Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Breed (Squid Ranchu, Butterfly Ryukin)
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
CyberET
QUOTE(dragonfly_sg @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 01:40 AM)
Actually there is an attempt ongoing to try to breed a type of Ranchu that looks like a squid. If I remember correctly, it has telescopic eyes. biggrin.gif

hehe.. yeah, its called the squid ranchu
The Matrix
new line of goldfish coming right up .... sorry no pics ...

1. celestial butterfly moor
2. dragon eyes pompom crown pearl
3. long tail ranchu
CyberET
QUOTE(demekin @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 11:59 AM)
new line of goldfish coming right up .... sorry no pics ...

1. celestial butterfly moor
2. dragon eyes pompom crown pearl
3. long tail ranchu

oh no.. more fishes to collect! gotta get em all! "Pokemon" laugh.gif
dennis
QUOTE(CyberET @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 09:39 AM)

hehe.. yeah, its called the squid ranchu.

Ahh.... that quote was from AF smile.gif

I was trying to tell the guy who spotted the pop eye ranchu that there is actually a squid like ranchu. But I guess what the guy saw was probably a ranchu that have been in high nitrate for too long laugh.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(dennis @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 13:49 PM)
Ahh.... that quote was from AF smile.gif

I was trying to tell the guy who spotted the pop eye ranchu that there is actually a squid like ranchu. But I guess what the guy saw was probably a ranchu that have been in high nitrate for too longĀ   laugh.gif

hehe.. yeah laugh.gif
HappyBuddha
No nice sir.

Many pple like ranchu becoz of the overall body shape, rounded and chunky.

These have long skinny body like a typical bubble eyes. yuks.

Sure, the eyes are big... but are they still tasty when you deep fry them? tongue.gif
dennis
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 15:01 PM)
Sure, the eyes are big... but are they still tasty when you deep fry them?  tongue.gif

I guess the babies ones will taste nicer rolleyes.gif:
CyberET
QUOTE(dennis @ Thu 27 Nov 2003 00:39 AM)
I guess the babies ones will taste nicer  rolleyes.gif:

ooo.. do add some seasoning as well B)
kingyoo
Here is pic of telescope ranchu sold at Goldfishconnection, USA.

IPB Image
CyberET
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Thu 27 Nov 2003 01:55 AM)

hey! looks not bad either!!
kingyoo
Looks like an alien from outerspace.
dennis

Looks like a characters out of a comic book biggrin.gif

Or what we would say "So Cartoon" laugh.gif
The Matrix

not bad at all. Interesting coloration.

How about more new species that many here never will imagine ....

Out in market already ... go search for it and have a real good look ...

4. Short tail dragon eye ryukin
5. Long tail dragon eyes ryukin
CyberET
QUOTE(demekin @ Thu 27 Nov 2003 13:33 PM)
not bad at all. Interesting coloration.

How about more new species that many here never will imagine ....

Out in market already ... go search for it and have a real good look ...

4. Short tail dragon eye ryukin
5. Long tail dragon eyes ryukin

wah lau, i though dragoneye crown pearl is nice already, i wonder how would dragon eye ryukin look happydance.gif
kingyoo
Unusual variety..... Ryukin with tosakin type tail. Again from gfc, who buys his fish from China, Japan, Thailand.

IPB Image

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Fri 28 Nov 2003 08:00 AM)
Unusual variety..... Ryukin with tosakin type tail.  Again from gfc, who buys his fish from China, Japan, Thailand.

IPB ImageIPB Image

Wow, I like this one!

I read that the chinese farmers are going to mass breed this new variety of Ryukin with a Tosakin tails. So hang'on, it may be widely available in no time at all.

Woo hoo! happydance1.gif
Jos Nana
That's a ryukin with butterfly tail. Not Tosakin tail.

First seen 4 years ago in Tanglin Mall, so not very rare. This line of fish is now a confirm and steady breed from Tung Hoi. Very expensive.
kingyoo
Longtail ranchu froghead?

IPB Image
kingyoo
That's a ryukin with butterfly tail. Not Tosakin tail.

Hmmm.... I don't think butterfly. The lobes are not split. Unless butterfly is something different in Singapore. Here in USA the butterfly tail is 2 seperate lobes.
CyberET
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Fri 28 Nov 2003 15:10 PM)
Longtail ranchu froghead?

i seen it before, its not a ranchu, erm, frogfish or egg something.. also during a recent exhibition, there was a ryukin butterfly at display, butterflies with "deformed" joined tail can be mistaken as tosakins wink.gif
Jos Nana
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Fri 28 Nov 2003 15:13 PM)

Hmmm.... I don't think butterfly.  The lobes are not split.  Unless butterfly is something different in Singapore.  Here in USA the butterfly tail is 2 seperate lobes.

Many butterflies have joint tails. The differentiation bet butterflies and Tosakin is at the 2 tails ends. Tosakin tails curls downwards and twist forward at the sametime.

At the old ezyboard forum, someone shot a video of a Tosakin on display by Tung Hoi. Maybe that will help.
The Matrix
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Fri 28 Nov 2003 15:13 PM)

Hmmm.... I don't think butterfly.  The lobes are not split.  Unless butterfly is something different in Singapore.  Here in USA the butterfly tail is 2 seperate lobes.

It's a butterfly tail lah ! Tosakin tail ryukin is TOSAKIN lor.

A true butterfly tail cost over S$400 to over S$1K. Almost the same price as a jap tosakin.
kingyoo
Many butterflies have joint tails. The differentiation bet butterflies and Tosakin is at the 2 tails ends. Tosakin tails curls downwards and twist forward at the sametime.

