Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: In Conversation With Our Local Goldfish Sensei
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
Yesterday afternoon despite the fierce heat and sweltering weather,I decided to pay a courtesy call to Vermillion goldfish club/ozeki club, both headed by the distinguished and highly regarded,Mr Alvin Lim.I didn’t have much trouble in gaining audience with such a busy man. Amidst the serene and tranquil backdrop,vermillion /ozeki stand and occupy several thousand square feet of land with cement tanks of various sizes.

A warm reception awaited for me by non other than the humble CEO,himself. To me he live up to his fame as a man with impeccable insight. As soon as I got there,we wasted no time as he ushered me to his makeshift reception counter to sign in as guest. Security was tight as I could see that the area was very well fenced up to deter any intruders and unwanted guests . A few members could be seen doing maintenance schedule ,repairing autofeeding devices and water changes. No time wasting here!

He beamed with pride and joy as he showed me his member’s ponds and never hesitated to waddle through the brewing green water to fish out some of the harvest to make his point known.These fish reared in this brew were characterized by good brightness.lustre,girth and exceptional growth.

“Wow this is a good fish”I uttered
This ryukin has grown better than I expected.Alvin chuckled
Talking happily,he continued to put some into a floating basket for my close inspection.
Suddenly he broke into a serious tone.”That is my experimental pond”he continued.
“We pick up in China how they rear Ryukins.
“How big is this pond?”I asked
After some mental calculation,he answered ”I think about 500 5000 gallons”
Wow that’s about 2000 20,000 litres with only 6 medium to large sized ryukin (300 3000 litres to 1 fish)
“That’s nothing compared to the Chinese where they offered growing ponds for ryukins as big as a football field!” he retorted.
He further explained the concept of water changing, the source of the water, the importance of seeding and the feeding regime.
As dark cloud gathered over an overcast sky, the temperature dropped invitingly to a more comfortable level for us to proceed to further discus our agenda.Here are further excepts of what was discussed.

Goldrush:”So how many members do you have?

Alvin:Close to 30

Goldrush:”So some of your members can hold dual membership, both Ozeki and Vermillion?

Alvin:That is correct

Goldrush:”So is it expensive to rent these ponds?

Alvin:It is in fact more economical than keeping the fishes at home. Imagine the dollars you have to pay if you maintain a large pond like the one you saw just now at home.

Alvin:The organizer of Aquarama was very impressed with our goldfish entries this year .they asked me what did I do.I say I did nothing

Goldrush interrupted:Haha that you have too thank RG(self praise)You see before any major competition,RG will have a preview brain storming session to iron out any impending problems.It will also carry post mortem review to discuss the various shortfalls.

Alvin:Actually RG has done a marvelous job and Ken(Desireless)has showed good leadership qualities to lead RG to what it is today.I was thinking into linking RG to our website with your forum to better propagate our common goldfish interest

Goldrush:To me RG has made considerable progress through these years ehhhh…shall I put it as an evolution with the primordial principle of non commercial intent remaining intact.

Alvin:That should be the way to run the club as well.We don’t want exceptional rich people around to call the shorts,buy titles ,assume power and messing with politics.

Goldrush:”Let us talk about fishes.What do you think a Thai oranda compared to the Chinese oranda
Alvin:IMO the thai fish can never match the Chinese oranda in physiques.

He went on to elaborate the anatomical structure of the head and the skull and the shoulder (space between the head and the dorsal area)where the Chinese fish give ample space for future growth and stature.

Alvin:Take a look at this year Thai Oranda winner…..It has all the trademark of Tung Hoi genes in the making.

Wow this a true master in the making….Goldrush mused

Alvin:So after tasting some thrill in competing,will we see more of you?

Goldrush:Actually I had my first competition some 20 years ago where show were conducted by LFS association and fish had to be showed as pair.

Alvin replied with a bit of nostalgia…..Hmmmmm now I may recalled someone with doctor title was an ardent exhibitor then.Maybe that’s you.

Goldrush blushed and continued:Those were the days fishes had to shown in pairs and we had to pip our selection against the big timer LFS

Alvin:In the 90’s Aquarama,I got a third place entry.That’s when AC(aquatic connection) won with a red and a black ranchus.

