Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pls Help My Babies Ryukins
RafflesGold Forums > Misc Rumble Area > Newbie Issues / Say "Hi"/ Testing
sherri28
Hi,

I juz brought 9 baby rykins back last Saturday and really regretted it cuz 5 of them died in my hands and i feel so bad about it. My husband put in half a packet of salt into a 5inch deep pond as instructed by the fish farm owner.

I guess is becoz i buy a rykin from another goldfish pet shop that had some dieseases on Sunday to replace the one that had died in the morning as i did not on the air pump.

At first the baby fishes seem to have not much of a problem. Then when i put in the new rykin in, three fishes died the next day. At night, the new rykin, started to swim sideways, upside down ect. I put in on quarantine.

To cut the long story short, i bring the remaining 5 babies and the one that i brought from another pet shop to the vet. Sadly, it was diagnosed that the fish had been infected with SBD but the vet found no bacteria as it was put under the microscope. I was recommended to put the poor fish to sleep. I cried cuz looking at the way it suffered, i felt bad and sad.

For the other remaining five, they are in perfect condition and are swimming happily except that they suffered from discolouration on the skin. Black strip appear on the skin ect. The vet said it's because of bad water condition.

She recommend me to put in a filter which i had not did so coz the stupid fish farm owner told me that only a water pump is required without anything else and asked me to put in half a packet of salt. I asked the owner what happen if too much salt? he said the fishes only came up to the water to breath, noting will happen. LIAR! (MAINLAND FISH FARM)

The vet asked me not to feed the babies for 4-5 days. Put the fishes in quarantine. Clean up the whole pond and let the filter run for a night before putting in the babies.

But, i am busy with my work and unable to do it expect on weekend.

The question is:

1) Anyone one can recommend me a good fish shop to buy the sponge filter near Sengkang, Compasspoint point?

2) I still put my babies back in the pond, how to quarantine them, juz put the five in a pail filled with tap water while the filter is running throught the whole night?

3) How to clean up the pond, i put stone and all these. That means i had to clear up everything then sun them under the sun? Then put in tap water, put in the anti-chorine and the sponge filter for 12 hours before putting the babies back into the pond?

4) Is there anyway to cure the discolouration on the skin, the vet did not give me any medication.

Hope will have a fast reply cuz i had no time and busy in the daytime with my work and don't have time to run through the forum. I go through some, but i do not understand anything cuz this is my first time in my life keeping fishes.
bekko
You seem to be suffering from too many opinions already so I feel bad about suggesting anything.

The black is the skin healing from some sort of insult - possibly high ammonia or too much salt. The black is a good sign and it will go away in a few weeks.

If there is not a satisfactory place to hold the fish while the pond is being cleaned (only a pail of water) then I would go ahead and put them in the pond. The stress of living in a pail until you can find time to work on the pond is probably worse than the stress of living in a pond which needs some work.

Make sure there is plenty of aeration through bubbling or splashing and change some water in the pond whenever you can. You can work on cleaning the pond and adding filtration slowly as time allows.

-steve
sherri28
quote name='bekko' date='Wed, 09 Jul 2008 1:18 pm' post='57217']
You seem to be suffering from too many opinions already so I feel bad about suggesting anything.

The black is the skin healing from some sort of insult - possibly high ammonia or too much salt. The black is a good sign and it will go away in a few weeks.

If there is not a satisfactory place to hold the fish while the pond is being cleaned (only a pail of water) then I would go ahead and put them in the pond. The stress of living in a pail until you can find time to work on the pond is probably worse than the stress of living in a pond which needs some work.

Make sure there is plenty of aeration through bubbling or splashing and change some water in the pond whenever you can. You can work on cleaning the pond and adding filtration slowly as time allows.

-steve
[/quote]

Hi,

I went back yesterday night and changed the water cuz i can't bear to see my babies suffer in the bad water condition. I took out all the pebbles in the pond and all the dirt got stuck inside and it's real smelly. I had a hard time catching them as they refuse to go into the net and rejecting me by swimming quickly away, all of them. I had to be really soft with them to avoid hurting them.

i put my babies in a small bathtub with the air bubbles and they seemed to be doing fine. I noticed that one of my baby as stated had black marks all over its body and sometime it keep positioning itself on top of the water but it will go down into the water when it see me:) I saw other fishes rubbing its body.

I went to buy a sponge filter and will be putting it in tonight. I wash the whole container as its real smelly and top up with clean water and added the anti-chlorine. I left the water for the whole night yesterday and will only be putting in my babies back in the pond tonight.

I am glad that five of them had survived the ordeal after constant dying of the fishes for the past 3days. Hope that they will be with me and grow up to be become adult fishes. This will be my greatest accomplishment. Can't wait to see them grow up! By the way, they are like the size of guppies only.

P.S. THEY REFUSED TO EAT WHEN I FEED THEM WITH THE HIKARI GOLDFISH STAPLES FLOATING PELLETS. THEY WILL EAT, SPILT OUT, EAT AND THEN SPILT OUT AGAIN. IS THE FOOD TOO BIG FOR THEIR MOUTH OR IS IT BECOZ OF THE BAD WATER CONDITION? THE VET INSTRUCTED ME TO STOP GIVING IT FOOD FOR 4 DAYS BUT I CAN'T BEAR TO LET THEM GO HUNGRY. ANY OTHER WAYS TO MAKE THEM EAT?

CP
Hi sherri28,

It will be too tedious to answer all your queries as they covered almost every topic - stocking level ie tank/pond size, filtratition and cycling, quarantine and diseases etc etc.Anyway, what you have faced is a very common problem faced by hobbyists venturing into fishkeeping for the first time.You are not the first, and certainly will not be the last.

I have checked that you have read "Begineers guide to goldfish keeping" and Goldrush's article "10 commanments of fishkeeping". For a start, pay more attention to point No.4 of the begineer's guide ie the topic on cycling. You tank/filter has to be cycled before the fish get killed by their own toxic wastes; and it takes about a month for the tank to cycle. So the shopowner's advise of not requiring a filter is bu**sh*t and your vets advise of letting the filter run for a day is not accurate either.

Try saving your current babies first. Let the filter run and do partial water changes say 50% every 3 days (dechlorinate your water), until the filter matures.If the fishes die one after another, continue with keeping the remaining and do not add new fish. If they all die within a month, suggest that you stop buying at the moment until you are more familiar with the hobby (by reading up the guide over and over again) and seeking advise from more experienced hobbyists.

Lastly, crude as I may sound, it is simply not cost justifiable to bring pet goldfish to vets. Unlike dogs and cats and other pets, here in the real goldfish world, fishes are culled by the thousands in the name of quality selection before they end up in lfs.
sherri28
Hi,

Can anyone pls help me. My babies scale have turn almost back in colour. At first, its only a bit now one of it turn almost completely black.

What happen? I try to do a search on the net but to no avail. Any treatment for them? They seem to be quite okay. The vet recommend me to do only 20% water change and add salt but i don't dare cuz don't know whether its good for them. Morever, it could be the fact that i add too many salt that caused the discolouration on their body.

Pls advise.

Thanks

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Some additional pic.

This fish suffer the most on its body and the other fish also started have this problem but not as black as this fish.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
bekko

If you keep catching them and dragging them around in a net they will never get better.

-steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.