At the old ezyboard forum, someone shot a video of a Tosakin on display by Tung Hoi. Maybe that will help.

Yes, a butterfly could have a webbed tail. But shouldn't that fish be culled? Not worth anything....

I do know the difference between butterfly and tosakin tail. I have 1 chocolate butterfly and 2 tosakin.

But tosakin tails only twist forward and downward curl with proper training and genetics. A young tosakin does not have a downward tail end. Sometimes bad training can ruin a tosakin tail. But it doesn't matter in this case, this fish is neither a butterfly or tosakin. It is a hybrid variety that is more of a curiousity with nice color pattern. Also, I had described as tosakin type tail. No tosakin tail.
HappyBuddha
The mentioned video of a swimming Tosakin can be download from here (1.2MB .ZIP file -- right-click and save to disk).

On closer look, that's really not a tosakin tail but like sis kingyoo said, tosakin-like tails.

But now I'm confused. A Ryukin with a (real) Tosakin tails is a Tosakin?? unsure.gif

I'm not familiar with Tosakin, having only seen one real life one but it never hits me that the body of a Tosakin resembles a Ryukin. The hump is small, the head is too big and the body not rounded enough... compared to a good Ryukin.

So how come a Tosakin tail Ryukin is a Tosakin? I could photoshop any one of bro laser's new Ryukins shiok.gif and attach a tosakin tails to it. I bet you won't say that's a Tosakin or at least... a weird looking one.
kingyoo
I agree with bros happybuddah, it is strange that when I read about tosakin, the description says ryukin body..... However, when I see pics of champion tosakin, they DON'T have ryukin body. Small hump, more egg shape, large,but pointy head, eyes set far back.

Maybe tosakin started off with more classic ryukin body, but got more stylized as the breeding program progressed.

I love tosakin. I like to watch mine swim. They are terrible swimmers, but cute waddle motion. AND what I like the most is that they are very, very friendly. They let me pet them and stick their heads out of the water when I walk by. (of course begging for food)
The Matrix
Does ryukin looks like wakin ? or a ranchu to a lionhead ?

Present ryukin body as what we know today took the shape and form thru many years of development and of course, to the demand of the general public and in the hands of expert breeders. This is true to many other types of goldfish today just like a nicely curve back ranchu instead of it's original line of straight back lionhead. Else, we will be still talking about the common goldfish. Probably in the next couple of years, things might have changed.

Tosakin was developed in Japan and originated from a ryukin. It does not mean that tosakin must be of the shape of a ryukin today. Look at some of the "no-so-good" ryukins, they do have the shape of a tosakin.

Of course, tosakin must have the standard joint tail and becos of this trademark, some of the butterfly tail that have the 2 lopes joined got to be named as "tosakin" look-alike tail. But this is incorrect. Look carefully at a tosakin tail, it's not the same as a joint tail butterfly.

Dun confuse yourself as what u see and know today.

Do you know few hundred years ago, lionhead are imperial fish and cannot be kept by commoners ?
kingyoo
Kingyoo says
Maybe tosakin started off with more classic ryukin body, but got more stylized as the breeding program progressed.

Demekin says
Tosakin was developed in Japan and originated from a ryukin. It does not mean that tosakin must be of the shape of a ryukin today. Look at some of the "no-so-good" ryukins, they do have the shape of a tosakin.

So we agree! Yay!
The Matrix
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Sun 30 Nov 2003 03:11 AM)
So we agree!  Yay!

well, at least the jap still hold the secrets of breeding and keeping of the tosakin.
kingyoo
Well not all tosakin breeding and keeping are secrects.

Here is some info I found before I bought my tosakin.

Of course there are still many, many more top secrets I am sure.

Tosakin Keeping Secrets from Japan
The Matrix
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Sun 30 Nov 2003 13:46 PM)
Well not all tosakin breeding and keeping are secrects.

Here is some info I found before I bought my tosakin.

Of course there are still many, many more top secrets I am sure.

Tosakin Keeping Secrets from Japan

these are not even secrets. Normal stuffs that many keepers know.
kingyoo
Well demekin, YOU beg2.gif must be very knowledgable about goldfish where I am not.

The keeping of tosakin to me was a mystery until I read this link, so it helped me a lot with mine. Which are very healthy with beautiful tails.

I gues I will keep thoughts to myself as there is NOTHING that you don't already know. wink.gif

Unless I am mistaken, it seems that you are very adversarial towards me. If I have taken your comments on this and other threads wrongly, then I appologize. If I am correct, then I humbly ask that you refrain from replying to my posts in such a negative manner.

Peace

kg
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(CyberET @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 09:39 AM)
hehe.. yeah, its called the squid ranchu

I found a clear and sharp pic bro fever posted at AF ...

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(kingyoo @ Fri 28 Nov 2003 08:00 AM)
Unusual variety..... Ryukin with tosakin type tail.  Again from gfc, who buys his fish from China, Japan, Thailand.

"At this camera angle, it looks like a tosakin but is really a Ryukin with a butterfly tail. The original poster in chinagoldfish.net mentioned the farm will attemp to mass breed this new breed, which is potentially more beatiful than tosakin. Keep your fingers crossed." - me@af.com

IPB Image
smgutie
eeek, i cant see these ones either. good_no.gif is it just me?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(smgutie @ Thu 04 Dec 2003 13:30 PM)
eeek, i cant see these ones either.  good_no.gif is it just me?

Sorry. The pics were remotely linked and right-clicking to save to disk doesn't work on some browsers.

I've attached the pics instead. smile.gif
kingyoo
That is a beautiful fish. Nice calico markings too. I love the way the tail sweeps out like that. I can envision how it moves.

I hope they develop this variety a lot more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.