Goldrushyes.gif I remembered that pair then.

Alvin:So you go down to Machoranchu in the 80s

Goldrush:Most definitely.I missed that big guy.He was such a talent

Alvin:IMO he single handedly brought koi and goldfish to such unprecedented level back then.I missed his Saturday’s classified advertisement poems which he will entice you to come and join the party.

Goldrushoh.gif yes Saturday night shipment was a total frenzy.

Alvin:I was always there but never buy any because the price was too exorbitant then.I was only earning some $700

Alvin:Did you see his Ryukin?

Goldrush:Definitely

Alvin:The Japanese was the one that brought the best of this breed but sad to say they no longer produce such beauty.The Chinese overrun them completely.However if you had noticed then the ryukin with its majestic prowess ,vibrant colors and sharp dual color demarcation are no longer in the present Chinese breed

Goldrush:So sad

Alvin:The Japanese master is still very much alive but can only produce what I deem as commercial graded ryukins

Alvin:In the past 10 years or so,the Chinese has been progressing leaps and bounds in producing new varieties, new colors in relative short time.They truly understand the concept of cross breeding,in breeding and out crossing to bring out the best ad fix a desirable strain or feature in any selected breed.

Goldrush:What are your words to a keeper who intend to pursue further in the keeping of goldfish especially in green water pond management.

Alvin:Dedication,passion plus tender loving care .The art of goldfish keeping has some divine relation to it than it meets the eye.Fish will respond to your care and a personal touch(chiu –seh)is very important.It can be a selfish hobby and try not to share pond among your friends as it will leave very little for your own fish to response to your divided care.

Goldrush Do you think the sun is imperative in goldfish keeping

Alvin:Hahaha that is one experiment which I need you to figure out.How’s that for a challenge?

Goldrush recoiled with a tinge of embarrassment
“Me ???Maybe sometime in the future

Alvin Do you know that personally I have never believed in color enhancing products and their claimed properties.For me the algae in the green are the only natural proven color enhancers.

Goldrush contemplate in silence for a moment.There is some true in this statement as we all know color pigments of carotenoid origin are synthesized by plants,and animals have no ability to synthesize themselves.The color of the body which is red is the one taken from the outside of the body.Therefore if carotenoid-containing food is not fully supplied to the fish,the beautiful red will not stay.I have my reservation on his opinion that the carotenoid rich food can only be found naturally in the algae as other forms of artificial or natural occurring astaxanthin based feed can do likewise.

With that a distant thunder rumbled to signal the end of my fruitful dialogue with a man with such profound dedication to the goldfish industry .We at RG certainly wishes and to look to you for your continual support and proper guidance. Thank you

Pheww sweatingbullets.gif what an interview
The Matrix
Got put suntan lotion or not ? there is a bottle from face shop there. biggrin.gif

i am sure in the near future, RG could organise learning trip for members to the farm.
white horse T1
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Mon, 11 Jun 2007 9:28 pm) *

i am sure in the near future, RG could organise learning trip for members to the farm.

RG where got money..........to even sustain this website also headache. wacko.gif

next yr, web administrators may have to sell backside already
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Mon, 11 Jun 2007 8:40 pm) *

.........As soon as I got there,we wasted no time as he ushered me to his makeshift reception counter to sign in as guest..........

I too,had the oppurtunity to tour the place last year but was not asked to signed any guest book leh.Maybe its because I'm no VIP...... biggrin.gif

He too showed me around, patiently explaining the insights of his clubs' hobby and hobbbyists, his members passion and commitments..........

