Came across many but instead…

Found a lady’s dress,

IPB Image

even a shoe

IPB Image

but none came as close to my elusive red

IPB Image

But wait hold it there !!!!Here's one

Powerful,graceful and arguably one of most beautiful calico variant,the elusive red base calico is no master of steath or camouflage.The beautiful irregular rosettes that speckle the red skin are far more stable coloration compared to the apache(black and red)variant found in the metallic group of goldfish.Here I have found one such fish with total orange based(not quite red yet)without a tinge of blue.This male exudes power, inquisitiveness and vibrancy that certainly would grace any pond one desires.

Here are some pics of what I've found

IPB Image

IPB Image

With Flash
IPB Image

And as usual ....a video to complement my find

wink.gif
demdamdemekins
Amazing! A calico ranchu of any color in this quality is rare enough, but this one is truly special. I think, if I lived in Singapore, I would probably just sleep in a tent next to a pond...
goldrush
Well 2 months have passed and this is what I got shiok.gif A full bloody red with more prominent head growth tongue.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

MachoRanchu
Wow very well done doc...the colors have definitely intensified. The headgrowth already looks good from the top. Can chance of showing pics of its side profile? biggrin.gif
goldrush
To appease your insatiable appetite for calico,here is what you request

IPB Image

Manage to bring out more black spots to complement its deep orange spread giving a twist to the saying....who says

A LEOPARD NEVER CHANGE ITS SPOTS
CnT
Tats a beautiful ranchu good_very.gif

U hv the amazing ability to pump-up n improve upon ur ranchus... can u share some tips on wat u feed n how u keep?

Thanks peace.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(CnT @ Mon, 10 Mar 2008 5:33 pm) *

Tats a beautiful ranchu good_very.gif

U hv the amazing ability to pump-up n improve upon ur ranchus... can u share some tips on wat u feed n how u keep?

Thanks peace.gif

Dear CnT

I have share with all my keeping and upbringing in my past threads.Just refer to some past posts of some of my fishes and their development over the months .Here are some examples.

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4982

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...c=4283&st=0

Coincidentally both are Calicos wacko.gif
Gold Digger
A real beauty! Congrats! Thanks a lot for sharing.
hermanto
Dear Goldrush, I always surprised to see your calicos getting more black color than the first time you have them. I have read about the way you feed them. I still have a question concerning the water quality you use.
I always thought that the black color will appear if we put the calicos in hard water, just like black ranchus. Am I wrong? Recently I have two experiences that puzzled me. Hope you can help.
I put some calicos in a large shallow outdoor cement pond with no filtration. Just water circulation (using pump) and aeration. No sooner the water became light green water. Then I pour down some water from air conditioning to lower the general Hardness. I did that because somewhere I heard that soft water is better for fish growth and color (please correct me also in this matter), so I try to experiment with soft water. The gH of the pond is down to 4 and has been stable for a month. The greenwater is stable in light green and somewhat clearer (with less muddy), maybe the result of lowering gH (Please enlighten me also in this matter). I did not check the pH. But I closely monitor the fish's activity. They are very healthy and active. But then, in a month, I notice 2 of the calico ranchus have developed more of their black color! I was surprised, since this happens in soft and green water! How come? But this happen only on the 2 out of 8 calicos I put there.
The second experience to compare is this. I also put 2 calicos among my black ranchus in a medium size fibre tub. This is a semioutdoor tub with mature filter and a little bit crowded with fishes. The water is almost clear with dark carpet algae. The gH is 11, hard enough, And I was hoping that the calicos will develop stronger and more black color. But it did not happen. At least it did not happen in the period of 1 month.
I use frozen bloodworm every morning, saki growth and hikari wheatgerm alternately during the day - not much differ from your diet.
So, could you explain to me what is actually happening to me? And how exactly the black color in the calico can be strenthtened like yours? And for the rest of my calicos in soft water and green water that did not produce more black color yet, (as I am thinking of given up on them) do you think they have no chance to develop more black color anymore?

Thanks beforehand.
Hermanto
bekko
As I was about to say when we were interupted.....

Hermanto, the koi people talk about hard water improving sumi. Do we just assume the same will be true for goldfish or do others have experience suggesting hard water improves black in goldfish?

Also, I wonder if this phenomena only applies to metallic black like black ranchu and black moor. Metallic fish have pigment within the scale and the scale is in close contact with the water. Calico black is pigment in the skin under clear scales. Perhaps water hardness has no effect on pigment within the skin.

Doc, while we were all on summer vacation I was studying differences in Thai ranchu and Chinese ranchu - from photos only. Why does there seem to be a difference in body conformation? Is it the bloodline, is it the climate, or is it the way they are culled and selected? This one looks like Thai ranchu.

-steve
goldrush
Actually was about to reply and server just couldn't deliver my post :rusure

So I better break up into smaller bits or i have to retype everything again :mad

Anyway back to calicos.Yes they are the most sensitive breed around.Yet again such sensitivity is not general but rather individual.In short no two fish may react similarly in a given environment.So what are they sensitive to?Apart from water parameters,visual stimulants are another factor of consideration.Recently I just installed a series of FGT with very light green base.

