Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stepping Into The Appreciation Of Fancy Goldfish
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Newbie Issues / Say "Hi"/ Testing
Sangreaal
Hi all,

I'm new to this board, been reading and exploring it for days. My main focus has been koi and sarassa comets for a few years now, but I recently discovered Ryukin and I don't think there's any turning back. *LOL*

My very first Ryukin and Ranchu came today, and I'd like to share them with you for your comments so that I can learn. I have so many questions and so much more to read before asking them....

Here are my new Ryukin, the bigger one is 6", the smaller one 4-5". They were fairly happy in their bag, though the smallest Ryukin was stressed from the rough ride with two bigger companions.
IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j315/san...sh/100_8016.jpg

And the ranchu:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hope I did well with my first choices,
Marie
nv85
hi Marie hi.gif
these r really beautiful!! i wud buy them too in a heartbeat, if i saw such beautiful specimens here in India. i think u have done extremely well for ur first time!! but i think the smaller ryukin's tail is a bit bent out of proportion. no idea wht can be done for that, infact even i am new to ryukins, and both my ryukins, abt 3 - 4" (they r pretty young) have botched up tails. but since good quality ryukins r difficult to get here, i just chose these two, which r otherwise very beautiful. i too shall post pics soon. but if u want quick and learned replies to these pics, then post them in the Goldfish Academy section. u wont be disappointed!

sincerely
Navaneet Krishnan
Sangreaal
QUOTE(nv85 @ Fri, 18 Apr 2008 9:58 pm) *

hi Marie hi.gif
these r really beautiful!! i wud buy them too in a heartbeat, if i saw such beautiful specimens here in India. i think u have done extremely well for ur first time!! but i think the smaller ryukin's tail is a bit bent out of proportion. no idea wht can be done for that, infact even i am new to ryukins, and both my ryukins, abt 3 - 4" (they r pretty young) have botched up tails. but since good quality ryukins r difficult to get here, i just chose these two, which r otherwise very beautiful. i too shall post pics soon. but if u want quick and learned replies to these pics, then post them in the Goldfish Academy section. u wont be disappointed!

sincerely
Navaneet Krishnan

Thank you Navaneet. hi.gif I appreciate your input. Yes, it's hard to find nice fish where I live too--so I'm forced to buy from pictures on the net and pay high overnight shipping.

The smaller ryukin (male--and they just spawned!) has a different type of tail than the big girl. The caudal penduncle is shorter but the fins themselves are longer like ribbons. I don't know what this would be called or if it's even correct for ryukin. Perhaps I should check out the goldfish academy as you suggest...

Thank you,
Marie
nv85
first of all let me start by telling u how wonderful it feels to get my first actual reply on this forum *THANK U tongue.gif* i dont think theres anything to worry abt. judging from the father, i wud say ur fry have taken after him, since the mother seems to be a short-fin ryukin. so CONGRATS on ur new acquisition, im sure u'll be a very proud owner of some excellent ryukins. but did u consciously try to breed them or did it just happen accidentally? i have tried breeding goldfish in the past, but i find it quite a difficult task. and reading all this stuff on breeding here and on other sites on the net just makes my head swim wacko.gif any help from u will be welcome! blush.gif

speaking of which, i noticed since the past 2 days, that one of my 3" ryukins (which is almost like a baby) is terrorising my other goldfish, which r easily abt 4 times its size!! blink.gif thats so weird, because they seem absolutely terrified by this small fella!! and this guy just enjoys biting all their tails and fins!! he even bites his fellow ryukin, which is slightly bigger! cud u suggest something? i tried isolating him for a while today morning, but rite now, he's at it again, albeit with less ferocity laugh.gif it looks funny, but im sure my big guys r under quite some strain. there tails r already showing bite marks!

sincerely
Navaneet Krishnan
nv85
so tell me, where do u order ur fish online? i saw this place today called goldfishutopia.com. but the prices seem quite exhorbitant, especially, since i have to pay in Indian Rupees! abt $100 for a decent goldfish (including shipping charges) works out to abt Rs. 4000!! also i dont understand if the price they r quoting is for just 1 fish or 1 pair. i wud really like a decent pair of pom-pom golds and maybe black ranchu, but i cant afford such steep prices! cry.gif but on the brighter side im getting a nice BIG tank for my fishies next month when i move into my new house good_very.gif
nv85
QUOTE(Sangreaal @ Mon, 21 Apr 2008 7:38 pm) *

The smaller ryukin (male--and they just spawned!) has a different type of tail than the big girl. The caudal penduncle is shorter but the fins themselves are longer like ribbons. I don't know what this would be called or if it's even correct for ryukin.

i think i misunderstood wht u meant.......i thought u said ur male ryukin just spawned (correct me if im mistaken). anyways, if u were talking abt these 2 fish then wht i have to say is this: the larger one is a short-fin ryukin, and the smaller one is a long-fin ryukin. these r the 2 common variations, apart from colour, matt/spangling scales, etc. generally short-fin ryukins have a deeper, more pronounced body form, with the back arching into a sizeable hump. in the long-fin variety the bodies and humps r less pronounced, though selective breeding has some Chinese/Thai varieties (im not sure which) of long-fin ryukin with deep body growth. but anyway, i wud suggest u give ur little guy time. with good nutritious feedings and lots of sun light, im sure this little guy will grow into a show prize winning stunner. infact all 3 fish u have shown here have that potential!

cheers
Navaneet Venkatesan
PS: sorry for multiple replies. i just replied as and when things struck me
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.