Tremendous dedication from the leader and his members beg2.gif .........and I take this oppurtunity to thank Alvin Lim here in this thread now that Goldrush has made the effort having it penned.
goldrush
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Mon, 11 Jun 2007 10:18 pm) *

RG where got money..........to even sustain this website also headache. wacko.gif

next yr, web administrators may have to sell backside already

Farm visit must pay meh?
QUOTE(The Matrix @ Mon, 11 Jun 2007 9:28 pm) *

Got put suntan lotion or not ? there is a bottle from face shop there. biggrin.gif

Your sensei told me to bring a cap but I brought a farmer's hat instead. Anyway the weather was very kind ..so no need any protection. biggrin.gif
white horse T1
QUOTE(goldrush @ Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:18 pm) *

Farm visit must pay meh?
biggrin.gif

for one person ok, for a few busloads ohmy.gif .....folks here have high expectations......transport ,liondance, buffet, drinks, suntan lotion.......... money not enough....
The Matrix
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Tue, 12 Jun 2007 7:51 am) *

for one person ok, for a few busloads ohmy.gif .....folks here have high expectations......transport ,liondance, buffet, drinks, suntan lotion.......... money not enough....

Not a buy fish trip wor ... see only. but see also no use, all green green one. so wont hv busloads one lah. even need bus, i believe can be "scheduled". lions dun hv lah, a few dogs to run around. hahahahaha.
KokiBali
Thanks for sharing, Doc. Met with Alvin in Jakarta some time in July last year, he truly is a humble sensei.

Rgds,
William
jimcity
Doc,
You got wear our RG T-shirt or not? biggrin.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(jimcity @ Tue, 12 Jun 2007 2:09 pm) *

Doc,
You got wear our RG T-shirt or not? biggrin.gif

Walau eh I go naked everybody also know..............too notorious liao either you sstar.gif sstar.gif sstar.gif me or tomato.gif tomato.gif tomato.gif me
CHLeong
Doc,
Good report and I enjoy reading it!

Would be good to see more of this report and how about a Thailand or Japan trip report?
goldrush
QUOTE(CHLeong @ Tue, 12 Jun 2007 7:58 pm) *

Doc,
Good report and I enjoy reading it!

Would be good to see more of this report and how about a Thailand or Japan trip report?

You sponsor me ,I promise to write beautifully for all biggrin.gif
goldrush
Admendment:
The experimental pond for ryukins (to simulate the environment for ryukins bred in China) is 5000 gallons in capacity, not 500 gallons, as was previously reported.
jimcity
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 1:10 am) *

Admendment:
The experimental pond for ryukins (to simulate the environment for ryukins bred in China) is 5000 gallons in capacity, not 500 gallons, as was previously reported.

That is about 6 X 4 X 0.83 meter in size! Wooow I can swim in it! shiok.gif
CHLeong
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 12 Jun 2007 8:17 pm) *

You sponsor me ,I promise to write beautifully for all biggrin.gif

Ok, I will pay for your taxi fares.
kitsilano
QUOTE(CHLeong @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:13 am) *

Ok, I will pay for your taxi fares.

TAXI!!!.....walau Taxi to Thailand still possible, but taxi to Japan...beats me. unsure.gif unsure.gif blush.gif

Regards

Kitsilano
goldrush
One of Alvin’s parting question set my mind going bonkers wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

So are you convince of green water?

I never doubted the benefits of green water but I only doubted its universal acceptance in our very home.Our home minister for one will protest vehemently of its implementation at home.The smell of green algae and sugar cane juice mixing would be too much for most to swallow or rather smell and see for that matter .It’s either you love your wife more or love your fish even moreThere can never be two ways about it.You have your pick.I love her more so I stick to clear.At least I still get to keep some decent fish.I don’t want another home away from home.In my wife’s eyes it’s no difference from keeping mistresses!!!!

For now I can only stay CLEAR of green and stay CLEAR nananana.gif
gohks
Goldrush,
One thing I found about our opposite sex is they usually get accustom to things quite easily. So if you nv try you will nv know her response. The most she blow for few days and if we just turn a deaf ears, sooner she will and has to accept her fate!.

How come from Alvin's farm visit we end up discussing this laugh.gif
CHLeong
QUOTE(kitsilano @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 10:31 am) *

TAXI!!!.....walau Taxi to Thailand still possible, but taxi to Japan...beats me. unsure.gif unsure.gif blush.gif

Regards

Kitsilano

Hello friend, don't need to highlight the word taxi to such big font. We all know about "Taxi".
kitsilano
QUOTE(CHLeong @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 4:50 pm) *

Hello friend, don't need to highlight the word taxi to such big font. We all know about "Taxi".

