in a week (not sure hows your feeding pattern like), distance between lamp and water raise to 12inch
Chinmo
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:01 am)
150watt MH should be sufficient for a 3ft plastic guppy tub, whats your MH light temperature?

duration ah? follow the sun lor, 7am - 7pm..

2-4 3inch ranchu? ok la, just nice, should be tinted green in a week (not sure hows your feeding pattern like), distance between lamp and water raise to 12inch

Temp? shld be very hot, but will be adding a fan to cool down... smile.gif using 6500k, feeding 2-3 times aday. smile.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(Chinmo @ Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:12 am)
Temp? shld be very hot, but will be adding a fan to cool down... smile.gif  using 6500k, feeding 2-3 times aday. smile.gif

fan? no need la, unless your water temperature goes above room temperature biggrin.gif u keeping goldfish, not marine fish tongue.gif
Chinmo
QUOTE(CyberET @ Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:19 am)
fan? no need la, unless your water temperature goes above room temperature biggrin.gif u keeping goldfish, not marine fish tongue.gif

quitted marine, always see the same old thing. tongue.gif feedin will be like roughlt 20 pellets of hikari lionhead pellets, 2-3 times a day, every day. tongue.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(Chinmo @ Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:12 am)
Temp? shld be very hot, but will be adding a fan to cool down... smile.gif  using 6500k, feeding 2-3 times aday. smile.gif

rofl.gif

I'm quite sure ET was refering to the colour temperature of the MH bulb... but that's a good answer too.

The heat problem... it's not the water temperature you should be concern with. Look, when was the last time you find swimming in a pool under hot summer days like soaking in a hot spring? It's your room that you should ventilate to cool it down.
rvn85
after careful reading the posts on cultivation of green water and desireless' blo
i have decided to go for the MH light set to start my green water cultivation
but i have difficulty in choosing 1....
which 1 shld i choose?
the one with UV stop glass or the one without?

I'm thinking of the Rectangular Down Light 150W Complete with BLV 10K Lamp set from
Vitricon.
http://www.viclite.com/aqlight.htm
wombatt
first of all this forum has been a great learnign experience reading through the threads. i'm currently in the USA and will be setting up a 62"x20"x20" green water tank. i've read through numerous threads on the recomendation of one mh for each 24" of tanks length. and from doing some research the 150w mh should penetrate the 20" depth fine (but not considering the green water). so if i place my mh lights around 12" above the water surface should i go for the 150w or the 250w? the only problem is that with the 250w mh hqi bulbs they seem to start at 10,000k and up, here in the US. the 150w mh has a 6,500k by iwasaki. in the long run the 250w will make more sense as i upgrade to a bigger tank. i have experience with the single ended mh bulbs with reef tanks but don't like them exposed to water just incase an accident might happen and don't want the bulb exploding. and the mh hqi double ended bulbs are much brighter and i believe they do last longer too. i've noticed that theres an emphases on the 6,500k mh bulbs with great sucsess as it relates the coloset to natural sunlight. but also some people are getting green water with the 10,000k mh bulbs. i plan to keep 6 fish max in this tank. thanks in advance.
CyberET
150w issn't sufficient for your current 100 gal tank for green water usage, you might want to consider a 300w MH lamp. at least a 250w smile.gif
wombatt
QUOTE(CyberET @ Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:11 pm) *

150w issn't sufficient for your current 100 gal tank for green water usage, you might want to consider a 300w MH lamp. at least a 250w smile.gif

thanks CyberET! i was even thinking of the 400w. i just checked again and nobody makes the 250w and 400w mh hqi double ended bulbs in anything less than a 10,000k temp. so would i be ok in using a 10,000k bulb? thinking.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(wombatt @ Mon, 31 Jul 2006 10:50 am) *

thanks CyberET! i was even thinking of the 400w. i just checked again and nobody makes the 250w and 400w mh hqi double ended bulbs in anything less than a 10,000k temp. so would i be ok in using a 10,000k bulb? thinking.gif

how about using 2 150w instead? i wouldn't recommend 10,000k though.. maybe matrix who uses MH can advise better.. i've been using only all natural products so far laugh.gif tongue.gif
wombatt
QUOTE(CyberET @ Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:06 am) *

how about using 2 150w instead? i wouldn't recommend 10,000k though.. maybe matrix who uses MH can advise better.. i've been using only all natural products so far laugh.gif tongue.gif

perfect Cyberet good_very.gif i was actually thinking of using 3 150w mh 6,500k's. they will all be independent on/off. i will post pics for people to see in about 2 weeks or so when its up and running. keeping my fingers crossed for a sucessful virgin brew of green water. sweatingbullets.gif
cheangv
If you can, you might want to consider setting up a temporary small tub outdoors to get the initial green water as its much easier and faster to get green water outdoors, not to mention that you can just rely on sunlight which is free plus the less stress on your fish as well. Just my two cents here hi.gif
wombatt
QUOTE(cheangv @ Mon, 31 Jul 2006 12:31 am) *

