Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leaking Electricity From Atman At-306 Pump
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
HappyBuddha
I just got a rude electric shock when I reached into my 1 week old IOS tank to pick up something that I accidentally dropped in. I've reached into the tank many times before but just now I got an electric shock to really wake me up!

The electric test pen I probe into the tank lights up. I managed to narrow it down to the submerged pump, an ATMAN AT-306. Unplugging it from the power outlet returns the tank to normal condition; no shock.

The pump is 1 week old. I did modify the original two pins flat blade power plug to a two pins rounded blade power plug, added a switch and extended the wire by a meter. It's a simple modification and I think I did a good job.

So why is it leaking electricity now?

Strangely my fishes are not affected in any way. Leaving the pump off until I get hold of a new pump later today may actually cause more harm when the water fouls up.... so the pump is still running.

Pissed. mad.gif

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
I was reading up in another forum about electric shock. An advice is to ground the tank, the same advise in another thread here.

It seems to ground the tank is to insert a copper probe into the tank and connecting it to the ground of a 3 pins plug.

If there's a leak, the grounding will prevent shock.

My question is, how then would I know if there's a leak if I can't feel it and take corrective action to replace the faulty equipment?

Do they sell a test pen kind of probe that lights up when there's a leak?
CyberET
bro Jhansolo advise against grounding your tank, i think i understand y liaoz.. by grounding.. u establish a route for the electrical current to flow.. thus possibly shocking your fish.. smile.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(CyberET @ Sat 21 Feb 2004 09:25 AM)
bro Jhansolo advise against grounding your tank, i think i understand y liaoz.. by grounding.. u establish a route for the electrical current to flow.. thus possibly shocking your fish.. smile.gif

Thanks for the timely advise.

Fortunately I have haven't done the grounding work.

I plan to install a test pen mounting it with a rubber sucker and sticking it in the tank. I'll touch the test pen before I reach into the tank.

Do you think this method is safe? unsure.gif
CyberET
haha.. no need so extreme right? tongue.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(CyberET @ Sat 21 Feb 2004 10:04 AM)
haha.. no need so extreme right? tongue.gif

paisei paisei.

Now I'm a little phobic about sticking my hands into it.

I need to do something to put my mind at ease or else... who knows... it may deter me from enjoying the hobby. weep.gif

Damn classical conditioning.
void
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sat 21 Feb 2004 08:10 AM)

Strangely my fishes are not affected in any way.

ei... hmm.gif dun play play oh... i think fish can heart attack also wor... i suspect i lost 2 of my ryukins to heart attack... suddenly died on two different occasions (wu yan wu gu)... ( tongue.gif maybedue to shock.....) better safe then sorry...
CyberET
haha.. how u know heart attack? laugh.gif
void
QUOTE(CyberET @ Sun 22 Feb 2004 11:28 PM)
haha.. how u know heart attack? laugh.gif

becos in the morning perfectly ok... swim here swim there... after coming from work, dead meat already... no physical disease or whatsoever... must be heart attck loh... like humans... suddenly cao like that... tongue.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sat 21 Feb 2004 09:32 AM)

Fortunately I have done the grounding work.

Dear HappyBuddha,

Let me clarify my advice against grounding tanks. I think I said only if you know what you are doing. Your fish will be fine when there is no return path, but once you grounded your tank, it will trip your ELCB which will means you have a power outage when the leak is strong enough. Your fish can die from the shock or the outage that stops all equipment.

That doesn't mean that you will not get a jab shock when it is low in level. As electricity flow thru the lowest and nearest in resistance.

The other is the choice of copper probe, why copper? Copper can be poisonous.

Prevention is better than cure, use reliable equipment. Most cases of powerhead leakage is a poor seal ... there is nothing you can do about.

I think the test pen is a good thing, or better a small multi-meter.

Cheers
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 11:10 AM)
Dear HappyBuddha,

Let me clarify my advice against grounding tanks.  I think I said only if you know what you are doing.  Your fish will be fine when there is no return path, but once you grounded your tank, it will trip your ELCB which will means you have a power outage when the leak is strong enough.  Your fish can die from the shock or the outage that stops all equipment.

That doesn't mean that you will not get a jab shock when it is low in level.  As electricity flow thru the lowest and nearest in resistance.

The other is the choice of copper probe, why copper?  Copper can be poisonous.

Prevention is better than cure, use reliable equipment.  Most cases of powerhead leakage is a poor seal ... there is nothing you can do about.

I think the test pen is a good thing, or better a small multi-meter. 

