Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clash Of The Titans
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
hi.gif

Remember this 1981 Classics

Well the above set the backdrop for my introduction in tonight's presentation.

Now by defination,the word TITANS mean one of prodigious size, strength, or achievement.Here I got 2 gigantic ryukins which I have reared for a couple of months.They are my true Titans in the making.

This is the black ryukin which was with me for almost a year now.It was just 7 inch then.Now you can see it has grown to almost 9 inch from tip of mouth to tail.However with color enhancer food given,its color has become parti and the black becomes weak.I have brought it back indoor and to be introduced back into the black FGT which has the capability to change fish dark and black.(as seen in my unique color ryukin and cheap ryukin thread)Give me 3 months laugh.gif

Let me show you how it swims.Notice its vigour and strength as it cuts through the water with such great deportment despite its humongous size!

Now here's how I measure it wit the help of an IKEA measuring tape

Next I have this almost 8 inch R/W Ryukin to challenge above

IPB Image

This how it swims.Yet again no clumsiness despite its size.Dorsal fully erected.Excellent finnage and well balanced paired fins.The only letdown is perhaps its color pattern in which the red is only confined to the back giving it a X-backed red ryukin look hysterical.gif

And here is how I measured it up.Strictly no optical illusion nor any digitalised manipulation sweatingbullets.gif

Release the Kracken!!!!!!!!....................(remember the sea monster that feed on human sacrifice in the show:The Clash of the Titans)
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 07 Aug 2007 9:26 pm) *

Now here's how I measure it wit the help of an IKEA measuring tape

And your son holding the camera? biggrin.gif

I thot you had a bigger piece which was full red.What about that?
goldrush
QUOTE(CP @ Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:01 pm) *

And your son holding the camera? biggrin.gif
I thot you had a bigger piece which was full red.What about that?

Left hand click,right hand hold fish..single handedly No helpsmilie.gif

That red........ bye.gif bye.gif liao just before Aquarama shocking.gif
shishirkamat
Hi Doc,
Truly a great fish,great growth.Keep up with the good work
with warm regards
Shishir kamat
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:31 pm) *

Left hand click,right hand hold fish..single handedly No helpsmilie.gif

Oh ya.....my eye shoot bird. Didnt realise measuring tape was fixed onto tank.I thot you right hand hold fish, left hand hold tape.............

and mistress hold video. biggrin.gif
cheangv
Wow very impressive size and a very rare black ryukin as well! Care to share what type of environment you are keeping the ryukin under for it to grow so big? Genetics or environment playing the bigger part?
goldrush
After Aquarama I have housed them in only a 300 litres guppy tub outdoor(just 2 fish) and in clear water.Nature or nurture,I'm not too sure which exercises more influence.

I'm just experimenting on the concept of raising fish up to jumbo even in relatively small water environment esp breed like ryukin which traditionally demands alot of space to keep and groom to their potentials.
peter porker
Dear GR,

Eagerly awaiting your next instalment of fish updates.

Regards,
PP biggrin.gif
cheangv
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:19 am) *

After Aquarama I have housed them in only a 300 litres guppy tub outdoor(just 2 fish) and in clear water.Nature or nurture,I'm not too sure which exercises more influence.

I'm just experimenting on the concept of raising fish up to jumbo even in relatively small water environment esp breed like ryukin which traditionally demands alot of space to keep and groom to their potentials.

Interesting. I will be very interested to see the results from this. How high is the guppy tub as traditionally, ryukins would also need a deep water height. Water change?

I have two tanks where my ryukins are kept, one is indoor, 6ftx2.5ftx2ft in clear water and another outdoor fgt 6.5ftx3ftx2ft in green water. I feel that those in the outdoor setup are developing better.
goldrush
When they were outdoor,the height of water is definitely under 2 feet....i think the most 1.5 feet of water only.Now they are indoor which height is under 1 feet(6x4x1 FGT)...approximately 600 litres and crowded with some 7 other fishes!!!!! blush.gif

On my personal opinion,Growth = to the followings

1)large water changes 30% every day with 4 th day complete change
2)Water changes do not equate to just remove visible debri/pooo.More interested to remove the unseen!(nitrites,ammonia,pheromones,proteins etc)
3)Skimming is not just part of water change but physical removal of surface accumulantions to allow good air/water interface reaction for good oxygenation.Daily skim off twice(morning and evening)
4)Genetics.Although beyond our control,you must train your eyes to select potential fish that can grow and that comes from experience.Apart from that a reputable bloodline or known source will help in your selection
5)Food.Give them the best growth food.These being adult are only fed 2 meals a day with high protein paste food with no live or frozen supplement.
foong
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 08 Aug 2007 3:03 pm) *

