Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Allan's New Chinese Ranchu
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Pages: 1, 2
HappyBuddha
It's been a long time since anyone bought a chinese ranchu.

This fish was caught today at QH.

There are more similar ones.

Sorry for the lousy pic; it's under QT and I'll take nicer shots eventually.

About 5 1/2 inches in length. Love its tails and cheeks. Swims like it can't decide where it wants to go. Has coarse and uneven scales of a typical chinese ranchus. Badly faded in colour too.

It's not an expensive ranchu. biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Seacucumber
looks thai to me though..... rolleyes.gif
eroken
shiok.gif nice fish
domho7
Looks nice to me. smile.gif
HappyBuddha
I took some pics just now while I salt bath it.

Does it still looks Thai? biggrin.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
void
QUOTE(g-string @ Sat 28 Feb 2004 10:02 PM)
looks thai to me though.....  rolleyes.gif

hmmm.. but i think the scales are too big to be thai?? hehehe... usually, chinese ranchu have bigger and coarse scales... not so neat some more... well, me no ranchu expert... correct me if i'm wrong.. tongue.gif
Seacucumber
hmm....the new pics look good....
probably will look better in another 2 mths if well fed and well taken care of...

erm....btw, Fred.....ae you cohibiting with Allan??? rolleyes.gif
HappyBuddha
Kekeke. Found another half decent but strange looking pose of this ranchu. I have colour corrected this pic (there rest aren't) to show its true colour. Yes, the meaty red headgrowth has faded to orange and the red scales appears lightly orange too.

It's quite clumsy but powerful; managed to jump out of the white basin not once but twice. mad.gif

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(void @ Sun 29 Feb 2004 10:17 AM)
hmmm.. but i think the scales are too big to be thai?? hehehe... usually, chinese ranchu have bigger and coarse scales... not so neat some more... well, me no ranchu expert... correct me if i'm wrong..  tongue.gif

I think it's a chinese. For one thing, it's priced as a chinese. biggrin.gif

The scales are indeed very big, so much so they give the impression the fish is quite small in the pic when it's quite chunky.

Should have convinced Allan to buy another piece to accompany it. Oh well, maybe allan has a similar one at home.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(g-string @ Sun 29 Feb 2004 10:46 AM)
hmm....the new pics look good....
probably will look better in another 2 mths if well fed and well taken care of...

erm....btw, Fred.....ae you cohibiting with Allan???  rolleyes.gif

I'm quite good with QT so one month later Allan can start his grooming routine. Hmm... at this size, there's not much pumping to do leow right? I think it's important to restore its colour; look how badly faded those red scales are near its tummy. smile.gif

Yeee... pui pui pui. If I'm gay hor, surely I'll go with someone young and handsome! I know allan since he was in his 20s. He lives nearby and pop by often (usually with straneg Japanese tibits! shiok.gif )
Seacucumber
who says so.....???
pumping not really is to increase size mah....
that ranchu a bit skinny....
so must build mass....!
build more bulk in the stomach region...!!!
Allan
Here's another photo of the fish. Pardon the "top-view"; it's not a topview fish.

IPB Image
Allan
QUOTE(g-string @ Sun 29 Feb 2004 09:23 PM)
who says so.....???
pumping not really is to increase size mah....
that ranchu a bit skinny....
so must build mass....!
build more bulk in the stomach region...!!!

Hi gstring

I'll try to pump it up. It's a big ranchu so I have to increase his portion. biggrin2.gif I'll keep it in green water mainly to give it back its colour.

Cheers!
Seacucumber
had a similar fish in my greenwater before....
the red will get a little bit brighter and tats it....
HappyBuddha
Here's another "topview" pic of the ranchu (and my calico oranda) while it awaits to be salt bathed.

It's a powerful fish. Shortly after this pic was taken, it leap out of the basin again. mad.gif

IPB Image
max
Talk about pumping goldfish till pui pui, how? For goldfish fat is beautiful but most experts advised not to overfeed them, some even recommend feeding once a day, as little as possible, like that how to pui pui? sad.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(maxpeng @ Mon 08 Mar 2004 07:06 PM)
Talk about pumping goldfish till pui pui, how? For goldfish fat is beautiful but most experts advised not to overfeed them, some even recommend feeding once a day, as little as possible, like that how to pui pui? sad.gif

The advise of feeding once a day by an "expert" was probably targetted at casual goldfish keepers who keeps goldfish for decorative purpose. This way the water stays good for a longer period of time before requires changing.

