Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hair-like Green Algae
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
void
the sides and bottom of my tank at the balcony is covered with hair-like green algae... although the water remains clear... is this algae particularly beneficial or harmful? unsure.gif
CyberET
good ah, additional snacks for your fishy, and if sunlight is ample, helps to reduce nitrate too biggrin.gif
HappyBuddha
Generally speaking they are harmless.... but there're some types of algae that are bad to the fishes. I don't think you are that sway to get them in your tank. biggrin.gif

The problem is when the population is so large they rob your fishes of DO at night. So observe carefully to see if your fishes appear uncomfortable and add air-stone.

Test your water. If the alage popular is high, your nitrate level will be low, which to me is the main benefit of having them. happydance.gif
void
no wonder the fishes like to nibble at them... since they are ok, i guess i dun have to clean them... one of the drawback is that they block my view... mad.gif

true... have to check for nitrate level occasionally then... yes.gif
mountain
void, with those algea, how do you change your water?

Is your water change in the region of 5~7 days? if so, could you mind if u do a PH test on the last day of water change and post the results?
reason i ask for this is.. i once had brown algea + green algea in my main tank , due to me stretching my water change down right pass 7 days.. the PH .. hmm .. dropped of caz. the points i wish to clarify is , PH can be affected both by not changing water, inturn cause high nutrients such as nitrate for algea growth, which might trigger brown algea and in turn trigger undesirable disease/stuned growth. unsure.gif
square_guy
filtered water or green water?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(square_guy @ Fri 12 Mar 2004 02:09 PM)

Mountain mentioned his main tank and nitrate, so he's talking about clear water.

I think I know what's he getting at. The thing is the pH may not be the direct cause of brown algae. It's the excessively high nitrate which promotes grown of algae (types seem ramdomly determined!) and which in turn leads to change in pH level.

That's why massive and frequent water change is still a must. smile.gif
mountain
QUOTE(square_guy @ Fri 12 Mar 2004 02:09 PM)

Sorrie! i dun even know your question is for me blush.gif

Yei , HB is right. Filtered water. i am stratching my head over this thing.. Yes, once u get one of these brown or green, dun say massive, best is whole sale change as 1 bit will still manifest quickly.

so for people like me who cannot do water change everyday, will have nitrate on the high side will have to choose one of these ...

A) Presence of Nitrate --> Algea (Good or Bad) --> PH fluctuatation = Fish Bad.
B) Presence of Nitrate --> No Algea --> No PH fluctuatation = Fish not so Bad.
void
QUOTE(mountain @ Fri 12 Mar 2004 11:18 AM)
void, with those algea, how do you change your water?

Is your water change in the region of 5~7 days? if so, could you mind if u do a PH test on the last day of water change and post the results?
reason i ask for this is.. i once had brown algea + green algea in my main tank , due to me  stretching my water change down right pass 7 days.. the PH .. hmm .. dropped of caz. the points i wish to clarify is , PH can be affected both by not changing water, inturn cause high nutrients such as nitrate for algea growth, which might trigger brown algea and in turn trigger undesirable disease/stuned growth.  unsure.gif

i change water weekly... change about 50% each time...

ok, i'll test the PH on the last day of water change and post the results ASAP...

actually, i dun intend to grow the hair like algae... suddenly it's just appears... yes.gif

hmmm... i didn't know know that brown algea indirectly trigger undesirable disease/stuned growth... unsure.gif
square_guy
QUOTE(mountain @ Fri 12 Mar 2004 11:34 PM)
Sorrie! i dun even know your question is for me  blush.gif

Yei , HB is right. Filtered water. i am stratching my head over this thing.. Yes, once u get one of these brown or green, dun say massive, best is whole sale change as 1 bit will still manifest quickly.

so for people like me who cannot do water change everyday, will have nitrate on the high side will have to choose one of these ...

A) Presence of Nitrate --> Algea (Good or Bad) --> PH fluctuatation = Fish Bad.
B) Presence of Nitrate --> No Algea --> No PH fluctuatation = Fish not so Bad.

Ehhhh....

i think the pH drop is not caused by the algae. most likely just due to depletion of carbonate buffer because of nitrification. add more bicarbonate lor.

nitrate is separate issue to pH.
Ray Ng
QUOTE(void @ Sat, 13 Mar 2004 10:30 pm) *

i change water weekly... change about 50% each time...

ok, i'll test the PH on the last day of water change and post the results ASAP...

actually, i dun intend to grow the hair like algae... suddenly it's just appears... yes.gif

hmmm... i didn't know know that brown algea indirectly trigger undesirable disease/stuned growth... unsure.gif

Hi all, I dug out this old thread coz I did a "brown algae" search to find out if brown algae is harmful to fishes. Just on the statement "brown algea indirectly trigger undesirable disease/stuned growth", is this true?
CyberET
brown algae is more of an indicator that something is wrong with your water, thus resulting in "undesirable disease/stuned growth"
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(CyberET @ Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:28 am) *

brown algae is more of an indicator that something is wrong with your water, thus resulting in "undesirable disease/stuned growth"

Hi ET,
Like to share on what to do if that happens? sweatingbullets.gif

Thanks!
David Hou
CyberET
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Fri, 20 Oct 2006 12:40 pm) *

Hi ET,
Like to share on what to do if that happens? sweatingbullets.gif

Thanks!
David Hou

remove all the algae, and do a 100% change, and figure out where went wrong..

most prob water change not frequent enough
top_view_ranchu
QUOTE(CyberET @ Fri, 20 Oct 2006 3:26 pm) *

remove all the algae, and do a 100% change, and figure out where went wrong..

most prob water change not frequent enough

Hi ET,
Thanks for the advise!
Removing all the algae and doing a 100% change sound easy thou.
But figuring what when wrong seems a bit tricky. What if water change is always frequent?
Apologise for being pushy, but really like to learn.

Thanks again!
David Hou
CyberET
monitor parameters from water change, till brown algae appear, may show a clue to what is the prob.

the only time i experience brown algae is when i don't change water for a few months, only 5% topup a day due to evaporation.

seems like kois don't like to eat brown algae too hysterical.gif
goldrush
The presence of brown algae is just an indicator of something is amiss very much like a thermometer telling you that you have a fever but it does not tell you exactly what's wrong.So for a start,like ET pointed,the parameters have to be addressed........That's the basic.Of all the algae(Green,brown,blue-green)you may encounter,only green is acceptable.The green is another very realiable indicator that everything is in GOOD order...
infocus
QUOTE(goldrush @ Sat, 21 Oct 2006 9:22 am) *

The presence of brown algae is just an indicator of something is amiss very much like a thermometer telling you that you have a fever but it does not tell you exactly what's wrong.So for a start,like ET pointed,the parameters have to be addressed........That's the basic.Of all the algae(Green,brown,blue-green)you may encounter,only green is acceptable.The green is another very realiable indicator that everything is in GOOD order...

I have both green and brown in my tank. blink.gif

But 90% are green. sweatingbullets.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.