Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hyacinth And Ranchu
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
dshibano
I have 25 Ranch in pond with green water and I've tried to raise Hyacinths but they keep on dying, any recommendataions?

I've read that I can use Hyacinths to filtrate the water?

David
goofy1984
QUOTE(dshibano @ Wed, 29 Aug 2007 8:30 am) *

I have 25 Ranch in pond with green water and I've tried to raise Hyacinths but they keep on dying, any recommendataions?

I've read that I can use Hyacinths to filtrate the water?

David

Hi,

I've tried it too but the plants did not make it, due to the fact that the ranchus will keep on biting and eating the roots. Furthermore if you put in salt during water changes, the plants will definitely not make it. Hope it helps.
bekko
... also, hyacinth does not do well in green water. The green water takes up nutrients much faster than the hyacinth so they cannot compete. If the hyacinth roots have a slimy testure it is because they are coated with algae. The algae coating on the roots further prevents the hyacinth from taking up any nutrients.

If you start the hyacinth in clear water and use enough of them to cover at least half of the water surface, the green water often cannot get started because of the shading.

The most serious pest of hyacinth are usually spider mites. You can see what looks like small spider webs under the leaves and the leaves will have copper-coloured streaks as they die. Rain or splashing water will wash the mites off the leaves and fish will eat them.

The good thing about hyacinth is that after they have converted the fish waste nutrients into hyacinth leaves, you can just pick them up and throw some of them away. With green water, you have to throw away the water to get rid of the plant (algae).

Hyacinth also keep the water cool by shading it while green water makes the water warmer because the dark color absorbs heat. However, I think goldfish prefer green water to hyacinth.

-steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.