If you ask most bros here, you'll be surprise how much they feed their prized fishes.

Don't forget to ask how often they change water too when they want to pump their fish.

biggrin.gif
max
I'm feeding twice a day, alternating between Hikari wheatgerm, Hikari spriulina, Hikari lionhead & Tetra arowana pellets, is it o.k.?

I net up excess poos oso twice a day & my water chanr is once every four days.

How about sharing with me how your brudders feed your goldfish & with what food etc happydance.gif rolleyes.gif yes.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(maxpeng @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 08:12 AM)
I'm feeding twice a day, alternating between Hikari wheatgerm, Hikari spriulina, Hikari lionhead & Tetra arowana pellets, is it o.k.?

How about sharing with me how your brudders feed your goldfish & with what food etc happydance.gif  rolleyes.gif  yes.gif

Most of us find Hikari Lionhead best for overall growth. I would feed Lionhead as the main diet and alternate between the rest as supplement. Feed them frozen bloodworms before water change if you like.

Scooping up poos is great but don't forget goldfish pees too.

But since you're changing water once every four days, your water parameters should be fine. How many percent do you change each time anyway?

Myself I use autofeeder to feed my fishes, 6 times a day. ohmy.gif When my hands are itchy, I manually feed them too. biggrin.gif
desireless
My hands every now and then also itchy. So if I am at home whole day I would feed more than 10 times in a day. Serious! tongue.gif

Actually what is the effect of overfeeding the fish? Sudden death? overturn?
CyberET
erm... effect of heavy feeding should be a better phrase...

water turns bad..
dissolved oxygen not enough..
max
One guy I met at Rainbow last week warned me against feeding more than once, saying overfeeding might affect the fragile goldfish bladder resulting in swim bladder problem. He say to maintain the roundness of the fish, he add vitamin (liquid) to the food such that he oni nit to feed them only once a day unsure.gif .

The shop next door advise against frozen bloodworm, saying there is a possibility of parasite in it. He advised wheatgerm for growth.

BTW my water change is 2/3 of the tank, introduce tap water directly with no anti chlorine, no problem so far good_very.gif .
mountain
no problem "so far" <---- how far can it go? what long term damages can it do? why does some fish die overnight when they are place directly into tap water? advice you to use anti-chlorine/anti-chloromine solution to clear up the tap water of this 2 chemicals
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 09:11 AM)
My hands every now and then also itchy. So if I am at home whole day I would feed more than 10 times in a day. Serious!  tongue.gif 

Actually what is the effect of overfeeding the fish? Sudden death? overturn?

To put in another way, overfeeding usually implies the water condition will be poor. When water condition is poor, it can lead to all sorts of problems.

Understanding above, can you really blame "overfeeding" when your fish gets sick?

NO! It's not the act of overfeeding that causes your fish to... lau sai lah, stomach explode lah, too full cannot sleep until damn stress lah... you get the idea? It's the consequences that they will produce a lot of wastes and if you don't take care of the wate allowing ammonia to creep up (for instance), they fall sick.

So... as long as you overfeed (why leh?), make sure you keep the water in pristine condition! Everything will be fine.
desireless
Ya lor.. Not advisible to use tap water direct. hmm.gif

Spend more money on good Anti Chlorine/Chloramine solution like Genesis. $7 only. Some places can get lower. Chlorine will kill the fish. Sometimes if your house area is under some water maintenence, the chlorine level might increase. In such cases, your fish die liao you also don't know why. sad.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(maxpeng @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 09:41 AM)
One guy I met at Rainbow last week warned me against feeding more than once, saying overfeeding might affect the fragile goldfish bladder resulting in swim bladder problem. He say to maintain the roundness of the fish, he add vitamin (liquid) to the food such that he oni nit to feed them only once a day unsure.gif .

The shop next door advise against frozen bloodworm, saying there is a possibility of parasite in it. He advised wheatgerm for growth. 

BTW my water change is 2/3 of the tank, introduce tap water directly with no anti chlorine, no problem so far  good_very.gif .

Stop hanging around LFS to learn about goldfishkeeping. biggrin.gif The way I see it, if you have to ask the shopkeeper, he automatically assume you're a newbie. His "advise" will therefore be very safe. Look, when you feed only once a day, your water will be in good condition. You fish may not develop fully or quickly but it will be healthy!

Simi vitamin crap? Since he gave you a free advise, now must push his product leow. Buy it, show us the pic. We need a good laugh once in a while. biggrin.gif

Frozen bloodworm got parasites? You asked Petmart har? laugh.gif FBW is actually the preferred food for many serious gfkeepers.

