Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Black Ranchus - Bugeyed
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
bugeyed
Hi,

Don't know if Chinese, Japs or Thai.

Comments are welcomed. Apologize for the poor shots.

IPB Image

IPB Image
Seacucumber
pardon me being straightforward....

its back is slightly saddlebacked.....
a major flaw in sideview ranchu appreciation...

look like a low grade Thai...

no offence...

yes.gif
bugeyed
Hi,

No problem lah, I newbie to this leh. Still learning blush.gif

Rgds
Seacucumber
we are all here to learn from one another....
look up on Happybuddha's guide in ranchu selection criteria...
it may help you in future purchases...

tongue.gif
LASERGUY
Errr...IMO, this is definitely chinese black ranchu...
white horse T1
QUOTE(bugeyed @ Mon 16 Feb 2004 09:48 PM)
Hi,

Don't know if Chinese, Japs or Thai.

Comments are welcomed. Apologize for the poor shots.

mind to tell me where u get this piece?? i very hard up for black one........

by the way, Ben and Keong seong KS got a couple of baby black ranchu.
donno if they are really black or baby ranchu still in black. the reason i can't differentiate is that KS is totally black, but Ben ones have golden scales coming out of the back.

but small lei at max 1.5-2 inches
HappyBuddha
Hey buggy...

Teach you a trick; there's no such thing as a Black Japanese Ranchu. Period. tongue.gif So it's either thai or chinese and the thai black is without any doubt, far superior to chinese's.

This piece is terrible looking. biggrin.gif

Go to the FAQ section and read up how to pick out a good ranchu, and study pics that bros' posted on their ranchus in some of the threads here.

Am I the only one also somewhat bothered by the "face" this black ranchu has? Strange looking isn't it? wacko.gif
HappyBuddha
It seems nobody mention the colouring. A good black ranchu should be entirely black. Not a speck of gold please even when you shoot the fish with a powerful flash light.

And then there's the matt black type; torkong!
mountain
happydance.gif My baby happydance.gif

IPB Image

anybody still using mysitespace?? i still couldn't login, i guess that closed down the freebie section mad.gif
Seacucumber
QUOTE(mountain @ Tue 17 Feb 2004 09:15 AM)
happydance.gif  My baby happydance.gif

User Posted Image

anybody still using mysitespace?? i still couldn't login, i guess that closed down the freebie section  mad.gif

wah lan eh!
why so black one??
u feed wat??
Seacucumber
my only one left.....
her husband died on Sunday night, 15/2/04.....

IPB Image
desireless
wah lau eh.. so sayang... cry.gif
This one very black leh. you feed with charcoal is it? laugh.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(g-string @ Tue 17 Feb 2004 06:14 PM)
my only one left.....

after winning?? sai yan lah....
bugeyed
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments. I will certainly read up the FAQ first before my next purchase tongue.gif

whtan1, I bought them from the LFS besides Nature Aquarium. $13 each. Was there to buy some CO2 equipment and saw them. Last 2 pieces liao.

One question : How to maintain the black coloration? Maybe the experts here can enlighten? wink.gif

Rgds
desireless
You mean these are the pair of black ranchus that won the Qianhu Competition? Wah lau.. see beh sayang...
Anyway I see the condition of the fishes in the tanks that day... like very badly maintained. I happen to see their staffs change water for one of the competing tanks... See beh rough. If I have any fish for competition I also scared put there.
mountain
dun be fooled by my photo .. wink.gif

it was angled well enuff to cover the tummy if u looked closely. It also have goldbackground colors beneath its black scales just like bro g-string's. alas, his is so beautiful with headgrowth, mine black is botak one yes.gif

i can only afford Hikari pellets cry.gif so everyone eats the same food. i guess black is more towards its Genes and water ph
Seacucumber
QUOTE(bugeyed @ Tue 17 Feb 2004 10:46 PM)
Hi,

Thanks for all the comments. I will certainly read up the FAQ first before my next purchase  tongue.gif

whtan1, I  bought them from the LFS besides Nature Aquarium. $13 each. Was there to buy some CO2 equipment and saw them. Last 2 pieces liao.

