Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Open Gills In Goldfish
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Newbie Issues / Say "Hi"/ Testing
twinso
i read somewhere that the goldfish must be living in poor condition or quality... if when they swimming their gills open up widely ish?

but my ones always do it =S i thought it was just breathing.. can someone confirm this please bcoz i mean ............ i care for mine a lot OO" unless too much it stresses them out..
CyberET
swollen gills indicate something is wrong..
again.. take a picture?

or search thru the forum and compare?
twinso
QUOTE(CyberET @ Wed, 31 Oct 2007 3:41 am) *

swollen gills indicate something is wrong..
again.. take a picture?

or search thru the forum and compare?

its relli hard to take a pic of my fish they re too fast >< even when i put them in a small cup to take, its not swollen or anything just sometimes they open relli big when they swims and u can see red or black like they open them wide but i thought it was just breathing...

IPB Image
IPB Image

but thats a pic i got of them, like normal .................
CyberET
looks normal to me from the blur pictures
weiren
cant really see from the pics...but so far are they swimming and eating actively?

If you are not sure if they are sick then dont administer any medication. Probably fast them a few days with salt treatment and monitor...
twinso
QUOTE(weiren @ Thu, 01 Nov 2007 3:24 pm) *

cant really see from the pics...but so far are they swimming and eating actively?

If you are not sure if they are sick then dont administer any medication. Probably fast them a few days with salt treatment and monitor...

lol yea
they swim around, and eat and do everything normally just when they swim their gill opens but i thought thats just breathing, right?

but when i came home today it wasnt opened as much..

and when they go to eat the flakes on the top of the water n they dont get it in their mouth first times little buble come out of their gill =S

i think its all just normal just i saw someone make a post saying it is stress when gills open wide..... i wanted to check if my fish are stress =(

QUOTE(weiren @ Thu, 01 Nov 2007 3:24 pm) *

=D thanks for reply la
twinso
my other worry is: see my red fish?
i dont have a sucker filter atm just a spongy one... so till i get a sucker filter i put littl bit of gravel on the bottom of the tank bcoz if i dont my red one eats his own poo =S
like he chases it n eats it n actually swallow it but my gold one spits it out .. but red one eats it
so .. how bad is for him to eat his own poo? bcoz ive seen him do it a few time when the water become disturb n some poo begin to swim in the water
i change my 30L tank more then once a week atm until i can get sucker filter.. its kinda a nuisance changing the water bcoz i have to carry it ><

QUOTE(twinso @ Mon, 05 Nov 2007 3:03 am) *

my other worry is: see my red fish?
i dont have a sucker filter atm just a spongy one... so till i get a sucker filter i put littl bit of gravel on the bottom of the tank bcoz if i dont my red one eats his own poo =S
like he chases it n eats it n actually swallow it but my gold one spits it out .. but red one eats it
so .. how bad is for him to eat his own poo? bcoz ive seen him do it a few time when the water become disturb n some poo begin to swim in the water
i change my 30L tank more then once a week atm until i can get sucker filter.. its kinda a nuisance changing the water bcoz i have to carry it ><

so yea the reason i put the gravel is to his his poo so he wont eat it >< but i know to have bare tank is better i just do this until i get a sucker filter thing
bekko
my red one eats his own poo
All goldfish do that. In fact, it probably passes through several times and each time they get a little more nutrition. It is not abnormal or even gross. That is just the carp way of life.

Rocks will accumulate debris which the fish cannot get to or stir around. It will become anaerobic and really nasty. Better to let them eat their poo.

-steve
twinso
QUOTE(bekko @ Mon, 05 Nov 2007 6:45 am) *

All goldfish do that. In fact, it probably passes through several times and each time they get a little more nutrition. It is not abnormal or even gross. That is just the carp way of life.

Rocks will accumulate debris which the fish cannot get to or stir around. It will become anaerobic and really nasty. Better to let them eat their poo.

-steve

thanks so much . ok ill do that im going to take the gravel out again
i just thought maybe it was bad to have it eat its own poo
twinso
omg. another qn !

just now i took out the gravel ok but some of the gravel powder was left and i saw my fish eat it ..
is it bad??? for them to eat the crushed rock gravel thing..
i mean will it pastt thro their systems ? argh i worry now
bekko
Do you think a gibel carp hunting around for food at the bottom of a river ever gets any sand in his mouth?
-steve
twinso
QUOTE(bekko @ Sat, 10 Nov 2007 5:33 am) *

Do you think a gibel carp hunting around for food at the bottom of a river ever gets any sand in his mouth?
-steve

lol i thought that to myself, and i thought its no big deal when eating up food in the wild they would swallow dirt as well .. but i just worry for my babies =(
i think theyve grown u know... since i put them in the big tank bcoz i felt sorry for them in the small one...
the red one has become longer..... and i put them back into their little tank when i clean their tank...... they defiantly grown after seeing them back in their small tank.....

i dont know i know its good for chickens to eat gravel to help with digestion.. but i just thought if my fishy eats a little rock powder thing maybe it cant digest it and it gets stuck in their tummy n then he exlodes... like when u get um pee stones? then u cant pee anymore and need to go to docter to get them remove

dont want my fishy to get sick =(
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.