Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Goldfish Colour Change
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
Ray Ng
Here's a Ryukin which I bought in the beginning of the year (Jan 2008)

And now (Aug 2008)

the red has totally disappeard. Is there a concrete reason for this?

Living condition of Ryukin:
- Outdoor tub with walls covered wtih green algae
Photo link: My outdoor tub
- water change. Don't really know but I pour 12 litres of water to the tub everyday

* Goldfish hasn't really have any disease so far

Is there any explanation for this?
Kinder
I was replying to you Q and then my PC decided to restart...

Anyhow i was saying, the colour change is some what common in fishes from china (based on personal experience). Mostly with red coloured fishes, i have a red ranchu, after 2-3 months the colour started to fade...now the fish has pineapple coloured head and red only on its back curve.

I do keep my fishes in good water conditions with 80L/fish n good food. I suspect back in farms in china, they might feed their a lot of colour enhancement food...therefore the colour starts to fade out after like 2-3months and not instantly. or i have heard of injections....no sure.

others might be able to provide more accurate info

(Your Ryukin had nice colour pattern on its fins..... )

Kinder
goldrush
Try not to buy juvenile fish which are still subjected to color changes and color instability.Once lost,the red may never resurface again(sun or no sun).
WhiteRanger
I feel your lost, now he's all common like common mango, trying some ProGold or hikari Colour.
Veryl
I had one ryukin go the other way, he had only red fins when i got him. In 3 weeks he started developing red on his body. 3 years later still has it and maybe a little more. I'd recommend taking any color enchacers away from him.
On the same subject i'm considering moving my all white panda's to a darker room with no light. Figure nothing else works. Has anyone else try'd this?
bekko
Veryl, I had a common and a wakin develop more red. The kiwa is not very sharp on either and I don't really like it.

I am pretty sure that a black tank can help hold the black on a panda, but my guess is that once the black disappears it is gone forever. Let us know if the dark room helps.

-steve
churico4ever
Most of the fish change the color from months to months... my neighbor has the same experience as what you have now, it turns white after 7 months, so he just feed more daphnia and wheat germ to his fish and after a couple of months it change color again bringing back the red and white... so try to green water it and choose a healthy food for your fish

Rico
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.