Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ph Tester
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
a320
Hi Everyone,

My first post. Would like to know what is consensus on ph testers? Do most people use digital or solution?

I'm currently using a milwaukee ph test pen for my aquarium tank (no green water) but it doesn't seem to instill
confidence as i think my buffer solution is not accurate at all. What sort of calibration buffers do you all use? I'm not from singapore so a headache sourcing calibration solutions here.

I've used the Ph test kits before and thought that a test pen is better....but having my doubts now as i'm not sure of the accuracy.

Could appreciate if anyone could share their thoughts......and also if possible some test pens/ kits recommendations, where to get them from and the price.

Thanks.
bekko
I have had a LaMotte test kit for almost two decades. The resolution using the color comparison is not great and I was worried that the solution was too old so I bought a pH pen and calibration solutions (well over $100 with the shipping). I checked my test kit against the new pen and the results were identical. Now, three years later my pen started giving reading that were obviously wrong. I borrowed new calibration solution from the university and it will not properly calibrate. My friend at the university has the same problem with his fancy pH meter which cost even more. I miss the convenience of the pH pen. However, I checked the calibration solutions with the old test kit and it's still correct.

Just be careful with test kits that have the color code printed on paper as the colors can fade over time. My old LaMotte kit has the color embedded in a plastic wheel.

-steve
goldrush
Perhaps this tip can help your calibration

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.ph...;hl=baking+soda

Here are some written articles to support the claim that NaHCO3 will saturate at 8.4 and no more

http://www.clarkekoi.com/Water.html

http://www.akca.org/library/koimed1.htm

That's my most economical way to calibrate my pH pen laugh.gif
a320
Thanks....Really interesting read. Will give it a try with he BS and the distilled water. Just want to verify after testing against the 8.4 solution it gave an accurate reading based on the ph solution tester?

Just curious to know how much these PH digital test pens cost in singapore and where i can readily get one?

I've only just started rearing goldfish in my ex marine tank setup. Unsure if its my PH pen or not (at least until i re calibrate it), but my water reading seems to hovering only about 7.2 without any additives. Tap water is about 7.0 assuming my ph pen is correct. I recently got a cannister filter just to run another 7kgs of small coral stones to increase my buffer....but the PH seems to be stagnant at 7.2......any ideas? Do i need to leave the coral stones longer for the PH to increase or is BS just the only option?
goldrush
rusure.gif I'm a bit confused.You said that you are not from Singapore but your country states otherwise and you want to know how much a pen cost here unsure.gif

Anyway BS is for your pH calibration here as your corals should be more than enough to act as a constant buffer rather than BS which I consider as a transient one peace.gif .
a320
Oooppss.......over looked that while i was in a hurry registering. Actually from Brunei.

I paid 110 bucks here for the pen tester as there aren't a great deal choices here. From what i can tell, it might not be quite that steep in singapore. Any idea how much one would cost and where is it available?

With regards to the PH buffer with my coral stones, do yo mean if i just keep running the coral stones, the PH will become stable at what it is now or will it stabalise at a higher PH?

If its stable at 7.2 and i wanted to increase it? Do i just add BS till it reaches 7.5 and than the buffer will maintain 7.5? I'm a little bit confused.

Thanks
bekko
If you have coral chips to replace the alkalinity and your pH is stable at 7.2 then why mess with it? It sounds like conditions are ideal.

-steve
a320
Hmmm........i was told by my local LFS to aim to get the PH to 7.5. That seems to be what everyone is trying to achieve. I'm just slightly puzzled why with all these coral chips for my 750litres tank, that the PH just stuck at 7.2. I haven't tried to recalibrate my test pen yet using the BS solution of 8.4 but cany anyone tell me if i should just leave it at 7.2 if my test pen is correct or aim to push it higher? If higher......is BS the only way?

Thanks
bekko
The most important thing is to have a stable pH. If you are stable at 7.2 then go with it. Baking soda is very transitory. It will raise the pH quickly and then the pH will quickly fall when it is exhausted.

A lot of factors go into establishing the pH value including the alkalinity, general hardness, minerals the water is being exposed to and the amount of biological activity. You want the coral chips to dissolve "on demand" to replace alkalinity as it is being lost and help maintain a stable pH.

-steve
CP
pH pen (Hanna brand) costs about $60 to $70 in Singapore.
a320
I see ....

That seems a bit clearer now.

Thanks for the price of the Hanna.....whereabouts is it available? Is there any LFS online in singapore?

Any recommendations for a solution ph tester instead of the digital ones? Any comments about using the solution? More cumbersome?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.