Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Placing Ranchu Into Higher/lower Temperature
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Newbie Issues / Say "Hi"/ Testing
MCheuk
Experts,
I read somewhere that placing a goldfish from water with a higher temperature (say 28C) into water with a lower temperature (say 25C), it is safe. However, if vice versa, it could be fatal. Would love to hear your opinion/experience.
Many thanks.
CyberET
hmm.. go jump in ice water, or go stand in the sauna worse?
MCheuk
The reason I ask is because I live in HK and the weather has cooled significantly now. I have a 120L tank and it is heated. There was a recent outbreak of ick and I medicated the tank, increased the temperature to 30C to speed up the parasite cycle and change 30-40% water every three days.

However, one of my ranchus appeared to worsen because she was floating near the surface hanging by the air flow. I assumed it was a more serious case with potential gill infection. Thus I placed in QT three days ago.

The QT tanks is 15L and I placed a heater in it as well, salinty of 5% and changed 30% water daily. She has improved signifcantly and I test it by seeing her reaction to the feeding of several Hikari Lionhead sinking pellets. Plan on keeping her there for a week more and implement the ick medication just in case.

Now, I have a 45L bucket to keep the water overnight for dechlorination so that I can change 30% of the main tank every three days (because of ick medication). Of course, I scoop the water and slowly add it back to the tank flowing it against the glass - as not to give a sudden temp shock to the ranchus in the main tank.

So far the white spots have all gone on the ranchus, they are active, eating aggressively and on the road to recovery - with many thanks to the advice on this website.

So I was just curious, also because I don't have a third heater - if a ranchu were to enter water that is cooler / warmer (not that I will do it, cuz will place them in a bag first and let them float to adjust), would this be fatal. Assuming the temp range is 3 degrees difference.

Just asking for your wisdom. Thanks.
yamato38gunkei
Hello MCheuk,

A difference in water temperature of max. 2-3°C will not kill (harm) your Goldfish. Bigger differences may be dangerous.

Regards,

Geert Coppens
MCheuk
Thanks Yamato38gunkei. good_very.gif

The ranchu market in HK is quite sophisticated these days. Apart from the fish street "Tong Choi St" in Kowloon, recently a mall was opened in July catering to fish lovers. It's called HK acquarium in Quarry Bay -an indoor mall so it's air conditioned in the summer.

If anyone needs details, please let me know.

Best regards,
Mcheuk
desireless
Hi Mcheuk,

Like Geert mentioned, 2-3 degrees will be ok. If you are worried about your fish getting temperature shock, you can slowly acclimatize your fishes to fit in a new environment with a different temp. You may try this on a smaller scale:
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...ost&p=41290

QUOTE(MCheuk @ Thu, 09 Nov 2006 1:49 pm) *

Thanks Yamato38gunkei. good_very.gif

The ranchu market in HK is quite sophisticated these days. Apart from the fish street "Tong Choi St" in Kowloon, recently a mall was opened in July catering to fish lovers. It's called HK acquarium in Quarry Bay -an indoor mall so it's air conditioned in the summer.

If anyone needs details, please let me know.

Best regards,
Mcheuk

Great news for hobbyists going to HK on fish hunting purpose good_very.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.