IPB Image

Upon introduction,the calico deteriorate in ther color display almost instantly.For weeks their color remain a paleshadow of the past.Meanwhile algae starts to grow and darken the grazing pasture.Still the colors did not resurface.In goes trays of CORAL CHIPS .Lo Behold...Within days the color showed remarkable recovery

Are they really sensitive to swinging pH?With the introduction of corals ,do they somehow act as an immediate buffer to stabilise the environment ?.I cannot conclude concretely.But with time certainly the highly sensitive individual will recover and show vivid diplay of their variegated colors again
goldrush
Now this is one individual that showed remarkable colours improvement.

Here it is swimming in the GREEN MEADOW

IPB Image

2 TOPVIEW PHOTOS FOR YOUR APPRECIATION

IPB Image

IPB Image
goldrush

Look at the colors from the side.Notice all colors,blue,blacks red are vividly displayed

IPB Image
goldrush
Another view

IPB Image

Calicos are not just about blacks.We must try to bring out the colors of the rest with equal vibrancy to complete a nice calico.In koi the black based fish like showa and utsuri mono are more suited for hard waters and red fish like kohaku for softer parameters,we dont'' have this problem with calicos in goldfish

This is a testimony to the above statement biggrin.gif

IPB Image

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k230/gol...huryukin062.jpg

IPB Image
goldrush
QUOTE(bekko @ Tue, 17 Jun 2008 4:24 am) *

Doc, while we were all on summer vacation I was studying differences in Thai ranchu and Chinese ranchu - from photos only. Why does there seem to be a difference in body conformation? Is it the bloodline, is it the climate, or is it the way they are culled and selected? This one looks like Thai ranchu.

-steve

I think it's a matter of taste.Both ranchus have their strength and weakness and thus their respective staunch following.Infact it gives us diversities and varied choices.Each country produce their own with distinct characteristics and features that they can called it as product of XXX country:D In chinese they honour their own as 国 鱼(literally called country's fish) to distance itself from the Thais .The Thais has very much Japs blood in their fish.However with much interbreeding and genetic engineering,you can find the best of both worlds in many of our modern fish.

Maybe this red is one good example tongue.gif
bekko
Nice fish, and nice shiny new tanks too.

Coral chips stabilize the pH by increasing the alkalinity (=carbonate hardness or KH). I wonder if general hardness has a different effect than carbonate hardness?

I think I like Chinese ranchu better because of the way the back curves and the smooth transition from the head into the back.

-steve
goldrush
Now these are relatively new fish just out of quarantine.Colors are abit off.But I can confidently say that with time they should improve further

Lots of blacks

IPB Image

Lots of white

IPB Image

And lots of potential...........THIS IS A VERY SPECIAL ONE rolleyes.gif

IPB Image
calicoly
shiok.gif
wowwwy!!! what lovely fish!!!! how big in cm are they doc?
i'm in love with the last two!!!!
MachoRanchu
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 17 Jun 2008 8:24 pm) *

And lots of potential...........THIS IS A VERY SPECIAL ONE rolleyes.gif

"Jose Mourinho"?? biggrin.gif

Coloration looks nice. shiok.gif Care to show a side view pic/video doc? Thanks in advance!
goldrush
QUOTE(MachoRanchu @ Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:31 am) *

"Jose Mourinho"?? biggrin.gif

Coloration looks nice. shiok.gif Care to show a side view pic/video doc? Thanks in advance!

I have a very strong feeling that this fish can be a winner blush.gif .Was also wondering why this fish was not picked after almost 2 weeks upon its arrival!!!! rusure.gif

It is not out of quarantine yet but it shows no physical or clinical diability nor any obvious ailments.Its color is simply brilliant and the way it swims simply exude power and grace.A small indentation at its back did not deter me from purchasing it to add to my calico collection.Enough said here are some pics to substantiate my claim rolleyes.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Having shown all some static displays ,it is time to unveill its brillance,power and potential ,dutifully captured
in cinematic style wink.gif

bekko
A ranchu with confidence.

-steve
Damo
Beauties. The third is the best but all of them together in one aquarium surely gives a beautiful show of colors!!!
calicoly
shiok.gif shiok.gif
aww....
hey doc can we have a side view pic of the white base calico??
goldrush
QUOTE(calicoly @ Fri, 20 Jun 2008 1:33 pm) *

shiok.gif shiok.gif
aww....
hey doc can we have a side view pic of the white base calico??

My pleasure.

Here's one

IPB Image

and this HAND-PICKED laugh.gif

IPB Image

Ihaven't really measure there fishes but they should be around 5 inches

Kinder
Once again nice calicos Doc!

Delighted, specially after the long disruption we had with the site going off-line. These calicos look from the same batch/source, share same egg-like body shape. I do love this white-based calico....really nice and the very special calico above it...the colouration is intense despite they are still being quarantined and there kept at lfs for 2weeks (one would feel due to this their colour intensity would weaken....but not with these calicos).

