Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Green Water Issue
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Newbie Issues / Say "Hi"/ Testing
namrfigk
Hi guys, I would like to ask whether green water can still form in the long run if i use a normal 2ft lighting lamp, cuz the electric bill is kinda high and my parents are complaining abt it.
(I know that a stronger lamp is needed so light can penetrate the water)

And how long should i leave the lamp on daily?
desireless
I have an article here:
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...ntry&eid=57

If you intend to create Green water out of a tank with matured filter, then chances of green water forming will not be high.

I leave my light on for subsequent brews for 8 hours daily, with the help of a timer.
namrfigk
thanks for the great article i read it already good_very.gif

to remove bb completely from my tank, is removing the filter and washing(not immersing) the airstone in boiling water enough?

do i have to scrub the glass panels?

i just bought a pl lamp yesterday 55w from polyart aquarium. however if i want to seed green water into my other 2 2ft tank do i have to buy 2 more pl lamp too?
desireless
Yes, complete removal of BB in your tank do increase possibility of green water kicking in. Yes BB exists on those slime film on the glass panel. You may get Wall algae instead.

I would suggest using fishless method. Instead of using goldfish (don't stress them), you may want to use small volume of water (3-5 litres) and throw some fish food like Hikari Lionhead to spike up the ammonia. With the strong light green water should emerge in about 7days. It will be a very smelly affair so you may want to seal the tub up.
namrfigk
To desireless:

i left my 5litres aerated tub with 2 healthy 2 inch goldfishes and 55w white lamp on 8hrs daily for 2 days now, yet water still remains clear and odourless.

Intact strings of poo collect at the bottom instead of brown residue pictured in your journal. there is also no sign of brownish material on tank wall above water surface.

i really hope to get green water by the end of the weekend, maybe u could suggest how i could speed up the process?
CyberET
5 litres tank?
namrfigk
i filled it with 5 litres of water blush.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(namrfigk @ Fri, 23 Feb 2007 9:06 pm) *
To desireless:

i left my 5litres aerated tub with 2 healthy 2 inch goldfishes and 55w white lamp on 8hrs daily for 2 days now, yet water still remains clear and odourless.

i really hope to get green water by the end of the weekend, maybe u could suggest how i could speed up the process?

if it is FL tube, you will not get anything. it should be PL tube at least or ML tube.
CyberET
anyway wait patiently, if the water stinks too bad, change 1/2 and wait, don't rush and get the fishes sick instead tongue.gif
namrfigk
according to the LFS at polyart aquarium clementi ave 2 its a pl lamp, he didnt say anything about the tube sweatingbullets.gif

can u differentiate a pl tube from other tubes just by looking?
white horse T1
ok if PL Lamp it should be all right. try 12-15 hrs a day instead of 8 hrs. it takes time, on the 8th day there should be sugar cane juice ...
Titus
5 litres of water only ah.. darn.. no wonder I brew so long no green water.. but stinking water.. ahhha

I used me 3 ft tank, probably 150 litres filled...

Guess have to dig out my toyogo box.. 5 litres can liao smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.