One question : How to maintain the black coloration? Maybe the experts here can enlighten?  wink.gif

Rgds

maintain good water parameters.....
dun use colour enchancers....
tats abt all.....

most important are the genes.... yes.gif
Seacucumber
QUOTE(mountain @ Tue 17 Feb 2004 11:13 PM)
dun be fooled by my photo ..  wink.gif

it was angled well enuff to cover the tummy if u looked closely. It also have goldbackground colors beneath its black scales just like bro g-string's. alas, his is so beautiful with headgrowth, mine black is botak one  yes.gif

i can only afford Hikari pellets  cry.gif so everyone eats the same food. i guess black is more towards its Genes and water ph

mine eat Hikari lionhead...
hahaha....recommend you something cheap, healthy and good...
Hikari Wheat Germ..

helps maintain your fish's shape and lets your fish "pangsai" smoother also....
mi use to feed my blacks... wink.gif
desireless
I have been observing for quite a few times that black ranchus like to rest on their stomach at the bottom of tank while sleeping or idling. While the normal orange or mixed coloured ones prefer floating in the water while resting. Is it true? Or I somehow heng heng everytime see the same thing?
white horse T1
QUOTE(desireless @ Wed 18 Feb 2004 02:13 AM)
I have been observing for quite a few times that black ranchus like to rest on their stomach at the bottom of tank while sleeping or idling. While the normal orange or mixed coloured ones prefer floating in the water while resting. Is it true? Or I somehow heng heng everytime see the same thing?

ye, this means it is sick.....
Greenhorn Yeo
Someone mention Ben, where is he now? Trying to like for him. Has he started his business?
CyberET
think hes no more into goldfish, his bro took over, shifted somewhere nearby
mrchoco
pass your red ranchu to me i make them black..
hahaha
tongue.gif
Allan
QUOTE(Greenhorn Yeo @ Wed 18 Feb 2004 02:32 PM)
Someone mention Ben, where is he now? Trying to like for him. Has he started his business?

If you're looking for Ben Wong who was at the Tiong Bahru Market/Hawker Center, he was temporarily at Keong Seong Aquarium (Havelock Road) when theTB market closed for renovation. The last time I met him he implied he's leaving this line and his brother will take over his stock.
white horse T1
QUOTE(g-string @ Tue 17 Feb 2004 11:16 PM)
mine eat Hikari lionhead...
hahaha....recommend you something cheap, healthy and good...
Hikari Wheat Germ..

helps maintain your fish's shape and lets your fish "pangsai" smoother also....
mi use to feed my blacks...  wink.gif

g-string

where to buy the hikari wheat germ? . floating or sinking?

this time lose control alr.

After a good 3 hrs hunting and travelling, finally bought a so-called "showgirl", err i mean show class grade black ranchu.
palm size and 1 AAA grade sideview ranchu.

now then i know how those amazing race guys felt when they are running against time...
Seacucumber
Hikari Wheat Germ is floating....
everywhere also got lah.....AC got, Petmart got...etc...

u mean u bought your fishes from where??
post pic leh!
desireless
ya man! Show some of her upskirt pix man!!! laugh.gif

How much you buy?
white horse T1
QUOTE(g-string @ Sat 21 Feb 2004 09:51 PM)
Hikari Wheat Germ is floating....
everywhere also got lah.....AC got, Petmart got...etc...

u mean u bought your fishes from where??
post pic leh!

1 Blacky and 1 red/white

comment ?

i really poor in photo shooting....so pardon me
Seacucumber
cant really see clearly leh.....
the black one colour not that good....
and the rest cant see liao....
hehehehe....take clearer pics lah!
laugh.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(whtan1 @ Sun 22 Feb 2004 12:01 AM)
1 Blacky and 1 red/white

comment ?

i really poor in photo shooting....so pardon me

Which model and brand is your camera? Maybe I can look it up and help you set the right mode to use for shooting fishes. You have to set your camera to the "Macro" (close-up) mode. This mode is usually represented by a Flower icon. Enable this mode and you'll get clear sharp picture taken at close distance.
white horse T1
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sun 22 Feb 2004 12:03 PM)
Which model and brand is your camera?  Maybe I can look it up and help you set the right mode to use for shooting fishes.  You have to set your camera to the "Macro" (close-up) mode.  This mode is usually represented by a Flower icon.  Enable this mode and you'll get clear sharp picture taken at close distance.

