Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pure Breed Goldfish
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
aquaculture_grp
HI EVERYONE, I WOULD LIKE TO GET EVERYONE'S ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS ON THIS. I AM CURRENTLY A STUDENT IN MY SCH'S AQUACULTURE CLUB. WE HAVE DECIDED TO REAR SOME GOLDFISHES. SO WE ARE NOW LOOKING FOR SOME PURE BREED RANCHU. WE WANT TO KNOW IF THERE'S ANY GOLDFISH FARM HERE IN SINGAPORE THAT SELLS THEM. I KNOW THAT ITS QUITE DIFFCULT TO GET SUCH A GOLDFISH, BUT MY MEMEBERS AND I HAVE DEDCIDED TO GO ALL OUT. AND I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE SOME RECOMMENDATIONS ON COMPANIES THAT IMPORTS PURE BREED RANCHUS! THANKS ALOT! AND SEASON'S GREETINGS TO ALL RAFFLES GOLD MEMEBERS!
bekko
All goldfish are the same species. All goldfish have many different varieties in their genes. You need to understand how each variety was developed from other varieties that preceded it. You need to realize that the genes for all those preceding varieties still reside in the new variety and can manifest themselves to varying degrees in the offspring. No variety breeds completely true-to-type. The majority of the offspring in every spawn are substandard and show deformities and/or the vestiges of characteristics from ancestral varieties.

Breeding goldfish requires knowledge of many desciplines - all of which are a good learning experience for an aquaculture club. You will learn about water chemistry, vertebrate and invertebrate zoology, nitrition, microbiology, pathology, genetics, physics and engineering, just to name a few.

-steve
Kinder
Im going a bit off topic here, but as we come to understand the nature of goldfish the past breeding ...to what we have now and the huge uncertainty when it comes to goldfish breeding (offsprings)

Just to touch on one topic, I wanted to know why there is such a high rate of goldfish fry deformity....even from a good spawn of established lines ? What im trying to say is that....if there is a possibility of getting one good quality fry out of 1000...why not more? can this be reversed? and what leads to the fact of deformity in frys?

kinder
bekko
why there is such a high rate of goldfish fry deformity
I do not know, but here is some speculation....

All species of fish which make a lot of eggs have a high rate of fry deformity. This goes for wild fish too. In the wild, you never see the deformed ones because they cannot compete and survive in that environment. Goldfish may have more deformities than most types of fish because there is so much inbreeding. Inbreeding is what has allowed so much variation to be developed in goldfish, but also results in some inherent weakness. Deformities or genetic mutations are actually the mechanism which has allowed so many varieties of goldfish to be developed. The gold color started as a genetic mutation which was then selected for. The fan-shaped tail, the absence of a dorsal, the protruding eyes, etc. all started out as genetic mutations. And finally, there is no clear distinction between a goldfish which is deformed and a goldfish which is just ugly or otherwise undesirable. Is a collapsed tail fin a deformity or just an unwanted characteristic? The end result is the same - the fish with a collapsed tail is culled.

-steve
Kinder
Thanks for that! it does sheds some light...
For now got to live with it....thats the nature of the beast.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.