Yeah taxi also kanna dragged through the mud.
LASERGUY
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 3:59 pm) *

One of Alvin’s parting question set my mind going bonkers wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif

So are you convince of green water?

I never doubted the benefits of green water but I only doubted its universal acceptance in our very home.Our home minister for one will protest vehemently of its implementation at home.The smell of green algae and sugar cane juice mixing would be too much for most to swallow or rather smell and see for that matter .It’s either you love your wife more or love your fish even moreThere can never be two ways about it.You have your pick.I love her more so I stick to clear.At least I still get to keep some decent fish.I don’t want another home away from home.In my wife’s eyes it’s no difference from keeping mistresses!!!!
For now I can only stay CLEAR of green and stay CLEAR nananana.gif

For me, I simply just ask her, "Eh lau po, you want me to keep fishes or keep siow lau po (mistresses) ?"
Now, she goes around telling her friends that I kept a lot of siow lau po (mistresses)...... rusure.gif rusure.gif rusure.gif
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 3:59 pm) *

The smell of green algae and sugar cane juice mixing would be too much for most to swallow or rather smell and see for that matter .

I have to disagree with you here; unless I am weird.

Green water does not stink; in fact, I find the smell rather refreshing.Its not to say that I LIKE the smell of it, but during water changes and despite the poos floating around,I find the smell rather refreshing.Much like when you walk past workers in the midst of cutting grass.

Similiarly in our home filtered tank, the water should not stink.I think many do not realise that our nose is actually a good instrument to detect bad water quality.You cannot be sure that water quality is good just because it does not stink; but you can be sure that quality is bad if it stinks.
goldrush
QUOTE(CP @ Wed, 13 Jun 2007 8:29 pm) *

I have to disagree with you here; unless I am weird.

Green water does not stink; in fact, I find the smell rather refreshing.Its not to say that I LIKE the smell of it, but during water changes and despite the poos floating around,I find the smell rather refreshing.Much like when you walk past workers in the midst of cutting grass.

Similiarly in our home filtered tank, the water should not stink.I think many do not realise that our nose is actually a good instrument to detect bad water quality.You cannot be sure that water quality is good just because it does not stink; but you can be sure that quality is bad if it stinks.

Practitioner of green water may not smell it as they are conditioned by its frequent exposure.(Palov effect)My wife often complains of my hands having the grassy smell after I have scrubbed down some algae.

Here is the scientific proof to dispell your belief that algae does not smell[

http://72.14.235.104/search?q=cache:nqvZ5K...;cd=9&gl=sg

Read on the section on Chlorophyta for a better understanding

I never say it STINKS but it certainly has a smell yes.gif

Green to a green should smell just as sweet
The Matrix
Expose more and you will have a "green" hand ..... soak yourself you and u become a hulk ... erh ... hunk i mean. hahahahaha

erh .... yr wife always smell yr hands meh ? wah .... i tot your patients will complaint more.
goldrush
Hey guys after I pose the above,I had to let my wife read it and she just laugh over it.Sometime you need to appease the home minister's opinion to get away with more things to come.

That's how I ended with....

outdoor i got one 20 ton pond,7 assorted tanks/tubs and only ONE green water tub

indoor i got another 6 tanks plus one 1 FGT but no green water.

More like the GREEN GOBLIN rather than green hunk puke.gif

Don't make me a GREEN EYED MONSTER by seeing your fish develop in GREEN
I maybe a GREEN HORN in green water and certainly no GREEN THUMB in cultivating GREENERY
but I do know when my fish looks GREEN AROUND THE GILLS showoff.gif
bekko
My beloved Home Minister is green water expert - much better than me. She maintains algae for a shrimp hatchery and makes the best green water for raising Moina and daphnia. But, she wants the inside pond at home to be sparkling clean and beautiful. She even complains if I put in a spawning mat.

-steve
gohks
Tell your wife people has been using green algae for spa treatment, she would understand biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.