Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Days Before Tomorrow(250908)
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
goldrush
hi.gif Dear fellow competitors

I am suppose to write this a day or two before competition .I find that time would be just too short to get last minute adjustment and items of importance pertaining to the show.So I decide to publish this article for your perusal.Now all preparations of your fish would have been completed.Many months before,your fish should be identified and groomed for this honour. Only fish in their healthiest condition will stand a chance of winning a prize and if your goldfish is judged to be 'off-colour' by the judging team, all efforts would have gone down the drain by your negligence. So donít go shopping around at this time for a show winner.I donít think it can make it on time to show its best(Save your new arrivals for next round of competition )Your setup should provide your potential winner with the best possible conditions. Feed them on a high quality colour enhancing diet weeks before compe (but not too excessive!!!).

A week or two before the show, start adding continuous drips of fresh water over your setup to get that clean water feeling and get your fish accustom to fresh new water effect at competition ground. It maybe a bit impractical for green water practitioner here but getting your fish to experience a pseudo-competitive environment would undoubtedly be an added advantage.Change water diligently(I do 100% every 3 days!!!!) to get that cleaned and clear setup taste .Feeding has to be cut down to only one meal aday.

3-5 days before the show date, stop feeding your fish altogether. This will give them sufficient time to empty their digestive system, helping to maintain a good water quality while in transit and in the show tank.For female fish fasting up to 5 days is no consequence.They have better body conformation to withstand a loss of bulk through this short period of starvation.Males can lose their bulk in a matter of days so you have to feed up to 3 days before benching(Base on my personal opinion only)

Check that you have sufficient heavy-duty bags for your transportation.A couple of spares would be welcomed in case of ruptures or unexpected leaks.

IPB Image

I find this bags exceptionally conducive ,durable and excellent for the job.Self standing upon filling,these square based plastics provide excellent comfort for large breeds like orandas and ryukins.I was told only Chinese shipments come with these exclusive bags!

IPB Image

Some prefer styrofoam boxes to prop up ďspinelessĒ bags ,so donít forget to soure some. Oxygen cylinder for filling up the bags prior to the journey are optional paraphernalias. A cheaper alternative of providing O2. would be powdered ” releaser like SERA ” plus which is retailed at about $17++ .

goldrush
Donít forget your medicine bags!

IPB Image

You can never know what gonna croak up.Oh no Parasites at this time!!!!!.Well at competitive ground should you suspect any of your fish is down with parasitc infestation,you can only choose what I call ďinvisibleĒ medication.You canít use favorites like malachite green,methylene blue as these will be BOO BOO during competition.So only colourless alternatives(which may not as effective at times)are allowed or rather can be administer without anybody suspecting.OK very limited options but here are some which to my best knowledge can control in this hour of excitement and hopefully not disappointment

Argulus/anchor :Dimilin(Colorless)
White spot:Copper sulphate by Mardel(almost colorless)
Slime/Gill/Skin fluke:Interpet no 7(Undetectable)
Well if you are really desperate and in dire straits,our best friend SALT may still be our only rescue ,however you may end up turbid water and surface bubbling of your show tank!!!

As for control of unwanted and unwelcome ammonia during this 5 days of showing, ammo-lock prove to be the answer to mob out any untreated and residual ammonia.So you may armed yourself with some.

IPB Image

Showing your fish allows you to take goldfish keeping beyond the confines of your home tanks, garden pond or even rental setups. It tests your abilities as a keeper and enables your goldies to be compared objectively against others. Some of us love our fishes too much to risk showing them, while others love them equally as much but still want to show them off to other fellow keepers. Most of us participating obviously belong to the latter group and I wish all participants every success on that day after tomorrow(judgement day)
CP
You've got to be one of the (if not the ) most prepared guy with the most prepared fish for the comp. beg2.gif
There used to be a thread on fish conditioning prior to comps.......just too lazy to trace and merge it. biggrin.gif

QUOTE(goldrush @ Tue, 16 Sep 2008 2:41 pm) *

A week or two before the show, start adding continuous drips of fresh water over your setup to get that clean water feeling and get your fish accustom to fresh new water effect at competition ground. It maybe a bit impractical for green water practitioner here............

This is where green water practitioners like yours truly will be somewhat 'disadvantaged'. I feel that it is better to condition them in clear water prior to comp ; but somehow a little lazy to do so. Straight from pond to compe tank blush.gif So they will experience some pH shock, and green poos all over the place. birgits_giggle.gif

But then again, I am not that serious a competitor........ rolleyes.gif

goldrush
QUOTE(CP @ Tue, 16 Sep 2008 9:26 pm) *

You've got to be one of the (if not the ) most prepared guy with the most prepared fish for the comp. beg2.gif

As competition is drawing near,
Let not our minds tremble with fear,
Tis too late to fret now my dear,
Didn't you prepare your fish throughout the year?

Aiya dont see me so formidable
Dont regard me that invincible
The most prepared may not easily win
Sekali all entries masok ke dustbin!!!! laugh.gif

I can only share the do and dont here
But to win a prize ,that's nowhere near
On that day we will clash as fiends
After the results ,we will still be friends wink.gif
stoptogo
Hi Goldrush,

Could you share where can we get those plastic bags?

Thank you. tongue.gif
goldrush
QUOTE(stoptogo @ Wed, 17 Sep 2008 9:10 am) *

Hi Goldrush,

Could you share where can we get those plastic bags?

Thank you. tongue.gif

Most LFS that bring in Chinese goldfish should possess some.Mainland,Rainbow and 35A Pasir Ris just to mention a few
stoptogo
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 17 Sep 2008 9:26 am) *

Most LFS that bring in Chinese goldfish should possess some.Mainland,Rainbow and 35A Pasir Ris just to mention a few

Ok thank you. yes.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.