Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Feeder
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
HappyBuddha
This thread is a continuation from an old thread at our ezboard.

==

I was looking high and low for a way to mount my autofeeder. Those plastic light diffuser works... but I'm not sure if it's very sturdy.

I found an alternative. It's meant for use in the kitchen where you dry your wet cups.

IPB Image

As you can see, it has little feet that stick out preventing the stand from dropping into the tank. The length (from feet to feet) is 15 inches.

IPB Image

I'm actually using it for my little tub; it comes with a stand so I could just sit the whole thing in the middle of the tub. Looks like an oil rig eh? biggrin.gif Yes, that's my handphone - my ranchus likes to SMS their buddies, and no, you cannot have my rubber ducky -- the best tankmate for goldfish! biggrin.gif

How Much and Where to Buy? smile.gif

$1.90.

First hardware shop that is at the diagonal block opposite and less than 10 footsteps away from ... PetMart!

Only 6-7 pieces left but it comes in different sizes as well.

How good is it?

Very steady. The autofeeder could sit on the stand securely.
Ranchus
Wah... Good idea and lobang.

Will check it out.
LASERGUY
I'm actually using it for my little tub; it comes with a stand so I could just sit the whole thing in the middle of the tub. Looks like an oil rig eh?  Yes, that's my handphone - my ranchus likes to SMS their buddies, and no, you cannot have my rubber ducky -- the best tankmate for goldfish!

Hahahahahahaha!! A good way to burn time other than feeding period! That ducky duck's a great entertainment too! laugh.gif HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
CyberET
hmm.. the shop is going to experience a sudden sold out of an item that doesn't move easily, just like the enamel bowl laugh.gif
dennis
BTW just a note, the $17 auto feeder is currently out of stock in Y618. Told it will be coming in by Friday, but they say no guarantee as they might not get their requested stock. The shop assistance said that the price came down suddenly, thats why there is a sudden demand for them from all the LFS.

BTW HB, did I notice the number of the fishes in your 2 feet increased ? biggrin.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(hun citizen @ Wed 26 Nov 2003 22:45 PM)
Very good idea!  Steady lah, bro handsome!  You never fail to inform forum bros with new findings and lobangs!
IPB Image

Hahaha. Where did you get the pic from?

good_very.gif

Got sub-title somemore ah!
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(dennis @ Thu 27 Nov 2003 00:52 AM)
BTW HB, did I notice the number of the fishes in your 2 feet increased ? biggrin.gif

Sigh. Something horrible happened to that tub... becoz of the af.

I'm still mourning... so ... I'll break the news ... when I'm over it.

cry.gif
mountain
sad.gif oh no ... dun tell me the fish knocked the stand down??
HappyBuddha
Sigh. What happened is this.

It's a new toy, and I don't know how wide that gap should be for the correct amount of pellets to feed at each interval. So I tested various settings by letting the pellets drop onto my desktop. After a few tries, I figured I've set the right amount.

On it went on top of the tub as shown. That green water is 3 days old and pretty intense. You can't see sunken lionhead pellets on the tub's floor.

I HAVE BEEN OVERFEEDING WITHOUT KNOWING IT! Seriously excessive amount of pellets were left rotting on the tub's floor. The margin of error for my small tub is very small.

I was busy and didn't pay much attention that the fishes were gasping for air during the day. Then that morning I did find it strange only one little fella would surface once in a while to say "hi" to me. I ignored the rest.

Then the same evening I cannot tahan leow. It's too strange I didn't see the rest for so long.

Plunge my hand into the now seriously intense green (due to change later that evening)... and I felt one fish that instead of swimming away... I could pick up. I did... it was greyish in colour and the eyes popping out.

I sigh.

It took me a few more minutes to realize it may not be the only one. I plunge my palm into the tub again... and scooped up 3 more dead ranchus.

6 out of 4 died.

The balance 2 were barely alive when I discover the disaster. Managed to rescued them (they're fine now).

BECAREFUL when you use an auto feeder in a green water environment. Check the amount of feed over a 24 hours period in CLEAR WATER first!!

cry.gif
HappyBuddha
And to make me feel really like a piece of shit... the dead ones are the nice ones! I didn't even have a chance to update their pics which I have KIV until this weekend. hmm.gif

Sian man.

