Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Proper Feeding Amount
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
SSJChar
I was reading chandramerpati's thread about cleopatra, and i noticed that he feeds her(or him, i dunno) upto 7 times a day. is that the norm for goldfish feeding? i only feed my fish 3 times a day, and even then, i don't feed them much. only 3 hikari pellets per fish each time. my fish havn't grown too much though in the past 2 or so months, so perhaps this is why they aren't growing too fast?
how often do you guys feed your fish, and how much food do you feed them? my fish are around 2 1/2 inches right now, maybe close to 3, and they get 3 pellets each, 3 times a day, and abit of bloodworms. should i feed them more? they're in a 110 gallon tub and there are 4 fish in there, so i believe they have enough room. the filtration isn't that great right now because we have to use a 300 gph filter until i get the parts to make one myself, but we do water changes 3 or 4 times a week to help them. i'll take any advice since i don't have much experience with goldfish yet.
CP
You can refer to begineer's guide here:
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3031

3 Hikari pellets for a 2 1/2 inch fish is too little.I would suggest you feed the amount they can continuosly consume for 3 to 4 minutes per feeding.That means that they are eating continuosly for about 15 minutes per day if you feed them 3 to 4 times daily.

Water management is most important for large feeds but since you said you change 3 to 4 times a week it should be OK.
Sabine
I weigh my fish once in a while and try to feed according to their weight. Young, growing fish like yours get 1% of their weight in pellets. My big ranchu get 0.5% of their weight in pellets, and veggies.
The amount also depends on the fat content of the feed. I feed less of very rich pellets with 14% fat compared to pellets with 10% fat.
The amount to feed also depends on the water temperature. My fish are kept at 22°C.
There are many variables to consider when it comes to how much to feed, and I am still trying to learn more about it.
Regards
chandramerpati
Dear SSJChar,
Thank you for your concern about my posting in Cleo's thread.
I've learned that it is better to feed young fish (< 1 year old) small amounts many times rather than giving them one or two big blow-shots.

My routine is 4 times of bloodworm (one small block for each fish so if I have 4 fishes in one tank I will feed 4 blocks) in 3 hours interval. Starting 8 am, it will ends by 4 pm. Please be noted that live food are easily to be digested rather than pellets.

Pellets is 3 times in 4 hours interval started 6 pm and will ends by 6 am. The amount is 2 clicks of autofeeder box (I don't weigh it sharply as I measure only by the speed of the fish finishing the pellets in 3 minutes).

I also give them some veggies (green peas, salad, or watermelon) once a week (or carpet algae in my fiber will sufficient enough also) and also I give them one day of fasting (preferably on Monday as that will be the busiest day of the week mad.gif ). Fasting is required to give the fish digestion system to rest and will boost their appetite again.

After the fish reach 1 year or older, I certainly reduced the amount of their feeding and also add some Hikari Wheat Germ to help their digestion and vitamin diets.

Thanks peace.gif
KokiBali
QUOTE(chandramerpati @ Wed, 01 Nov 2006 11:28 am) *

My routine is 4 times of bloodworm (one small block for each fish so if I have 4 fishes in one tank I will feed 4 blocks) in 3 hours interval. Starting 8 am, it will ends by 4 pm. Please be noted that live food are easily to be digested rather than pellets.

Pellets is 3 times in 4 hours interval started 6 pm and will ends by 6 am. The amount is 2 clicks of autofeeder box (I don't weigh it sharply as I measure only by the speed of the fish finishing the pellets in 3 minutes).

Thanks peace.gif

Hi Bro Chandra,

I think you should review your feeding regime. Your fish will have no chance to take a rest if you feed them 24 hours a day. As reminded by CP, be careful with your water management.

Regards,
William
chandramerpati
Thanks bro William for your suggestions....
Anyway, I'm doing it only for few fishes. Especially for jumbo size - to be - fishes.
Water management will be the priority as the feeding is massive. sweatingbullets.gif sweatingbullets.gif sweatingbullets.gif

Hopefully will see good result in next year. bigwink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.