Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Language Lesson
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Chit Chat & Gossip
kingyoo
Hello,

Since I am an "outsider". I am very facinated with the language on this board. I love different cultures.

Anyway, what do these words mean?

Liao
Leh
Lah
meh

Also, I notice you call each other Bros? Is that short for brother? I love that!

And kekeke is laughing right?

I speak a different dialect of english when I go visit my family in Hawaii, so I am used to different culture and I always enjoy learning about people from all over the world. biggrin.gif

Thanks,

kg
CyberET
erm.. lets see...

liao means "already"
hehe..
i've ate my breakfast liao..

leh normally used to emphasis the previous word or just an extension..
no leh

as for lah.. its one of the many extensions as well..
try green water lah..

meh normally used in a form of question
you eat liao meh?

kekeke is laughing...

hehe.. all explanation not accurate as there issn't any, tried explaining as well as i could laugh.gif
kingyoo
Thanks Cyber!

That explains a lot lah! tongue.gif
HappyBuddha
Hahaha. I love this thread! It's helpful even for some local users.

You missed out another extension "wor".

I don't know wor.

It's usually used when the writer has doubts. unsure.gif:
HappyBuddha
One more to add to the library. biggrin.gif

"Woa lau" is an expression similar to "Goosh!", "Oh my god"...

Woa lau... here we already have a new board but he still haven't even visited the old one.
kingyoo
Are these words from Mandarin origin wor?

Also, what does Raffles mean?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 08:49 AM)
Are these words from Mandarin origin wor?

Also, what does Raffles mean?

Grin. They are from different dialects of mandarin.

Raffles, is the surname of Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles who is the founder of Singapore. Raffles is thus closely associated with Singapore. Raffles Hotel is probably one of the most famous "Raffles". The Singapore Sling cock-tail was first blended in its Long Bar. biggrin.gif
kingyoo
OIC.....

Great history lesson, I learn more and more each day I live.
HappyBuddha
"Paisei" is also a mandarin dialect that means the writer is embarrased. Often used two in a roll...

"Paisei paisei, I just found out that my lionhead goldfish is actually an oranda. ;)
smgutie
WOW, thanks for all these hints! Its neat how you can use these words to give emotion to written word. The closest english has come to this is emoticons. Sometimes written word can seem so cold and it is easy to misunderstand what people write.
square_guy
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 09:11 AM)
Grin.  They are from different dialects of mandarin. 

Raffles, is the surname of Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles who is the founder of Singapore.  Raffles is thus closely associated with Singapore.  Raffles Hotel is probably one of the most famous "Raffles".  The Singapore Sling cock-tail was first blended in its Long Bar.  biggrin.gif

shhh, i heard that Raffles died from VD.... shiok.gif
kingyoo
Got another one....

"blah blah blah lor"

What is "lor"?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.