Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bloodworms And Wens
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
blfresh
I have read posts by several people that feeding bloodworms regularly increases the wen on the goldfish. Why is this? And what is the amount to feed in order to increase the wen size? Thanks bros.
bekko
Bump. I would like to know the answer to that one too. Hakari says its Lionhead pellet can replace natural foods for promoting wen growth because of the amino acid profile, but they do not say which amino acids are important. Sounds like marketing hype - I don't know. The protein content in Lionhead pellets is 46% (which is really high for fish food) and the fat is only 6% (which is fairly low for fish food). Bloodworms and fish meal are both about 63% protein and 10% fat.

-steve
GlassGoldfish
I feed my TVR alot of Hikari frozen bloodworms. 1-2 cubes per fish 2-3x/day, plus 2x/day high quality pellet, plus 1x/day spirulina pellet. These guys can really mack down! This was their feeding schedual during warm weather, w/ 100% water changes about every 4 days.

The frozen bloodworms are super-high protein, in a super-digestible form.

I would never consider a single pellet-type as a complete diet
SSJChar
are freezedried bloodworms as good as the frozen bloodworms? they have both freezedried and frozen bloodworms here, but the frozen ones are kinda expensive and even just feeding one cube per fish i'd probably run out in 2 weeks.
GlassGoldfish
No, I personally do not bother with freeze-dried worms at all. Some of my thoughts are: they've been processed... they've lost that easily digestible feature that fresh worms have and, the frozen worms get us as close as possible to that "freshness". They have lots of air inside them, even after soaking, which I've never even been able to get the things soaked really, anyways. However, I will admit that I tried the freeze-dried about 2.5 times and quit.

I like to get the 1-pound Hikari flat-packs. Those are between $8-9 usd each, and a $20 flat-rate shipping from Drs Foster Smith.com. Do they ship to Canada? Yes, bloodworms get too expensive if you're buying the standard little "trays" at the store for $4-5 each.
blfresh
I feed frozen also. I started using freeze dried but it just didn't sound as healthy as the frozen ones. I would think the freeze dried would not be as easily digestible. My oranda's wen growth did improve with bloodworms so I purchased a baby oranda with headgrowth showing to see if the blood worms would make a difference. THanks guys for the responses! good_very.gif
odarwin
how about culturing your own supply of live bloodworms?

anyone here doing this? i saw some pet shop in hong kong once where the owner sells live bloodworms.
i just dont know how they do it, i asked an uncle once and he said to get dirty wool from your filter and leave it running and the bloodworms will eventually grow...

can anyone share some insights about raising bloodworms?

-darwin
bekko
We could not stop growing bloodworms if we wanted to. They are everywhere that there are no fish to eat them. Bloodworms are larvae of the chironomid or midge fly. The fly is about the size of a mosquito - but it does not bite. The bloodworms live in a 1 cm tube they build on the bottom or sides of a container. They grow very quickly. We just put some greenwater in a container and leave it for 3-4 days. To collect the bloodworms, the sides and bottom of the container are brushed to dislodge the mud tubes and the bloodworms are collected with a net. Since pieces of the mud tube are collected along with the worms, they are washed on a 600 micron screen. The mud tube breaks apart and goes through the mesh leaving the bloodworm behind. Greenwater is easy for us, but you can also use clear water and add some powdered fish food, bakers yeast, pond sludge or about any other kind of organic matter. Just do not add anything that is too large to wash through the screen when cleaning them. Large shallow pans, tubs or boats are easiest to harvest. You can collect about 1000 bloodworms per square meter per week. We also grow daphnia and moina. Bloodworms and mosquito larvae will usually be found growing in the same containers. To me, mosquito larvae seem to be as good as bloodworms for feeding goldfish.

I think midge flies are everywhere, but different regions have different species. It should be possible to culture bloodworms just about anywhere as well. I do not know how they are produced or collected commercially for sale as the frozen products. It takes a few minutes to harvest and clean your own for feeding the fish. It is probably not cost effective for all you executives. But, the fish like them a lot.

-steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.