Cheers

Oh dear, I made a typo and it said I have when I meant to say I haven't grounded the tank. Sorry for the false alarm. tongue.gif

I have discarded that faulty pump and installed a brand new one. Regretfully I cut and changed the original power plug to one that fits my need and that void the warranty. So I can't exchange it. I have to buy a new one instead.

I didn't know that copper is poisonous. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, many household water pipes concealed behind walls are made of copper. Or maybe now they use stainless steel pipe leow? unsure.gif

The new pump is also made by Atman but a bigger sized one. I regret buying it. I just found out from Allan that I could install a pump made by Ehiem which runs either submerged in the tank or dry outside the tank. Damnit... installing it outside should give me a good peace of mind.

Lelong lelong... biggrin.gif
CyberET
another headache...
when installing outside, and if it fails/shorted.. may result like what reported in newspaper.. a burned house tongue.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(CyberET @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 12:22 PM)
another headache...
when installing outside, and if it fails/shorted.. may result like what reported in newspaper.. a burned house tongue.gif

Yeah hor...

Allan say can trust the German brand "e-m" wink.gif, got 3 years warranty and a publicly listed company to claim fire insurance from. biggrin.gif

"Just don't gay kiang gay kiang modify the power plug!" mad.gif

Orr. weep.gif
jhansolo
Use of copper, this best explains it?

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=11294&st=0

Although we don't have coral, but the salt we use can react and possibly harm our goldfish. Copper will over time react with water, which is why water are chlorinated in our pipes. Now-a-days it is pretty standard to deliver PVC piped house.

Alternative material, I think this is the best if you must, note the last post.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=9

Cheers
jhansolo
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 12:41 PM)
Yeah hor...

Allan say can trust the German brand "e-m" wink.gif, got 3 years warranty and a publicly listed company to claim fire insurance from.  biggrin.gif

Orr. weep.gif

I second Allan on the choice of the brand. In-line pumps are the ultimate in terms of technology as that brand is tested to only fail after "72 hrs" of sucking air. I put it in " " I can't remember but it was stated somewhere as a caution. When it fail, it stops not go up in smoke like top OHF pumps.

By the way, Spring singapore sticker should be all over the stuff that LFS sell right. I'm still seeing them unlabeled.

Cheers
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 01:46 PM)
Use of copper, this best explains it?

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?...opic=11294&st=0

Although we don't have coral, but the salt we use can react and possibly harm our goldfish.  Copper will over time react with water, which is why water are chlorinated in our pipes.  Now-a-days it is pretty standard to deliver PVC piped house.

Alternative material, I think this is the best if you must, note the last post.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?showforum=9

Cheers

Ah, salt! Occassionally I dose some OxyCure tongue1.gif which is high-class salt in my tank. Definitely don't want any copper to react with it. Thanks for the links!
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 01:52 PM)
I second Allan on the choice of the brand.  In-line pumps are the ultimate in terms of technology as that brand is tested to only fail after "72 hrs" of sucking air.  I put it in " " I can't remember but it was stated somewhere as a caution.  When it fail, it stops not go up in smoke like top OHF pumps.

By the way, Spring singapore sticker should be all over the stuff that LFS sell right.  I'm still seeing them unlabeled.

Cheers

Whoa, I'm impressed by the pump's ability to pump air for 72 hours. That alone should speaks well for the design and build quality. I'll try to get one soon. I didn't know it's called an inline pump although I did wonder why it uses hose connectors for both input and output. smile.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 12:41 PM)

Whatever you do with any electrical stuff is never modify the plug into somethingelse.

Use an adapter.

Whatever you modified will void the warrenty.

Cheers
jhansolo
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Mon 23 Feb 2004 08:55 PM)
Whoa, I'm impressed by the pump's ability to pump air for 72 hours.  That alone should speaks well for the design and build quality.  I'll try to get one soon.  I didn't know it's called an inline pump although I did wonder why it uses hose connectors for both input and output.  smile.gif

I'm really not 100% sure about the 72 hours. My failing memory .... cry.gif

In-line is the term use that you can put inbetween the main source and output destination.

For in-line pump, you can safety put it out of water as they use a different means to pull and push water, not the usual submerged pump.

Cheers
Allan
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Wed 25 Feb 2004 12:20 PM)
I'm really not 100% sure about the 72 hours.  My failing memory ....  cry.gif

In-line is the term use that you can put inbetween the main source and output destination.

For in-line pump, you can safety put it out of water as they use a different means to pull and push water, not the usual submerged pump.

Cheers

I've been using an Ehiem 1260 inline pump for my IOS tank, and only found out it can work outside the tank recently. So I converted it. I am very happy with the result because now I don't have to top-up the tank's water everyday! I suspect when it was submerged internally, the heat generated not only raised the water temperature but also contributed to the higher evaporation rate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.