Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Something From The Past
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
hi.gif

Imagine that one day, while you are exploring your family's attic, you find an old diary.which appears to be over 100 years old! Well not quite a century old but I found an old article and my very first publication about goldfish keeping featured in Goldfish Society magazine back in 1986 March Issue.

IPB Image

In reading it, I realize how old I have been in this goldfish hobby and the passion of writing is suddenly rekindled in our present age through cyber connection. Back then my articles dwelt on the principle of goldfish keeping, no ten commandments nor any fish medicine discussion.

IPB Image

IPB Image

It took a few weeks to complete in writing and another couple of months before being accepted for publication.Back then there were very few western literature and awareness on goldfish keeping and perhaps I was the only eastern guy trying my luck to impress the western audience through my maiden writing.

IPB Image

Beaming with pride,I flipped through the pages and noticed some of my hand- drawn line drawings of my goldfishes to complement my literature were very well drawn(I must say)at that time.

IPB ImageIPB Image
IPB Image

Lying next to this article was a well preserved membership card, still very much intact, crisp and laminated.

IPB Image

Time has passed and this discovery certainly reveals how Jurassic I have been in this industry and yet the fire of keeping and learning from goldfishes is yet to be extinguished.Today,some twenty odd years later,old doc is still no god but a humble messenger to spread the good of true goldfish keeping.

There is however, an ancient wise Chinese saying that perturbs me

He who knows doesn’t say
He who says, doesn’t know

If I live by the above saying, goldrush may just be an empty vessel making the most noise here!!!

So don't listen to me too much….. wacko.gif wacko.gif wacko.gif
CP
You missed out the sixth F.
Forums - Participate for exchange of knowledge. biggrin.gif

Of course, back then, there wasn't any internet. Even though your report looked to be typed from a PC instead of typewriter, I guess it must be from a lower version of "Wordstar" . The paragraphs are not aligned. tongue.gif
goldrush
keekeke I only learn to use the pc this millenium and if I can recall it was type written using one of those ancient type writer(Olympia) which was not even an electronic one hysterical.gif
thomas_n
it's an interesting read. 1986 is a long time to be thinking and maintaining a hobby, much less, a passion. it really puts things into prespective when I look at your fish. It's like reading the Foundations of Goldrush's philosophy and note how the practice, experience and experiments reinforced or changed practice. life was so easy with 20-30% water changes happydance1.gif

nice drawings and good writing laugh.gif
Kinder
Wow a nice "Gem" from down memory lane; Doc!

Even back then, you had nice writing and drawing skills (No MSWord to make elaborate diagrams etcs).

Im sure folks at Goldfish Society of America, must have been impressed by your passion & skills.

keep it up,
Kider
top_view_ranchu
Bravo Doc! 20 over years is indeed a long time, perhaps older than many reading this lines here? Keep the flame growing.....
bekko
Thank you Doc. That's really neat. GSA seems to have a hard time getting people to submit articles now that the internet has consumed us. I hear them calling your name. Are you still a member?

-steve
goldrush
QUOTE(bekko @ Thu, 07 Aug 2008 3:18 pm) *

Thank you Doc. That's really neat. GSA seems to have a hard time getting people to submit articles now that the internet has consumed us. I hear them calling your name. Are you still a member?

-steve

Hahahaha.....Glad you enjoy something nostalgic but I am no longer a member of GSA for many years .With internet just a finger tip away,perhaps to pen in writing would be too troublesome,time consuming and just obsolete in this fast and advancing world of ours. laugh.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(top_view_ranchu @ Thu, 07 Aug 2008 1:16 pm) *

Bravo Doc! 20 over years is indeed a long time, perhaps older than many reading this lines here? Keep the flame growing.....

Time to pass the flame before it become a dying amber laugh.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(Kinder @ Thu, 07 Aug 2008 9:30 am) *

Wow a nice "Gem" from down memory lane; Doc!

Even back then, you had nice writing and drawing skills (No MSWord to make elaborate diagrams etcs).

