Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sabao, Saba Saba. Tomasaba
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
bekko
desireless has a photo of a sabao in the gallery.
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...=si&img=522
Is there a difference between a sabao, a saba saba, and a tomasaba? All seem to be single-tail ryukin.

Thanks,
-steve
chochiss
single tail ryukin, spotted a pair when I visit a local goldfish distributor in my country. not so nice in real life...as for me.
desireless
Tamasaba and Sabao are the same thing.

I am not sure about saba saba though...
bekko
Thank you chochiss and desireless. Now the other question - why are they so expensive? You see them in every ryukin spawn. They do not seem that rare?

-steve
desireless
It is very hard to explain "rarity" when it comes to goldfish biggrin.gif (Sometimes I wonder why TVR is so much more expensive than other types of goldfishes). When something is rare, the price jets up.

Anyway for sabao, there are some requirements for any single-caudal ryukin to be considered as a good sabao. Firstly of course the body shape must be in the form of a ryukin, that is, the hump must be there. One book which I read before insist that the tail must be in the shap of a V... or rather "<" (I read from an american website that it is called a "ribbontail").

Sabao is very treasured in Japan because it is not commonly sold in shops and rarely come by. It is bred in the Niigata prefecture and also known to be hardy against coldness.

This is one high grade tamasaba:
IPB Image

Another that was sold for 6000yen

IPB Image
gohks
These are the ones we would cull first. Maybe in future we should keep everything biggrin.gif
The Matrix
single tail variety is not rare, rather due to the specification of modern fanciful goldfish varieties, these old varieties are mostly ignored. only a small handful of people breeding and selling. in many places, these are sold at very low cost or some not well versed hobbyists consider them as culls.

these single tail varieties can grow to very hugh size, around 12" to 15" and mainly groom in large outdoor pond. I guess the most famous for the single tail variety is the bristol shunbunkin. There are also single tailed oranda, ryukin, jikin, dragon eyes and even pearlscale. Some are very rare especially the dragon eyes and pearl.

For those who went to the recent Malaysia Aquafair, can see a few of these varieties. One of them actually won mah ... the shubunkin in the open class.

It pretty hard to appreciate them but for those who are seriously into the rare varieties, these are beauty especially when they swim.
chochiss
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Tue, 23 Jan 2007 3:18 pm) *

For those who went to the recent Malaysia Aquafair, can see a few of these varieties. One of them actually won mah ... the shubunkin in the open class.

The owner is a pro. To get rare fishes.......easy la for him.
kenjione
Recently Ive started to see them more often here in the fish shops. Maybe their popularity is on the rise.
bekko
Thank you all. That clears things up. Some friends saw them in Nigata on a koi buying trip and were ready to purchase until they found out the price. They were told these fish can live quite long too - like 10 to 20 years!! Twenty years is hard to believe. I don't think that even hibuna live that long.

-steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.