Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: White Ranchu with Lemon/Pineapple Head
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
small_ranchu
Like I said from the title, what do you think about my new fish? Thank you.

IPB Image
small_ranchu
I would like to hear some honest comment as well. smile.gif So I can learn more. Thanks
bekko
I think it is very nice, but at $80 US (plus $50 shipping = $130 US) it is way over-priced. Tommy Hui has some nice fish, but they are not cheap.

-steve
small_ranchu
Steve,
This is the only place where I can find a good quality fish unfortunately. How about in your state? Is it easy to find good quality fish in lfs? Thanks.
Fred
Damo
It's really nice although I think the tail looks a bit big
goldrush
How big is this fish?

Great back,good angled tail(just abit too big)Nice wen and contrasting red eyes.Scales appear neat and tidy.Swimming looks great without hint of any buoyancy problem good_very.gif

Overall a good specimen.Very rare to find especially in places like US
small_ranchu
Thanks my friends... He is about 4" and you can find more pic here.
http://goldfishnet.com/ItemDetails.asp?i=1847

Thanks again.
Fred
bekko
QUOTE(small_ranchu @ Thu, 10 May 2007 12:43 am) *

Is it easy to find good quality fish in lfs?

Fred,

My comment was rude and thoughtless Fred.

We can find decent goldfish in the lfs but you would have to look around a bit to find one as nice as yours. There is a pretty strong goldfish culture here and the high demand results in more supply. Where I lived on the mainland US that was not the case.

I have been raising wakin and bought fish twice from Tommy when developing broodstock. Guess I shouldn't have told him about breeding because in the six fish I bought there was not a single female. rusure.gif I think the odds of that happening by chance are about one in thirty-two. Then, I figured out how to get the same quality for about 15% of the price

We have a local club (Hawaii Goldfish and Carp Association) and found that the best way to get fish at a reasonable price is to chip in and have a few boxes sent directly from China or Japan. We have bought from Tung Hoi and a Japanese guy representing some breeders there. With the new SVC regulations it is cheaper to work through a dealer or broker. If you know enough people to get a $300-$600 order together, the price goes way down.

-steve
small_ranchu
Hi Steve,

No, I don't consider it rude. You were telling the truth. His products are expensive and shipping cost make it worst.

I don't know it is 100% true but I read somewhere online saying breeder tends to hold a good quality female. They will sell the show quality male but not the female for their breeding purpose.

We have a local club (Hawaii Goldfish and Carp Association) and found that the best way to get fish at a reasonable price is to chip in and have a few boxes sent directly from China or Japan. We have bought from Tung Hoi and a Japanese guy representing some breeders there. With the new SVC regulations it is cheaper to work through a dealer or broker. If you know enough people to get a $300-$600 order together, the price goes way down.

This is a good idea. I am going to join my local club soon. But the problem is we don't have a decent goldfish culture.

I guess I should move to Hawaii (oh living cost is expensive, is it true?)
CP
Fred,
Over here in Singapore,its nuts if you have to pay US$130 for this piece.Probably can obtain one for under US$15.But then again, for the price of a normal Japanese saloon car here, you can probably get yourself a decent Ferrari in the US. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(bekko @ Fri, 11 May 2007 2:02 pm) *

Guess I shouldn't have told him about breeding because in the six fish I bought there was not a single female. rusure.gif I think the odds of that happening by chance are about one in thirty-two.

Steve,
To end up with all six males is one in sixty four.
To end up with all six of the same sex, whether all males OR all females, is one in thirty two.

For the benefit of those interested in numbers. wink.gif
bekko
biggrin.gif
QUOTE(CP @ Fri, 11 May 2007 2:50 am) *

Steve,
To end up with all six males is one in sixty four.
To end up with all six of the same sex, whether all males OR all females, is one in thirty two.
I stand corrected.

Another company which a club can deal with directly (or through an import broker) is Sunny Aquarium Company there in Singapore. Do you guys have anything to say about them or the quality of their goldfish?

-steve
small_ranchu
My new question: Some people said Ranchu w/ big tail will not grow.
Why? Anybody experiencing it?
CP
Its incorrect to say that ranchus with big tail will not grow.

Sizes of tails, fins and eyes in relation to the fish size is an indication for identifying stunt / runt fishes.Your fish shown has large tails and fins compared to the body; but the eyes looks OK.I am not sure whether this piece is stunted, though.

Here's a previous discussion on identification of stunt fish:
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...945&hl=runt
small_ranchu
Finally, I have a chance to take pics

IPB Image

IPB Image
KOIUNIT
QUOTE(bekko @ Fri, 11 May 2007 2:02 pm) *

Fred,

We can find decent goldfish in the lfs but you would have to look around a bit to find one as nice as yours. There is a pretty strong goldfish culture here and the high demand results in more supply. Where I lived on the mainland US that was not the case.

I have been raising wakin and bought fish twice from Tommy when developing broodstock. Guess I shouldn't have told him about breeding because in the six fish I bought there was not a single female. rusure.gif I think the odds of that happening by chance are about one in thirty-two. Then, I figured out how to get the same quality for about 15% of the price

-steve

Steve, when the next time you and the other guys goin in on a shipment let me know shiok.gif It is getting harder and harder to find nice goldfish here in Cali...

Also was wondering about the "Lemon" head thing on goldfish. In Koi a "Lemon" head would mean it is either male or shiroji no good...is it common to label goldfish with "lemon" head?
small_ranchu
I agree w/ you KU. It's very very VERY difficult to find a nice goldfish in NY too. Can I get something from your shipment too? smile.gif

I don't have answer for "Lemon head thing". I originally purchase as a white ranchu and people called it "Lemon head". smile.gif
desireless
It is referring to the yellowish head/wens colour.

In china it is called "菠萝" or pineapple. This term "菠萝猫狮" came from naming of lionhead with yellowish wens, which looks like pineapple indeed:

The head is considered yellow when you compare it the white body good_very.gif
CHLeong
Looks like lemon head it is getting popular and lucky I have a pair.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.