I'll spare my speech on you over the bomb you dropped about not using anti-chlorine. hmm.gif
max
Thanks for the tips but I strongly feel that if you don't do a complete water change there is no need for anti chlorine that is to say if you maintain 1/3 to 1/2 tank of 'old' tank water the fresh new tap water will do no harm to the goldfish at all. peace.gif peace.gif. Maybe it is bcos I don't believe in that stuff.
To get rid of chlorine, what I personally feels is it would be faster & more effective if you drop an air-stone into the container of water you want to treat, that method is how I treat & prepare water for my bettas.

I really hope I don't sound too stubborn to you gentlemen. Maybe I have not learn my lesson yet.
Seacucumber
QUOTE(maxpeng @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 09:41 AM)

BTW my water change is 2/3 of the tank, introduce tap water directly with no anti chlorine, no problem so far  good_very.gif .

he talk cock lah......hahaha....
my auto feeder for my 3 competition ranchu are opened halfway....
4 times a day at 3 hrs interval....
at night about 7-8pm, i feed one cube of bloodworms each....
power !
Seacucumber
QUOTE(maxpeng @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 08:12 AM)

How about sharing with me how your brudders feed your goldfish & with what food etc happydance.gif  rolleyes.gif  yes.gif

if your filter is matured, let your BB do the job..... shiok.gif
caster
QUOTE(g-string @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 05:31 PM)
he talk cock lah......hahaha....
my auto feeder for my 3 competition ranchu are opened halfway....
4 times a day at 3 hrs interval....
at night about 7-8pm, i feed one cube of bloodworms each....
power !

I feed 5 times a day, the first meal as earlier as 6am. and the last meal at 4pm...

excluding a daily dose of 1/2 cube of frozen blood worm per fish per day.....

also excluding supplements like, goldfish vitamin (seaweed type) + wens and backbone enhancer........

wahahahah... I know I might be over doing it.... happydance1.gif
mountain
i just throw in watever rice that is left in my rice bowl in the evening.... happydance.gif
max
Sehseh to all you brudders, I am now very convinced about the number of times I should feed my goldfish inorder for them to be pui pui. I certainly don't trust that vitamin guy hmm.gif.

I disagree with brudder HB, hanging around LFS & learn from people there is not a bad idea sometimes but I usually don't chat ask the staffs for tips, I usually gather info from patrons who are hobbyist like you & me but be careful, don't trust everything they say, if not sure check with this forum, explore...but if it is something good share it with all brudders here. I am sure sharing & exchanging of infomation is one of the objective of this forum smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif .
LASERGUY
QUOTE(maxpeng @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 05:27 PM)
Thanks for the tips but I strongly feel that if you don't do a complete water change there is no need for anti chlorine that is to say if you maintain 1/3 to 1/2 tank of 'old' tank water the fresh new tap water will do no harm to the goldfish at all.  peace.gif  peace.gif. Maybe it is bcos I don't believe in that stuff.
To get rid of chlorine, what I personally feels is it would be faster & more effective if you drop an air-stone into the container of water you want to treat, that method  is how I treat & prepare water for my bettas.

I really hope I don't sound too stubborn to you gentlemen. Maybe I have not learn my lesson yet.

What you do will only remove chlorine but not chloramine.
And bettas are totally different type of fish altogather and their tolerance level of chlorine are also definitely different also....Method used on bettas does not mean it is usable for GFs. Just ask some of our brothers like g-string who kept bettas before.....
HappyBuddha
I can almost be my own parrot.

"Aging/dissipating tap water NO LONGER WORKS in Singapore because our garman added chloramine into our tap water. Chloramine CANNOT dissipitate into air. You can't use an air stone to get rid of it. You could with chlorine, but NOT chloramine!

Always use good anti-chlorine, such as Genesis, to condition your water. It will break down Chloramine into Chlorine and Ammonia, nearly instantly."

- edited from an earlier post.