So many calicos now doc and i see new stocking tubs (light green ones).....any plans on say breeding...?
calicoly
beatiful!!!!
i agree with u kinder!!!
i love white base calico's too!!!

i'm very suprised that no one bought this fish and that it was left in the shop for two weeks, doc u must be very blessed
MachoRanchu
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 19 Jun 2008 2:37 pm) *

I have a very strong feeling that this fish can be a winner blush.gif .Was also wondering why this fish was not picked after almost 2 weeks upon its arrival!!!! rusure.gif

It is not out of quarantine yet but it shows no physical or clinical diability nor any obvious ailments.Its color is simply brilliant and the way it swims simply exude power and grace.A small indentation at its back did not deter me from purchasing it to add to my calico collection.Enough said here are some pics to substantiate my claim rolleyes.gif

Having shown all some static displays ,it is time to unveill its brillance,power and potential ,dutifully captured
in cinematic style wink.gif

I won't worry too much about the indentation. It might smooth out when it bulks up. The coloration is intense and most important, balance on both sides. I like the deportment and headgrowth looks good too.
top_view_ranchu
Hi Doc,
Love your beauties!
Any medication to recommend for hand itch? Hahaha...............
CP
QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 17 Jun 2008 3:33 pm) *

.Recently I just installed a series of FGT with very light green base.

beg2.gif

Cant wait to see your new and impressive setup!
goldrush
For those who like to see more of the snow white calico,here's a video of the fish swimming

After quarantine,the fish seems to show more distinct and intense black spots shiok.gif
calicoly
shiok.gif thanks doc. the whitebase calico is soo cute with its round belly!!!
have u named the fish yet?
the black dots are getting alot darker, well done!!!
goldrush
Hey forget to show this excessively fatten dude in video format. biggrin.gif Here's it today.Despite its clumsiness and rotundant physique, this female still swim with ease without the expected tilt.But still just too fat for everybody's liking,I guess hmm.gif

goldrush

Oh no with barely 3 weeks to go to competition days,
Preparation of my fishes is met with surprises and not much gay
Remember the fish which I regarded with a potential and promising future
Next time I need to have my mouth in suture
It has lost its blue and most blacks to become almost a Sakura
Red patches surface with blood splatters like that of blood sucking Dracula
You may all laugh at its obvious deterioration
Maybe it's got to do with its lousy generation
Or it skill,I have lost in this creation
Back to the drawing board and to make some drastic correction......

IPB Image

IPB Image

goldrush
Hey man,after some 3 months later(Sept MFGC),my red calico is still very much alive.It is almost 15cm now.Colors are still very much vibrant.

IPB ImageIPB Image

Still ready for next round of competition rolleyes.gif .......RECYCLE,REUSE AND REDUCE
goldrush
Just to share the development of this red calico.The last entry was some 2 months back when this fish won under Cat B open class.I have managed to bulk the fish after the competition with further enhanced head growth as well.The length now is slightly over 15 cm.I got about 3 and a half months to go to maintain his physiques and colors for the BIG SHOW.Keeping my fingers crossed peace.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image
goldrush

Lots of blacks

Remember this fish above?

Well this is how she looks today

Looking much trimmer biggrin.gif

IPB Image
goldrush
And much much brilliant!!!!!

IPB ImageIPB Image

good_very.gif
goldrush
Here's the video .Looks too grainy mad.gif You can go to you tube to view the high quality video if you want to see a better production biggrin.gif

Kinder
QUOTE(goldrush @ Mon, 08 Sep 2008 1:01 pm) *

Oh no with barely 3 weeks to go to competition days,
Preparation of my fishes is met with surprises and not much gay
Remember the fish which I regarded with a potential and promising future
Next time I need to have my mouth in suture
It has lost its blue and most blacks to become almost a Sakura
Red patches surface with blood splatters like that of blood sucking Dracula
You may all laugh at its obvious deterioration
Maybe it's got to do with its lousy generation
Or it skill,I have lost in this creation
Back to the drawing board and to make some drastic correction......

Any updates on this white based calico doc?
goldrush
QUOTE(Kinder @ Tue, 24 Feb 2009 5:50 am) *

Any updates on this white based calico doc?

Oh yes kinder.Take a look at this fish now.It has grown to almost 17 cm .It has lost all its blacks on its body with streaks of blacks left only on its tail.

Kinder
Nice one doc!

Any chance of the black spots coming back or any remedy for future calico goldies from stop turning into sakuras? how about with a control diet...like less carotene in diet...so the red doesnt take over the black....?

kinder
goldrush
QUOTE(Kinder @ Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:49 pm) *

Nice one doc!

Any chance of the black spots coming back or any remedy for future calico goldies from stop turning into sakuras? how about with a control diet...like less carotene in diet...so the red doesnt take over the black....?

kinder

I have no idea Kinder blush.gif This is my very first encounter but I doubt the blacks will ever resurface ohmy.gif
Kinder
Surprising, i find in your care (of calicos)...black colour improves alot more and quicker.

Anyways you can always through this girl into your black ranchu tub, hoping at best that some black might rub on to her...or she is gonna get harassed big time...LOL
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.