If you can, you might want to consider setting up a temporary small tub outdoors to get the initial green water as its much easier and faster to get green water outdoors, not to mention that you can just rely on sunlight which is free plus the less stress on your fish as well. Just my two cents here hi.gif

hi cheangv hi.gif thats exactly what my intentions were in the begining. but the fung shui master says no. i had to get rid of my koi pond in the backyard earlier this year. hmm.gif the location of the pond colided with my astrological chart. very bad karma from what i understood. just gave up the reef thing. just not the same as goldfish and koi. i was told i can have as many tanks of fish i want in the garage :ubloodygood but nothing holding water around the house at all. its all bad for me :sad only one place in the house for the show tank. so hence the delima right now. i envy you guys in signapore and over in aisa. so many buatiful fishes and friendly bros with knowledge. here in the USA only maybe two mail order places with good goldfish. right now i have all tung hoi fish and some thai ranchus ordered from fish sempai in canada. extremely happy smile.gif)
The Matrix
another fengshui problem ... in USA ? that's weird.

6500K is best so far, as long as dun go beyond 10,000K.

U can use a general guideline of 0.75w per L of water. So a 150W lamp can be use for a 200L setup. If you are going for bigger setup, you can try out 0.6w per L.

For the depth of tub, dun go beyong 2ft. For deep tub setup, hahahaha ask CyberET. But that u will need the super high energy source call the Sun.

Cool !
wombatt
thanks Matrix. did some calcs based on the info you provided and i'm ok with the 150w mh which i can get the 6500k in. i'm having a custom acrylic tank made so i can control the height of the tank to no more than 20".
top_view_ranchu
Hi Wombatt,
For your info!
This is my 5ft X 4ft tub, containing 320L of water. Using 2 X 150W, 8000k each.

Regards,
David Hou

IPB Image

IPB Image
CyberET
hehe, outdoor not enough space to put tubs? tongue.gif
wombatt
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Tue, 01 Aug 2006 4:34 am) *

Hi Wombatt,
For your info!
This is my 5ft X 4ft tub, containing 320L of water. Using 2 X 150W, 8000k each.

Regards,
David Hou

awesome David! thanks for the great pic! good_very.gif how long does it take you with your setup after a water change to get green water again?

phoi
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(wombatt @ Wed, 02 Aug 2006 10:12 am) *

awesome David! thanks for the great pic! good_very.gif how long does it take you with your setup after a water change to get green water again?

phoi

Hi Phoi,
You're welcome! I'm glad you like it.
I'm not using green water in the set up. It's wall algae if you study carefully.
Anyway, how soon you get green water depend a lot on your stock level, feeding, how long you turn on the MH and amount of seeding.
If you seed about 10%, by right, sud be green by the next day.
Starting from scratch will take around 3 days to see first sigh of green.

This info are base on my own experience with plenty of trial and error. It's more for reference, and till you try it on your own, you'll realise it's not 100% the same.

Regards,
David Hou
goldrush
Interesting

So where are your coral chips housed?

I see no filter at all ....only air stones

So what process your nitrogenous waste......................Bacterial Biofilms??????
wombatt
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:14 am) *

Hi Phoi,
You're welcome! I'm glad you like it.
I'm not using green water in the set up. It's wall algae if you study carefully.
Anyway, how soon you get green water depend a lot on your stock level, feeding, how long you turn on the MH and amount of seeding.
If you seed about 10%, by right, sud be green by the next day.
Starting from scratch will take around 3 days to see first sigh of green.

This info are base on my own experience with plenty of trial and error. It's more for reference, and till you try it on your own, you'll realise it's not 100% the same.

Regards,
David Hou

Hi David,

Thats what I thought it was nice carpet algae. I strived so much to keep the carpet algae before when I had my koi pond. That was a sign of good balanced water. yes.gif
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 02 Aug 2006 11:57 am) *

Interesting

So where are your coral chips housed?

I see no filter at all ....only air stones

So what process your nitrogenous waste......................Bacterial Biofilms??????

Hahaha........
All the questions & answers all over the threads will sure confuse many, including me! blink.gif

Doc,
What you're asking are all history to me! I'm a curious person, who'll like to find out and experience things myself. I've tried out many methods of keeping to clear my doubts on informations I gathered.
Now, I'm settled with the Traditional way (in my opinion) of Ranchu keeping. I'm keeping them either in Green Water or Clear Water with wall algae. To me, there's no fun taking short cuts in the hobby.
I suppose the Japanese named many links to this hobby with their traditional culture or sports inorder to enjoy this artistic hobby the traditional way right?
Hope my answer did not disappoint you!