Yawn.
Seacucumber
nahiah! betta no need antichlorine one lah!
hahahaha.....
eh?? maybe thats how all my bettas die?? oops.....wahahahaha laugh.gif

hmm.....actually hor, come to think of it, if Genesis can break down chloramine into chlorine and ammnia, maybe it can help kickstart the biological filter system??
Seacucumber
QUOTE(caster @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 05:36 PM)
I feed 5 times a day, the first meal as earlier as 6am. and the last meal at 4pm...

excluding a daily dose of 1/2 cube of frozen blood worm per fish per day.....

also excluding supplements like, goldfish vitamin (seaweed type) + wens and backbone enhancer........

wahahahah... I know I might be over doing it.... happydance1.gif

backbone enchancer?? beg2.gif beg2.gif

you afraid your fish kenna osteoporosis??
hahaha.....den i must let them swim in Anlene liao.....
caster
QUOTE(g-string @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 10:48 PM)
backbone enchancer??  beg2.gif  beg2.gif

you afraid your fish kenna osteoporosis??
hahaha.....den i must let them swim in Anlene liao.....

hehehehhe... Shaun from Convenant Goldfish recommend one.... He recommeded me some Jap wen growth enhancer food .. and men it works.. I feed for 2 weeks and can see results.... yes.gif hehhehe so this time round, he recommend backbone enhance.. so I buy also... hehheheh suppose to be effective in thickening the backbone of topview ranchu...hhehehhe..... good.gif
caster
QUOTE(Hun_Citizen @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 11:00 PM)
That strange white bottle with 50percent protein???

yes......somehow it seems to work...
mountain
how much does it cost? > $20??

i saw some vits at Yishun, but man .. they dun look cheap to me .. but then where got cheap and good, only at macdonald.
mountain
no lah.. i no buy .. nv use bef4, and not endorsed by RG somemore..

scarely dip into water, suck in and clear by the filter.. wa liao .. unless the solution is blue in color.. if not dip liao go into filters.. wasted man..
caster
QUOTE(Hun_Citizen @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 11:09 PM)
Vitamins... Hmm.... hmm.gif

The Vitamin I using is recommended by AC, name is Goldfish Veggies.. manufacturer is AquaPharm..hehheheh
CyberET
i thought goldfish only absorb a small percentage of the food? thats y they love eating their own poo so much.. also y i don't bother so much with fanciful food..

"got dragon got phoenix" wink.gif
desireless
QUOTE(caster @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 10:56 PM)
Jap wen growth enhancer food  .. and men it works.. I feed for 2 weeks and can see results....  yes.gif hehhehe

Got such thing meh?! ohmy.gif Bro caster, what brand is that?
My ranchu's wen subside until nothing left liao mad.gif I have been trying different brand of pellet and live food still no help. Other than the Convenant where else got sell?
HappyBuddha
Wah liew...

I'm waiting for someone to tell me the "Metal Green" supplement sold at TFT (for instance) also works.

laugh.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(caster @ Tue 09 Mar 2004 11:18 PM)
The Vitamin I using is recommended by AC, name is Goldfish Veggies.. manufacturer is AquaPharm..hehheheh

Who use this product raise your hand please.

BASKET, I see two uncles raised leow. biggrin.gif

Don't be shy; it's very tasty.
caster
QUOTE(desireless @ Wed 10 Mar 2004 12:14 AM)
Got such thing meh?!  ohmy.gif  Bro caster, what brand is that?
My ranchu's wen subside until nothing left liao mad.gif  I have been trying different brand of pellet and live food still no help. Other than the Convenant where else got sell?

So far I know.... only Convenant Goldfish have, HOR's sean also say very effective...... but he don't carry any, he say he will be bring some in and sell soon......
caster
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 10 Mar 2004 06:46 AM)

BASKET, I see two uncles raised leow.  biggrin.gif

wah... so that goldfish veggies is proven ??

hehehehhe I only know my goldfish love it..... effective or not, I don't know....... smile.gif

Wanted to buy more the other day but AC say out of stocks sad.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(caster @ Wed 10 Mar 2004 09:32 AM)
wah... so that goldfish veggies is proven ??

hehehehhe I only know my goldfish love it..... effective or not, I don't know....... smile.gif

Wanted to buy more the other day but AC say out of stocks sad.gif

The poo poos are green in colour although the Macro Algae is brown. Wonder why....

Good ah!

... my pants on fire again.
LASERGUY
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 10 Mar 2004 06:46 AM)

BASKET, I see two uncles raised leow.  biggrin.gif

Eh eh eh, what uncle you are refering to... rusure.gif

I got one from AC also, try it not because of the vitamins lah but because of the red algae which they claimed to be natural color enhancer...
yeti
QUOTE(Allan @ Wed 03 Mar 2004 08:07 PM)
Here's another photo of the fish.  Pardon the "top-view"; it's not a topview fish.

hi
how do you know if it is top view or sideway view? you have any writeup of how to choose?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.