Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ideal Temperature For Goldfish
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
tyuan11
OK I just wanted to know what is the ideal (exact) temperature to keep goldfish in for them to grow? I saw somewhere on this site that a high protein diet and high temperature will make your goldfish grow faster. Is this true and how much protein should be in the food??? Thank you in advance biggrin.gif
bekko
Growth rate is influenced by many interacting factors including food, temperature, water quality, fish density (space), genetics, etc. At higher temperatures there is a faster growth potential, but the actual growth may be less because high temperature also exacerbates water quality maintenance. At high temperature the fish's metabolism is higher so it must eat more, but higher feeding rates impact water quality. The best way to get exceptional growth is by selecting genetically strong fish and providing them with a lot of space - the more space the better.

Just keep your tank at room temperature, use a high-quality goldfish food supplemented with fresh leafy vegetables, and do not crowd them.

-steve
tyuan11
QUOTE(tyuan11 @ Mon, 15 Sep 2008 3:47 pm) *

OK I just wanted to know what is the ideal (exact) temperature to keep goldfish in for them to grow? I saw somewhere on this site that a high protein diet and high temperature will make your goldfish grow faster. Is this true and how much protein should be in the food??? Thank you in advance biggrin.gif

Room temperature is high enough?
bekko
They call goldfish "cold water fish" but, yes, room temperature is high enough. If you are comfortable, they are comfortable. There is no magic temperature and different set-ups and management styles will perform better at different temperatures.

The other thing to remember is that rapid growth is not always best. The quality of a goldfish is determined by many characteristics and if you push the growth rate too much certain characteristics could deteriorate (e.g. conformation, color).

-steve
tyuan11
QUOTE(tyuan11 @ Mon, 15 Sep 2008 9:09 pm) *

Room temperature is high enough?

Thank you very much. You answered my question very well. biggrin.gif Oh and one more little thing. I hav progold sinking pellets and when i feed them, they sink to fast. When they reach the floor, my goldfish have a hard time finding it. Is there a solution to this?
bekko
Why? Do you have gravel on the bottom? You could either remove the gravel or switch to a floating pellet like Hikari Goldfish Staple or Hakari Goldfish Gold.

-steve
churico4ever
One of the shop owners here in china said that the ideal temp for the gold fish is 18C-21C because it is a cold-blooded fish...
so far of what I've seen it is fair to have a temp within the range of that temp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.