Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3 Tier Trickle Overhead Filter
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Seacucumber
damn it! that stupid QH 4ft tank make me spend money again.

had bought the above filter and will be setting it up soon.
had seen in Arofanatic forum how their setup is.

is anyone of our bros here using this filtration setup??

and wat kind of filter media should i use??
ceramic rings?? coral chips?? black bio sponge?? bio balls?? biohome??
advices pls.... tongue.gif
CyberET
think a mixture of ceramic rings, biomatts would be fine?
i think the black bio sponge got carbon in it is it?
not sure how well does biohome works in a wet/dry setup

hehe.. remember to shield off the light smile.gif
Seacucumber
hmm...some people say light is not a factor leh...
most important is to provide as much oxygen as possible....

haiz.....first i got to modify the tank a bit in order to fit the OHF tray....
tat QH tank sucks.....
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(g-string @ Thu 19 Feb 2004 11:43 PM)
damn it! that stupid QH 4ft tank make me spend money again.

had bought the above filter and will be setting it up soon.
had seen in Arofanatic forum how their setup is.

is anyone of our bros here using this filtration setup??

and wat kind of filter media should i use??
ceramic rings?? coral chips?? black bio sponge?? bio balls?? biohome??
advices pls....  tongue.gif

I love to play with filtration. smile.gif

Can you take a quick pic of how that 3-tiers OHF looks like?

I setup my filter based on a few facts about goldfish, most importantly goldfish poos a lot. So I want the filter to sweep poos away from the display tank, collecting and hiding them in the filteration system. For sure, they are still within the closed system but at least hidden from view. Of course, a good filter MUST allows easy daily maintainence where you remove and discard the trapped poos with ease. OHF allows this. Canisters does not.

So... for the first layer, I use thick (about 1 1/2 inch) coarse black sponge foam. Large debris are trapped on top while water freely flows through. Everyday I would remove the foam and wash it with tap water. Directly beneath the coarse sponge is a fine wool. This traps smaller debris. This wool is wash once and replaced after 3 days. Finally, a very fine sponge is underneath. Once a week I clean this piece.

At this point, water is relatively free of debris leow. The next stage is for bio-filtration, for which I highly recommend Bio-Home. A standard 350g pack (about $13) is more then enough. These I use black sponge to build a "box" to conceal and shield them from sunlight. Afterall, sinter glass works best under zero-light condition.

That's it.

Water is always clear and parameters excellent. Most importantly, I can easily discard trapped poos thereby further contributing to a low ammonia level.

Watch the current generated by OHF though. sad.gif

Perhaps becoz black sponge foam lasts a long time (and hence economical) compared to wools (in white, blue, green whatever)... many LFS don't sell it! You can go to PolyArt at Clementi to buy. They have both the coarse and fine sponge, in stylish black. $2-$3 nia. biggrin.gif
HappyBuddha
The setup. smile.gif

No ceramic rings. No bio-balls. Just sponge, wool, BioHome and lots of aeration.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Seacucumber
wow....actually hor, black sponge is more on cultivating BB...
for trapping of poos, those white wool will suffice.....

so for now, here is wat i plan:

top layer:
white wool with ceramic rings underneath

middle layer:
all ceramic rings

bottom layer:
black sponge

i place the sponge right at the bottom cos i think they work best fully submerged.
dun wanna use biohome, imagine the cost!
i have a total of 9 compartment for all the 3 tiers....so even the cost of the filter media might work out to be quite a sum liao....
CyberET
how much u bought the 3 Tier Trickle Overhead Filter ah?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(g-string @ Fri 20 Feb 2004 08:51 AM)
wow....actually hor, black sponge is more on cultivating BB...
for trapping of poos, those white wool will suffice.....

Cannot tahan using wools to trap poos ah. I could only wash them once or twice before they need replacement. Damn expensive man. sad.gif Sponge lasts so long if everyone uses it to trap poos too (in addition to its usual role to house BB), many LFS will go belly up.

Oei, you don't have to fill-up your OHF with BioHome. Just one pack (350g) is enough to treat 2000 litres (almost ten times your tank's volume?) of water. Just put the small bag near your OHF's water discharge outlet (where the water is cleanest) can leow. That small bag will house more BB than all your ceramic rings combined. Go on, heart pain heart pain buy one pack and give it a try. No body I know ever complaint about it. Some even downsize their OHF becoz they know CR is a waste of space and time. biggrin.gif
Seacucumber
QUOTE(CyberET @ Fri 20 Feb 2004 12:04 PM)
how much u bought the 3 Tier Trickle Overhead Filter ah?

bought the box set, the pump(65l per min) and additional 6 trays all for $98....
jhansolo
Dear HB,

Read about one of your post in arofanatic forum about 2 canister connected in series with one of the try inverted. Are you still using this or is a fail project?

Cheers
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Fri 05 Mar 2004 07:23 PM)
Dear HB,

Read about one of your post in arofanatic forum about 2 canister connected in series with one of the try inverted.  Are you still using this or is a fail project?

Cheers

You are probably talking about my denitrator. blush.gif

To be frank I can't say for certain if it works or not. At that time, I was pre-occupied with something else and did the conversion without recording any before and after data. The idea sounded great and I happen to have the right equipment so I did the conversion.

If you must know my feeling, I doubt it will work in a goldfish tank. Goldfish produces so much waste, the canister's mechanical filtration section will clog before the anerobic bacteria could be cultivated.

You might want to ask bro square about his FSB filter. It's specifically designed to remove nitrate using a principle that is different from this canister denitrator. That FSB will probably work better.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.