Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greetings From California, Usa
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Newbie Issues / Say "Hi"/ Testing
orandaluv
Hello All,

My name is Teri and I am new to the hobby of goldfish (water) keeping. I threw the water in there because I have learned rather quickly that we are not keepers of fish rather the keepers of their water. When I first got it in my head that I would like to have a goldfish, I thought a 5 gallon tank with 2 fancies in it would be good. The LFS pleaded with me that the tank was too small, and I was trying too soon to put the fish in. The tank had not had a chance to cycle. Well, my thought was this...the fish were just babies, and I would be more than happy to do weekly water changes. Haha haa haaa...right!

That was back in October of 2007 (not too long ago). 5 fishies lost their lives in that 5 gallon tank before I got one to survive. I now have a 20 gallon tank with an adult Oranda, and the 5 gallon houses a baby Oranda. Soon the baby will go to the 20 gallon, and the 5 gallon will go in to retirement. No goldfish should ever be kept in a 5 gallon tank!

I have fine-tuned my goldfish keeping skills with the help of another goldfish forum. Their moderators and helpers are very knowledgeable, it is a wonderful site. I am looking forward to learning much more on this forum too, and was really happy to find RG.

Sincerely, Teri

aka - orandaluv

100_0710.jpg
PERRY
HI and welcome Teri I too am from california. Glad you learned your lesson on tank size. That is a beautiful oranda u have there. What part of california are you in?
CP
Welcome to RG.

Do take your time to browse thru the threads, and there are also a few other members from US who comes in quiet regularly here.
orandaluv
QUOTE(PERRY @ Sun, 03 Feb 2008 2:36 pm) *

HI and welcome Teri I too am from california. Glad you learned your lesson on tank size. That is a beautiful oranda u have there. What part of california are you in?

Hello Perry,

I'm in the Inland Empire - San Bernardino. Where are you? Yes, Chubby is quite the looker, huh? He wouldn't win any beauty contests, but we're working on developing a deep body for him. As soon as I can lower the tank temp again, he should start putting on some weight. We just went through a slight bout with parasites, but he came through like a champ. Thank you for the compliment. What type of goldfish do you fancy?

Teri

QUOTE(CP @ Mon, 04 Feb 2008 2:28 am) *

Welcome to RG.

Do take your time to browse thru the threads, and there are also a few other members from US who comes in quiet regularly here.

Thank you! My adoration of Oriental culture and art would be the reason I became interested in keeping goldfish, I'm looking forward to learning how the original keepers work their magic. Much of the information I read in the Introduction thread is consistent with our methods here. The only part I have a problem understanding is how you measure the area in which goldfish can be kept. Our standard is 10-20 gallons per fish (depending on type), your standard is measured in feet and depth. It will be interesting to see how they compare.

Teri
PERRY
Im east inland by El Cajon, I fancy all goldfish if you browse my threads most of them have pics of my fish. I too am fighting parasites and ffin rot its a pain in the a$$ but worth the cost of all the meds. I've lost 4 of my fish so far due to a mean strain of ich but its under control now. I got into goldfish keeping the same way love the culture and art and myself being an artists I figured nothing more beautiful than living art.
orandaluv
QUOTE(PERRY @ Tue, 05 Feb 2008 9:11 pm) *

Im east inland by El Cajon, I fancy all goldfish if you browse my threads most of them have pics of my fish. I too am fighting parasites and ffin rot its a pain in the a$$ but worth the cost of all the meds. I've lost 4 of my fish so far due to a mean strain of ich but its under control now. I got into goldfish keeping the same way love the culture and art and myself being an artists I figured nothing more beautiful than living art.

Exactly! I've heard Orandas called the flower of the water, they certainly are! Hey, I made a little video with my digital camera and posted it on YouTube. Here's the link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5exrMuq14WA

I've never tried uploading videos, I got too happy when this one went through. I've become a real goof-ball about my fish. shiok.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.