Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Water Change Once A Year Only
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
fightingfish
Hi, just joined this forum yesterday. Thinking of setting up a goldfish tank.

Happen to drop by Bukit Timah Shopping Centre last week and saw this shop selling customise fish tanks. The owner claim that with his filtration system, there is no need to change water for at least 1 year. His tank setup is quite nice.

Wonder anyone tried this kind of tanks and does it really work, (change water once a year)? By the way the shop is by the name of "The Glass Box".
small_ranchu
well, I won't take his word. No matter how good the tank is, I will still do the water change once a week at least..
CyberET
QUOTE(fightingfish @ Thu, 26 Oct 2006 11:44 am) *

Hi, just joined this forum yesterday. Thinking of setting up a goldfish tank.

Happen to drop by Bukit Timah Shopping Centre last week and saw this shop selling customise fish tanks. The owner claim that with his filtration system, there is no need to change water for at least 1 year. His tank setup is quite nice.

Wonder anyone tried this kind of tanks and does it really work, (change water once a year)? By the way the shop is by the name of "The Glass Box".

maybe a simple way to put it would be, how would u feel living in a spaceship, on recycled air, recycled everything for a year tongue.gif
jimcity
I have been in this goldfish hobby for quite some time, around 25 years but never really upgrade my level blush.gif . In the past, when police wear short, hehe....just joking tongue.gif , I prefer not to change water too often. With a good filtering system ilke Eheim pro for 3 feet tank, my water change interval is 3 months rolleyes.gif and only change half tank. Now I am confused when I joined RG as many of the member change water every week! And about 80% of the water! Can anyone give some advise? Thanks beg2.gif
Sabine
How many fish are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
What is the pH, KH, NO3 in your tank after 3 months just before the water change?
The Matrix
QUOTE(jimcity @ Thu, 02 Nov 2006 11:50 am) *

I have been in this goldfish hobby for quite some time, around 25 years but never really upgrade my level blush.gif . In the past, when police wear short, hehe....just joking tongue.gif , I prefer not to change water too often. With a good filtering system ilke Eheim pro for 3 feet tank, my water change interval is 3 months rolleyes.gif and only change half tank. Now I am confused when I joined RG as many of the member change water every week! And about 80% of the water! Can anyone give some advise? Thanks beg2.gif

Jim, since u hv view thru RG, did u see the fishes photos as well ?

How about a pic of your tank, fish and setup ?
jimcity
QUOTE(Sabine @ Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:11 pm) *

What is the pH, KH, NO3 in your tank after 3 months just before the water change?

sorry, I don't really check my water condition sweatingbullets.gif , there are 4 Ranchu size : 12cm. About 2 ~ 3 years.
jimcity
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Thu, 02 Nov 2006 1:09 pm) *

Jim, since u hv view thru RG, did u see the fishes photos as well ?

How about a pic of your tank, fish and setup ?

Matrix, I have view thru RG gallery as well and it was very impressive. I also learn about green water and lots of other interesting stuff. There are also a lot of expert beg2.gif which make this place very informative good_very.gif .
Sorry, I have no digital camera to take any picture, will try to buy one later.
My setup is quite simple, Eheim Pro which will go thru another top filtering system.
I am not so happy with my Ranchu condition now and are thinking of taking member's advise as to change water every week....... happydance1.gif , that must be a hard work blush.gif
Shall see the different and update to RG later.... laugh.gif Ya must buy digital camara too.... bigwink.gif
The Matrix
not expert lah ... everyone a learner.

dun push too far too hard since u just happen to jump into this wagon. be it green water or clear water or frequent water change or enhanced water system, review your own setup and understand the constraints u have. most important is to enjoy this hobby and learn slowly.

enjoy .
jimcity
Actually what is the recommanded interval for water change nowsaday? Sorry that I push on this topic again sweatingbullets.gif Will like to learn more and update myself after seeing so many impressive ranchu photo post in RG.
jimcity
QUOTE(Sabine @ Thu, 02 Nov 2006 12:11 pm) *

Hi, I have just brought the ph tester and test the ph level of my water before I change, the ph level is btween 6 and 7. is this ok for Ranchu? thinking.gif
CyberET
at least 7 smile.gif
jimcity
QUOTE(CyberET @ Sat, 04 Nov 2006 1:47 pm) *

at least 7 smile.gif

Have tested the new water, it is around 7, can't really read the color chart well. how can I up the ph?
CyberET
baking soda
chochiss
no way....once a year WC??? not possible.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.