Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help Needed To Perform Fishless Cycle.
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
BlackManta7117
Hi Bros,

Keen to perform "fishless" cycle after loosing some fish recently.
Always wanted to try "fishless" cycle....more humane.
However ingredients (Household ammonia) not easy to find leh.

Tried looking around for NH3 and closest I can get is smelly salt.
Something like 35% ammonia plus 10% alcohol.
Can use or not?

Or better still can someone direct me to get NH3 in Singapore?

Please do not ask me to go toilet to scrap from urinal bowl hor!
Cannot use Market Prawn because sure kanna chiat lat chiat lat from MoF also!

Many thanx in advance

----
BlackManta
desireless
Get Ammonia BiCarbonate from Phoon Huat.

Fill a pail with dechlorinated water, add about 2 teaspoons of this powder. And remember to add also Sodium Bicarbonate (roughly... 5tsp) sparingly to keep your pH at high level.

Submerge your sponge filters and let them run for about a week. If you use OHF or canister, same thing. Put in the inlet and outlet in the same pail and let filter run for about 1 week.
BlackManta7117
QUOTE(desireless @ Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:33 pm) *

Fill a pail with dechlorinated water, add about 2 teaspoons of this powder. And remember to add also Sodium Bicarbonate (roughly... 5tsp) sparingly to keep your pH at high level.

Submerge your sponge filters and let them run for about a week. If you use OHF or canister, same thing. Put in the inlet and outlet in the same pail and let filter run for about 1 week.

Hi Desireless,

Thank you for your suggestion....tried like 5 Cold Storages but still cannot find Ammonia BiCarbonate from Phoon Huat.

Anyway, thankyou for your advise. I will continue to search all shops for it.

---
BlackManta
CP
Phoon Huat is located in Pandan Loop.You can find its location under Rafflesgold Lobang
Scroll down, look for Phoon Huat and click on the car.

I personally find it too troublesome to hunt around looking for suitable product to perform fishless cycle.If fishless cycling is really a must, I will use market prawns, and if smell is a concern (ammonia smells anyway), you can try throwing in fish food pellets and letting them rot in the tank.
BlackManta7117

Yes!!! goggled and found Phoon Huat already. shiok.gif
Called them and they have Ammonia Ammonium Bicarbonate a.k.a Chow Fun (smelly powder) in cantonese.

Both two bottles of 50mg @ their Jurong East Specialty Shop.
1 bottle to cycle tank good_very.gif
1 bottle to make "ham chin bang" happydance1.gif

Thank you bro desireless.

---
BlackManta

QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 13 Sep 2007 2:23 pm) *

Phoon Huat is located in Pandan Loop.You can find its location under Rafflesgold Lobang
Scroll down, look for Phoon Huat and click on the car.

I personally find it too troublesome to hunt around looking for suitable product to perform fishless cycle.If fishless cycling is really a must, I will use market prawns, and if smell is a concern (ammonia smells anyway), you can try throwing in fish food pellets and letting them rot in the tank.

Bro CP, thank you for offering advise and the map too. wink.gif
I find it troublesome too. But if Boss says she wants, she gets.
But anyway it was fun (at least for me) and very honoured to have bros in these forums to help a total stranger like me. good_very.gif

---
BlackManta
CP
My pleasure.

I am still amazed at the effort you put in just to satisfy your Home Minister. beg2.gif

Start hunting for Activated Carbon too, since smell is of such a primary concern. biggrin.gif
BlackManta7117
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 13 Sep 2007 9:03 pm) *

My pleasure.

I am still amazed at the effort you put in just to satisfy your Home Minister. beg2.gif

Start hunting for Activated Carbon too, since smell is of such a primary concern. biggrin.gif

Bought the Activated Carbon liao ... also prepared the BBQ charcoal to remove any lingering foul smell. sweatingbullets.gif

Minister of Finance happy, I happy ... regarding satisfying ... it is the other way round. peace.gif

---
BlackManta
ahmedhusseinak

Dear desireless,

can i just add the ammonia bicarbonate straight to my tank? coz i have no fish and i want to cycle the tank first...

What i want to do is to add the ammonia bicarbonate until it goes to 5ppm then keep on adding until the nitrite spikes. then keep on adding until it finally shows 0 ppm..=)..can i do it this way?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.