Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hump On A Pearlscale
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
bekko
I notice a lot of variation in the back profile on pearlscale. Some have a prominent hump or curve in the back while others have a straighter back. I like the look of the hump-back but can't find any pearlscale standards that say which is better. Is one or the other a fault ?? Is one or the other better ??

-steve

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
calicoly
i'm not usre but the third pic is wat i'd prefer if i was to buy this fish, because a little hump just makes the fish look rounder... wat about u bekko? wat do u think?
bekko
I agree calicoly.

This is being bumped for desireless because he must have an opinion.

-steve
demdamdemekins
It seems that the crown pearlscales often come with humps, and look good with them, but the malaysian style, (and this is conjecture since I've never seen one in person) seem to have shallow backs and very spherical stomachs. At least for my eyes, I prefer relatively humpy crown pearlscales, and don't care much for the tiku pearls at all. Then again, it may be since shorttail fish have never been my bag to begin with.
d_golem
If any fish got hump, then I'm happy. Don't think it's a fault at all.
bekko
That's very interesting. Thank you for your perspective.

-steve
nv85
i prefer the second photo.......nice rounded body, further accentuated by the hump. really nice
bekko
Part of the reason I asked is because you can see the curve in the backbone when the fry only a week old and still transparent. At that size it is pretty obvious which will have a hump and which will not. Unfortunately, I did not act quickly enough to separate them and when they are a little older the future hump is much less obvious.

Here is a shot of a few of them when they were about five weeks old. It is a mixture of metallic and nacreous scale.

-steve

IPB Image

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.