Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goldfish Without Food/waterchange For 3 Weeks
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
32Bit_Fish
Hi Everyone,

I have a 40G tank with three 5" lionheads. Are they going to be ok without food and waterchange for three weeks? I probably need to travel oversea soon.

Thanks
ernie
With a good filter and uninterupted power supply, it shouldn't be a problem as goldfish can survive without food for weeks. hi.gif
32Bit_Fish
QUOTE(ernie @ Mon, 30 Jun 2008 1:07 pm) *

With a good filter and uninterupted power supply, it shouldn't be a problem as goldfish can survive without food for weeks. hi.gif

Thanks for your reply ernie. What's your standard on a good filter? I have two OH Power filters that are running on the tank with total water turnover rate of 500GPH.

kingyo08
it is a good idea to feed a little extra before hand, but that should be fine.
bekko
The worst thing you can do is have a friend or relative feed your fish while you are gone. Invariably, the fish will be over-fed. You are right to just walk away.

Water change is to dilute pollution. The amount of pollution is proportional to the amount of food. No food, no pollution, no problem.

-steve
thomas_n
If you choose to do this, can you take some pics and post now and some if they survive?

It would be interesting to see before/after.

I would guess some thing like this:

before = tongue.gif

after = broken_heart.gif sick.gif

32Bit_Fish
What do u mean? I know the fish is going to loss some weight after three weeks without w/c and food. Hopefully they wont get sick.
ernie
Well,I would presume your OH power filter is fine as long as it keeps your water clear. I am using an external filter. Three weeks without food is very safe for golfish. Moreover, without WC built up you need not worry about your fish getting sick. hi.gif
thomas_n
QUOTE(32Bit_Fish @ Tue, 01 Jul 2008 5:48 am) *
What do u mean? I know the fish is going to loss some weight after three weeks without w/c and food. Hopefully they wont get sick.

just trying to move the discussion out of the possibility of something to the effects.
isntkarmagreat
QUOTE(32Bit_Fish @ Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:55 am) *

Hi Everyone,

I have a 40G tank with three 5" lionheads. Are they going to be ok without food and waterchange for three weeks? I probably need to travel oversea soon.

Thanks

Being that you are a little overstocked, three 5" lionheads is alot for a 40 gallon. I think that you would have a pretty big build up of nitrates in there. 3 weeks without food and a water change is kinda pushing it . If possible, I would have someone come over at least to feed them,and if possible instruct them on how to do a water change.
calicoly
hi i'am soon to face this problem as well, i have a 600 litre tank with 8 medium size fish, i use two internal otto filters 500 l/h and 600l/h, and also two external cannister filter, and a uv as well. but i will be goin oversease for 8 weeks.
would u reccomend feeding twice a week and water changes once a fortnight??
please help!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.