Oh yeah... one more thing. The garman say smoking is bad for your health... but they neber say it's bad for your fish too; the stinking odour from the rotting pellets could otherwise be very noticeable in a no-smoking room. sad.gif

IPB Image
mountain
cry.gif so many casualty at one go .. you must be heart broken
my condolences HB .
HappyBuddha
smile.gif Thanks guys. I'm... almost over it (so long as I don't look at their pics.)
square_guy
ouch, sorry to hear that.

glad u r getting over it soon smile.gif
The Matrix
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Sat 29 Nov 2003 10:21 AM)
6 out of 4 died.

I am very sure u not getting over it yet ... where to get 6 out of 4 leh .... should be 4 out of 6 lah.

It was a sad day. And another jap dead on the same day ? I sure cannot sleep for a few days.

Pat pat pat ... cry.gif
HappyBuddha
biggrin.gif

I'm over it. I guess now I appreciate the balance two more. beer1.gif
smgutie
i am so sorry to hear that! broken_heart.gif i hope things work out better.
square_guy
on the topic of the rainbow autofeeder again, OTF Farm at Pasir Ris Farmway 2 is selling them at $18. there are quite a number of them.
dennis
Y618 has it's Rainbow auto feeder shock in. $17 each, got 2 yesterday smile.gif
10daniel
Sheeesh my condolences are sure late. Anyway better late than never.

BTW, I encountered the same problem when I had my first AF. The little nob that sets the amount to be fed shifted by itself, and I ended up with too much feed over too many feedings. The solution? A little masking tape on the nob.

I wonder if any of your guys have met with the same problem.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(10daniel @ Thu 04 Dec 2003 11:07 PM)
Sheeesh my condolences are sure late. Anyway better late than never.

BTW, I encountered the same problem when I had my first AF. The little nob that sets the amount to be fed shifted by itself, and I ended up with too much feed over too many feedings. The solution? A little masking tape on the nob.

I wonder if any of your guys have met with the same problem.

The Rainbow brand AF doesn't seem to have this problem. There are gears at the opening that is preventing the quantity to feed from changing. But to play it safe, I'm going to use some tape to make it it really stay in place.
Seacucumber
at least the gadget you got was cheap....
bloody hell, i spent $14 to get a brand new 4x2ft light diffuser from a hardware shop....then cut to size myself....

and as for the amount to feed, i actually wasted a handful of pellets by experimenting with the autofeeder.....haiz....
HappyBuddha
I'm getting the hang of having the AF taking care of feeding my fishes. Sometimes I forget to feed them but heh, $18 solves the problem; nonit pay maid levy somemore.

I am actually waiting to see if my fishes will go near the AF at the preset intervals like Alvin mentioned in the CNA show. So far... nope.
Seacucumber
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 10 Dec 2003 10:55 PM)
I'm getting the hang of having the AF taking care of feeding my fishes. Sometimes I forget to feed them but heh, $18 solves the problem; nonit pay maid levy somemore.

I am actually waiting to see if my fishes will go near the AF at the preset intervals like Alvin mentioned in the CNA show. So far... nope.

they will lah.....
now i can even scoop them up with my hands even though i cant see them in the greenwater....just plunge my hand below the autofeeder can liao....hahahaha tongue.gif
CyberET
http://www.arofanatics.com/members/cyberet/autofeeder/

temporary method till i get better bracing and support for long term smile.gif
sorry for blur pics.. taken using phone cam..
mountain
rainbow autofeeder, cheap cheap $17 from Y618 !!
basket.. how come i didn't see any when i was there 2 days ago..
and they onli got old genesis anti-cholorine.

btw HB, i started my green water project. i think i got the same togoyo tub as u .. keke..
$10.50 rite, have rollers one?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(mountain @ Fri 12 Dec 2003 11:14 AM)
btw HB, i started my green water project. i think i got the same togoyo tub as u .. keke..
$10.50 rite, have rollers one?

Woo hoo! Congrats for taking the leap into green water. So long as your PL lamp is intense enough... you won't regret it!

I can't remember how much the tub cost but I think it was $10.50. It has, not four, but six little wheels.

It's a good tub.

Kekeke... they should put in another set of three wheels in the middle of the tub... coz the middle section sagged due to the volume of water in it. No harm done though.

Do show us pic of your green water setup!

happydance.gif
HappyBuddha
Pai sei pai sei... just saw the pics of your setup in another thread.

Looks like we use the same tub. In fact, on first look I though it's my tub! The super duper extension for the lamp looks so familiar man. biggrin.gif
mountain
happydance.gif those are metal chopsticks i bought while holidaying in korea. happydance.gif

this morning i checked alreadi some foams on the wall are greenish.. happydance1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.