When they were outdoor,the height of water is definitely under 2 feet....i think the most 1.5 feet of water only.Now they are indoor which height is under 1 feet(6x4x1 FGT)...approximately 600 litres and crowded with some 7 other fishes!!!!! blush.gif

2)Water changes do not equate to just remove visible debri/pooo.More interested to remove the unseen!(nitrites,ammonia,pheromones,proteins etc)
3)Skimming is not just part of water change but physical removal of surface accumulantions to allow good air/water interface reaction for good oxygenation.Daily skim off twice(morning and evening)
4)Genetics.Although beyond our control,you must train your eyes to select potential fish that can grow and that comes from experience.Apart from that a reputable bloodline or known source will help in your selection
5)Food.Give them the best growth food.These being adult are only fed 2 meals a day with high protein paste food with no live or frozen supplement.

Hi Doc,

I am amazed with your Ryukins. I truly like them. You are great too...
BTW, do you mind share what type of pellet you are feeding them and does your setup (tub) have filter?

Thanks.
cheangv
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 08 Aug 2007 3:03 pm) *

Thks for sharing these tips

I've got a sort of automated water changing system setup where there is constant new water dripping into the tank which then also skims off the excess water. Might need to also just institute additional water change perhaps once a week.

So what would you look out for in terms of the shape of a ryukin to show that it has a good growth potential. I've learnt not to pick those with a good hump development when they are smaller as that normally means they would not grow a lot more subsequently.

Think I read in your other post that you prepare your own fish paste but can't remember what the ingredients were. Are these ingredients you would get from the wet markets?
goldrush
There is no consistency in the ingredients of my paste food.It depends on wat you want to promote... growth,color or under medication.All ingredients are not wat you get from wet market but perhaps wat you already feeding and in possession but just not presented as a palatable paste form.Try reading the post again.

For a start never try to grow a small fish up.Chances are it wouldn't happen.(Most are already stunted to begin with)Breeders know best.The good looking small ones will never be giants.Try to buy medium size fish upwards with good features.Though abit pricey,you can literally see them grow week after week both in girth and length.
goldrush
Dear cheangv

On the side note,I would like to see the development of your little calico which was shown here

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...ost&p=46983

That was some 10 months ago
cheangv
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 09 Aug 2007 8:07 am) *

Dear cheangv

On the side note,I would like to see the development of your little calico which was shown here
http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...ost&p=46983
That was some 10 months ago

Well..... its no longer a calico biggrin.gif

It has grown but looks like its reached its potential and will never be a titan

The one on the right on the other hand is a titan and I'm hoping that it will grow even more

IPB Image

IPB Image
goldrush
From its eyes you can see it has probably reached its maximum size.I would guess probably 4-5 inch the most.On the other hand the red looks a potential titan indeed,a gadiator in the making.Keep it well in good conditions and you will be rewarded.Forgot to add...you need alot of aeration.Mine is driven by Hiblow with 3 outlets into the tub.Ryukin needs alot of aeration as it consumes alot of oxygen for its vigour and growth.
bekko
I hope Desireless is not listening because I accused HIM of having too much free time. shiok.gif

Anyway, on cheangv's fish the eye diameter of the red/white one is 13.6% of the total body length and 29.1% of the head length. On the full red, the eye diameter is 9.2% of the body length and 20.9% of the head length. The eye diameter of Goldrush's red/white is 9.3% of the body length and 18.9% of the head length.

The eye of cheangv's red/white is proportionately 1.5 times larger than the eye of the full red one (13.6% divided by 9.2% = 1.5).

-steve
cheangv
No worries on the aeration, I've also got a Hiblow servicing the two tubs and the aeration is plentiful.

Steve, thks for the statistics good_very.gif

Will give an update in a couple of months time to see if this titan becomes a goliath especially with the new paste food I'm going to feed it with biggrin.gif
d_golem
Any explanation of how eye size indicates the growth potential? I know how to see stunting but dunno how for growth potential. Any formulas?
goldrush
3 weeks into the black pool and abstaining from color enhancer food,the black is coming back!

Hope you can comprehend blush.gif

Sorry still pic abit blurrrrrr

IPB Image

Maybe a mobile one gives a better pics rusure.gif

Simply Black Magic happydance1.gif
demdamdemekins
Wow. Such excellent posture on such a large fish. I am not familiar with the hiblow. Is it a power head or a high powered air pump? Do you find that the water turbulence affects the development of the fish?
goldrush
Hiblow is a high powered air pump

For Ryukins where the tail is not as critical as TVR,I believe in giving extra air for vigour and development
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.