Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: So Far 3 Weeks In Greenwater...
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Forever-mango
Its been atleast 3 weeks since my Goldfish have been transferred into my 1000ltr pond with green water. The initial culture of greenwater was a success! Places afew oranda to seed the pond and test of everything was ok, then my collection went in. In these 3 weeks I have changed the water only once! Which was yesterday afternoon. The pond has no filtration, but it has aeration. The aeration in on 24/7 which allows oxygen for the greenwater as well as the goldfish at nights when the oxygen levels are low.

When changing the green water, I only keep about 50ltrs of it for reseeding the pond.

The following photo and videos are taken 2 hours before I seed the pond with the old greenwater.

IPB Image

Video Part 1 Video Part 2 Video Part 3

Hope you enjoy!
Mango biggrin.gif
Tao
just loving to see they swim in the same direction. the water condition is controlled very well and the fish is very active. it's a great success. just be careful about the fish while season's changing.
calicoly
good_very.gif good_very.gif
very nice thanks for the post
i love that red cap ranchu or was it a lion head? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
wish i could have an outdoor pond... sad.gif sad.gif blush.gif
Forever-mango
Thanks biggrin.gif

Those are red cap ranchu, quite rare in Australia biggrin.gif

Purchased 2 Big Crown Pearlscales, 2 black Orandas, a pingpong pearlscale and a small black butterfly from Tao today.

They are swimming happily togethers smile.gif
Kinder
Hi Mango,

Nice setup...sure your fishes will thank you.
I like one of your red-cap ranchus....it has got nice wen growth, just curious where did you source this ranchu from?

Kinder
Forever-mango
Thanks Kinder.

I got these from the owners of Trans Aquariums in Sydney. I went to their holding and quarantine facility and while they were harvesting their ponds i noticed the two red cap ranchus. I picked them up and they said I could have em since I've been helping them up recently.

Mango biggrin.gif
calicoly
oh mango! i hope u dont mind me callin u dat, but when u went to tao's today did u see any nice calico ranchus? cos i live in melb and was planning on getting some??
Forever-mango
His got heaps of big calico ranchus, didnt really take a notice of them because im still not that fond of calicos at the moment. I can tell you the back is free from deformities, not like the fish from lfs which look like a camel.
Kinder
QUOTE(calicoly @ Tue, 25 Mar 2008 3:33 am) *

oh mango! i hope u dont mind me callin u dat, but when u went to tao's today did u see any nice calico ranchus? cos i live in melb and was planning on getting some??

Tao has got decent collection of chinese ranchus and other goldies, than wat you can find in your local fish stores. I have bought some calicos from Tao last Dec....pics can be found on the link below.

http://www.rafflesgold.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5642

kinder
calicoly
thanks kinder,
hmm i wonder if he can send me a few photoes so i can pick one myself?? hey kinder did u get ur ranchu sent to u thru airport? or u went there urself?? if by plane then can u tell me how many days did ut take before u got ur fish?? thanks
lnicky
Hi mango

I really like your setup. Did you get the tub from Bunnings?
Forever-mango
Thanks Inicky,

I got mine through Reln Plastics. Im in the Koi Society of Australia and they do special deals for them smile.gif

Any tub is fine, just need UV protection, and food grade smile.gif
Kinder
QUOTE(Forever-mango @ Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:20 am) *

Thanks Inicky,

I got mine through Reln Plastics. Im in the Koi Society of Australia and they do special deals for them smile.gif

Any tub is fine, just need UV protection, and food grade smile.gif

When you talk about UV protection you mean for the plastic tub right?
Forever-mango
Yes, have a look at the tubs at Reln Plastics ;)

I got the 1000ltr oval and the 3000ltr round ;)
kingyo08
what do you use for filtration?
CP
QUOTE(kingyo08 @ Thu, 03 Jul 2008 7:16 am) *

what do you use for filtration?

No filtration is required for a green water setup.

Mango,
It may be a good idea to increase the water depth; make it 2000L .More space, better growth.
Rgds
CP
churico4ever
Hi Mango,

as I see your video and your tank, I remember my old outdoor tank and also when my fish is swimming happily, love them ...

nice Job Mango..

keep us updated...