Best regards,
David Hou
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(wombatt @ Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:14 pm) *

Hi David,

Thats what I thought it was nice carpet algae. I strived so much to keep the carpet algae before when I had my koi pond. That was a sign of good balanced water. yes.gif

Hi Phoi,
I didn't succeed with this kinda carpet algae at one go. blush.gif Like you've mentioned, the difficult part is maintaining it. I gone thru many trial & error too. sweatingbullets.gif
Of coz, not forgetting to Thank a good friend of mine who've told me, inorder to achieve this, I have to think like a good farmer! yes.gif

Regards,
David Hou
wombatt
wish you the best of luck David in the upkeep of that beautiful carpet algae good_very.gif
cheangv
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Wed, 02 Aug 2006 2:07 pm) *

Hi Phoi,
I didn't succeed with this kinda carpet algae at one go. blush.gif Like you've mentioned, the difficult part is maintaining it. I gone thru many trial & error too. sweatingbullets.gif
Of coz, not forgetting to Thank a good friend of mine who've told me, inorder to achieve this, I have to think like a good farmer! yes.gif

Regards,
David Hou

So what does a good farmer need to do?
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(cheangv @ Wed, 02 Aug 2006 5:28 pm) *

So what does a good farmer need to do?

I suppose a good farmer need to find out/know what's the best way for him in maintaining his plant/crop.
What is the correct amount of water, sunlight and fertilizer?

Eg. planting bonsai, you cut and trim what is excess/UNSIGHTLY in your opnion! But of coz, in this situaion you can't do that(maybe you still can if you have the time) laugh.gif . So, in order to maintain the correct carpet length, controlling the 3 substance is important. I'm sorry, but I'm unable to tell you what + what = what? I can only tell you that, with some trial and error, you'll be able to get it. Trust me, you'll find it very interesting during the process and feel much more satisfactory in the achievement. For me, I even had a few surprises!

Regards,
David Hou
Kinder
hi everyone hi.gif

I need some advice as to what kind lighting specification i need for an indoor setup. I did try to search on the forum but with little luck....one article i came across was about lighting for greenwater. As we are going into summer now here i have to move my fishes from outdoor tubs to indoor step. Im a big believer of natural sunlight....anyway it would be nice if any bros could share their knowledge

What type of lighting is needed for a 4ft tank:

1> To maintain healthy goldfish colour?
2> To cultivate healthy wall algae?
Kinder
I did my own research on the net; idea.gif

Came across T5,T8,T12 flourecent lights and apparently T5's have a higher lumen output than others, generate less heat, and are more energy efficient. It has also been reported that T5's last considerably longer, between 2-3 years, with less degrade in lumen output.

I also came across the term PL....can anyone share whats the difference between PL & T5, or are they same?

Finally can anyone share their experiences in regards to whats the correct/appropriate ligthing specification (Wattage & Kelvin ratings) they have found beneficial for their goldies /or for wall algae growth. Or does it not matter.

Cheers,
Kinder help.gif

Below is a link of a website, where u could read more on Aquarium lighting.
http://www.aquarium-lighting-guide.com/fluorescent

more on T5
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/...p?article_id=75
Rooney10
Thanks man. It was nice of you to post the links. Had a nice read over there.

Ive got a question though. Those using tubs to keep goldfishes instead of tank, how do you actually situate the lighting to actually keep it in place? Ive got a 4feet tub.

Anyway, in regards to your discussion, has there been evidence actually that aquarium lighting, whatever type it is, helps to maintain fish colour, or in regards to this, goldfish colour?
Kinder
QUOTE(Rooney10 @ Thu, 28 Sep 2006 1:24 am) *

Thanks man. It was nice of you to post the links. Had a nice read over there.

Ive got a question though. Those using tubs to keep goldfishes instead of tank, how do you actually situate the lighting to actually keep it in place? Ive got a 4feet tub.

I keep my tubs out in the balcony...so no need of lighting. But if u keep your tubs indoor...you could probably suspend the lighting in the air above the tub and try to keep it away from the edges of the plastic tub....dont want them to melt. Im sure you could think of other ways as well

Anyway, in regards to your discussion, has there been evidence actually that aquarium lighting, whatever type it is, helps to maintain fish colour, or in regards to this, goldfish colour?

I dont have the knowledge to correctly answer this, but yeah diffinately lighting is important (better than no lighting). And if you have a lighting system closer to the sun's natural light....im sure that would help in maintaining the goldfish colour
Rooney10
my hdb flat balcony sun do not come in leh. lol. anyway thanks will consider your idea and think of more. (:
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.