i am using S40 Canon boasting 4 mega pixels somemore.
based on digital camera website review, this model is pretty poor in close up shot.

the led blinking like crazy when i take the shots. this means the shot is poor, i check up the manual alr, will do so again.

i alr bought a photo tank (fighting fish type) dedicated for this purpose. will try again.

this time they are soaking in yellow-powder and salt-treated water for a good 4 weeks before i transfer to popultaion tank.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(whtan1 @ Sun 22 Feb 2004 03:43 PM)
i am using S40 Canon boasting 4 mega pixels somemore. 
based on digital camera website review, this model is pretty poor in close up shot.

the led blinking like crazy when i take the shots.  this means the shot is poor, i check up the manual alr, will do so again.

i alr bought a photo tank (fighting fish type) dedicated for this purpose.  will try again.

this time they are soaking in yellow-powder and salt-treated water for a good 4 weeks before i transfer to popultaion tank.

Wah... that's an expensive camera. I checked and it has a Macro focus mode. Just switch from normal to this macro mode when you want to shoot your fish. Hold steady and fire away.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons40/page6.asp

IPB Image
white horse T1
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sun 22 Feb 2004 05:47 PM)
Wah... that's an expensive camera.  I checked and it has a Macro focus mode.  Just switch from normal to this macro mode when you want to shoot your fish.  Hold steady and fire away.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons40/page6.asp

User Posted Image

yes i bought it after checking out this website.

Conclusion - Cons
Sharpening / diagonal line artifacts
Poor macro performance hmm.gif
Average flash performance
Poorly designed multi-controller (pressing SET can be hit and miss)
Lens slow at telephoto (F4.9)
Limited apertures at telephoto
Zoom controller does not have enough increments / multiple zoom speed
RAW acquire module / RAW convert doesn't have enough functionality
Occasionally slow AF at telephoto
Barrel distortion at wide angle
Manual mode limits in relation to combinations of aperture and shutter speed
void
for macro shot, nothing beats NIKON... yes.gif
LASERGUY
QUOTE(void @ Sun 22 Feb 2004 11:50 PM)
for macro shot, nothing beats NIKON...  yes.gif

But then Nikon's menu is damn unuser-friendly..... hmm.gif
void
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 12:02 AM)

is it?!?!? i heard that minolta f300 also excellent for macro... it boasts 5 megapixels somemore... not that ex also... hmmm... rolleyes.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(void @ Sun 22 Feb 2004 11:50 PM)
for macro shot, nothing beats NIKON...  yes.gif

Lucky me; I use a Nikon 775 (2.1 millions pixels nia) and I didn't know it has good macro function. No wonder I could take nice sharp close-up shots.

I guess if anyone wants to buy a DC, he should check if the macro mode is good. Afterall, it's an important function for shooting our fishes close-up.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 12:02 AM)

Kekeke. Old man like me likes simple things (am using the Apple computer for crying out loud.) My Nikon 775 seems to have an easy to use menu because there's really nothing much to fiddle around. The only thing I find annoying is the DC's date and time; I have to set them again each time I remove the battery to recharge. I suspect the internal battery that keeps them alive is already dead as it wasn't so when the camera was new.

Anyway, ever wonder why my pics are often very sharp? Here's how.

http://www.lonestardigital.com/photoshop_quicktips.htm

Cut the fish outline out and sharpen the fish using the above method. The remaining background, on the other hand, use Gaussian blur to blur it a little. The overall effect of the blurred background is it makes the fish really stand out as if I have a great camera and photography skills (not!) biggrin.gif
ozeki
QUOTE(g-string @ Tue 17 Feb 2004 06:14 PM)
my only one left.....

Wow very nice blackie!! tongue.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(ozeki @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 02:44 PM)
Wow very nice blackie!! tongue.gif

thks for bring us back to the topic....

we ve digress to camera functions. maybe should start one discussion on camera type use.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.