Im sure folks at Goldfish Society of America, must have been impressed by your passion & skills.

keep it up,
Kider

blush.gif Not that they were impressed but they just got nothing else to publish then laugh.gif

QUOTE(thomas_n @ Thu, 07 Aug 2008 2:12 am) *

it's an interesting read. 1986 is a long time to be thinking and maintaining a hobby, much less, a passion. it really puts things into prespective when I look at your fish. It's like reading the Foundations of Goldrush's philosophy and note how the practice, experience and experiments reinforced or changed practice. life was so easy with 20-30% water changes happydance1.gif

nice drawings and good writing laugh.gif

Wow you really go to the length of scrutinising every word that was written beg2.gif Nothing much has changed except for the rule on water change.Back then I was perhaps complacent or contented just to keep the fishes alive but not necessary reached their potential of growth and vigour.
goldrush
QUOTE(CP @ Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:38 pm) *

You missed out the sixth F.

Ever heard of 6 Ws????

WORK WILL WIN WHEN WISHING WON'T wink.gif

Something for all participants in the upcoming MFGF competition to chew on
n-bie
Hi Doc,
Noobie here, usually just browsing this forum to learn for sometime now.
After reading this thread, no matter what have to give you a BIG SALUTE. beg2.gif beg2.gif beg2.gif

Doc really put out the meaning of Ranchu is Persistence, Passion, and patience.

Doc, i can see you good at poem and drawing art (of goldfish) eh.

BTW love your calicos very much.

Thanks
goldrush
More archaeological findings found under tons of rubble biggrin.gif With MFGC just 10 days away maybe I should share some "ancient" artifacts or rather the very first trophies which yours truly have amassed in the 80s. Surprisingly these trophies remain very much intact,solid and well preserved.Unlike modern trophies these are mounted on solid wood and championship ones are three feet tall ohmy.gif Here are some these unearthed for your viewing pleasure

IPB Image

IPB Image
goldrush
Believe me this one is almost THREE FEET TALL!!!!!!!!!!

IPB Image
goldrush
Now let me share with you the close up inscription of the trophies to depict what I had won some 20+++ years ago

IPB Image

The above marks the pinnacle of my achievement back then when I had a pair of calico ranchus crowned champion.......(LANCHO means ranchu back then laugh.gif cheena spelling)
goldrush
IPB Image

2nd prize for LIU KIM means Ryukin

IPB Image

Another 2nd for red and White Ranchus
goldrush
IPB Image

Even got Chinese inscriptions depicting @nd prize winner in the Japanese Ryukin category
goldrush
20 +++ years had passed.Competitions back then were not well represented by hobbyists.Commercial entities and LFS command the majority of the entries.There were no prize money but the trophies speak volume of the pride in winning back then.After these years ranchus and ryukins remain my personal favorites and calico the color of my choice shiok.gif Will history repeat itself after so many years............ sweatingbullets.gif sweatingbullets.gif sweatingbullets.gif

goldrush
CP
Hey, I thot you were still in school in 1985.? Participated while still studying ? Or doing your housemanship?
goldrush
QUOTE(CP @ Sat, 13 Sep 2008 10:31 pm) *

Hey, I thot you were still in school in 1985.? Participated while still studying ? Or doing your housemanship?

Kekeke Graduated already lah.My late father was an avid goldfish collector,so I got the privelege to select what I deem to be potential winners and he paid for most of the prized fish. blush.gif .

desireless
Hahaha...

"Lancho" and "Liu Kim" sound really beng (punkish) laugh.gif

Do you not keep photos of those winning fishes?
goldrush
QUOTE(desireless @ Sat, 13 Sep 2008 11:20 pm) *

Hahaha...

"Lancho" and "Liu Kim" sound really beng (punkish) laugh.gif

Do you not keep photos of those winning fishes?

Give me some time to sieve through thick family albums and hidden,buried archives.With luck you may get to see some pictures......But those days pics are not in digital format so not many are taken and those taken are pretty expensive and often poorly developed hmm.gif
Gold Digger
It is a testament of your dedication. May you continue to inspire all of us. Cheers!
n-bie
Wah already champions 20++ years ago.

After learning and browsing this forum for 10 months, and manage to keep 2 svr alive till now, i think : Hey i can keep goldfish liao, altough still learning to walk, should upgrade some more, then come the new babies. blush.gif
To know that Doc is so humble despite already championS 20++ years ago make me feel like just been born yesterday wacko.gif Arrrrgh
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.