Rico
The Matrix
QUOTE(Forever-mango @ Sun, 23 Mar 2008 11:30 pm) *

Its been atleast 3 weeks since my Goldfish have been transferred into my 1000ltr pond with green water. The initial culture of greenwater was a success! Places afew oranda to seed the pond and test of everything was ok, then my collection went in. In these 3 weeks I have changed the water only once! Which was yesterday afternoon. The pond has no filtration, but it has aeration. The aeration in on 24/7 which allows oxygen for the greenwater as well as the goldfish at nights when the oxygen levels are low.

Hope you enjoy!
Mango biggrin.gif

Actually was expecting you to write something about the fish ... anyway, how do you feel about using green water now ? the fish and you.

I hope i can still get an answer ... haha ...
Forever-mango
Sorry I've been too busy with work and havent been on for ages.

Using green water is good, the fish love it very much until it gets too thick! I forgot to change the water for a month and lost 2 big pearlscales. I regret it very much! But the coloration of all the fish improved alot!

I now have some very black ranchu, growing up nicely and enjoying the green water. I did an experiment with my lfs. I was given 2 black ranchu from the batch as the ones my lfs used for the experiment. We feed the same foods, but i keep outdoors in greenwater and he keeps them in clear water indoors. 2 months late, my fish is pitch black and his is light bronze. And orange and white fish turn red and white.

A lot of my family members wonder why my goldfish are rich in colour and their fins are all erected. Im very happy that I joined this forum and learn so much about greenwater for the fish. Im trying it in my koi pond now smile.gif

Here are some updates with my fish.

Tancho Ranchu #1
IPB Image

Tancho Ranchu #2
IPB Image

One of the smaller black Ranchu
IPB Image

Orange Ranchu with massive wen
IPB Image

Red and White Ranchu
IPB Image

Tancho Ranchu #3
IPB Image

Hello...!
IPB Image

Left (Black Ranchu)...Right (Sold as black Ranchu)
IPB Image

Panda B'fly
IPB Image

Crown Pearlscale #1 (Body size of tennis ball!!)
IPB Image

Crown Pearlscale #2 (pair with #1)
IPB Image

Bigger Black Ranchu
IPB Image

Another Big Black Ranchu
IPB Image

New Panda Ranchus
IPB Image

Hope you like these!
Mango smile.gif
churico4ever
HI Mango,

I loved your fish.. they seems so happy with the outdoor pond
but don't forget to look at them from time to time... because when the green gets thicker... there is a possibility for OB especially when it has too much Oxygen at night...

I think thats how you lost the 2 pearls.. anyway...
great Job on this post...

Rico
LASERGUY
QUOTE(churico4ever @ Mon, 17 Nov 2008 5:52 pm) *

HI Mango,
I loved your fish.. they seems so happy with the outdoor pond
but don't forget to look at them from time to time... because when the green gets thicker... there is a possibility for OB especially when it has too much Oxygen at night...
I think thats how you lost the 2 pearls.. anyway...
great Job on this post...
Rico

I thought that oxigen-burnt only occurs during day-time when sunlight is strong and green is too thick, too much oxigen is produced.
During night, the process reverse and the green will consume oxigen and compete with the fishes, thus, aeration is definitely needed during night time.

Hi mango, I might be wrong, your tancho ranchu#1 showing initial sign of dropsy....scales are popping out near gill area ?
churico4ever
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Mon, 17 Nov 2008 6:14 pm) *

I thought that oxigen-burnt only occurs during day-time when sunlight is strong and green is too thick, too much oxigen is produced.
During night, the process reverse and the green will consume oxigen and compete with the fishes, thus, aeration is definitely needed during night time.

Hi mango, I might be wrong, your tancho ranchu#1 showing initial sign of dropsy....scales are popping out near gill area ?

yes its day time.. I miss-type it to night...maybe I think i was drunk when i type that hehehehe

Forever-mango
QUOTE(LASERGUY @ Mon, 17 Nov 2008 9:14 pm) *

The fish is breathing, i knew someone will comment on that. The other photos I took were blurry because the fish are very active when placed in new water. So its all good, very healthy.

A couple of days ago we got a day of 35*C here in Sydney and a lost a couple of fish. Many of the hobbyist lost many koi as well due to the high temp and lack of oxygen in the ponds. My Koi pond seem on, but I added an airpump to fix the problems.

Getting some breeding stock soon! smile.gif

Mango
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.