Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nitrate, Phosphate Filter For Fish Tank
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
small_ranchu
Hi all,
People in salt water world reveal secret of how to remove nitrate, phosphate from tank water. I have put it on the site and decide to share with you guys. Take a look at it and tell me what you think. You can post your opinion over there or here.

http://goldfishkeepers.com/scrubber.php

Can we replace green water with this technology? I remember Doc doesn't use green water to achieve premium quality fish.
happydance1.gif
CP
For marine setup control of nitrates is of paramount importance as invertebrates are highly sentitive to it. If i'm not wrong, nitrate readings has to be less than 10ppm. They can't change water as often as we do; hence an elaborate and expensive denitrator is in place.

For us goldfish enthusiasts, we have the choice of water change or denitrator. The former is still cheaper IMO; furthermore water changes will help replenish lost trace minerals as well as ridding the system of growth inhibitors.

My humble 2 cents. wink.gif
small_ranchu
CP,
I agree with you, nothing in the goldfish world can replace water change. Have you consider the amount of Nitrate reading at the end of the week b4 water change? For my system, if I feed heavily Nitrate reading will be 40 PPM at water change day. Instead of letting fish stay in 10-40 PPM nitrate in clear water system, I believe fish staying in <10PPM water for the whole week is better.
It's a little bit more expensive than regular filter method because you have to provide addition lighting (20 watts). it is cheaper than indoor green water method since you need more light on that setting.
You can also bring algae from Scrubber's screen to feed your goldies. Thanks.
CP
I try to maintain nitrates below 50ppm...... sometimes when lazy to change water, can hit 80 or 100ppm. blush.gif

In Singapore, fresh tap water can have nitrates up to 15ppm..... hmm.gif
small_ranchu
wow 80 to 100 is too high. You should try algae screen and lower your Nitrate to 10 PPM everyday. smile.gif
goldrush
Well in theory,the algae filter seems an alternative to water changes if nitrates are what you are after.Apart from depleting the system of nitrates and phosphates,it act as a haven for the proliferation of copepods and animacules which are rich source of nutrition for your fishes.However the disadvantages may deter its routine application and installation.These are a few I can think of.

1)Cost
2)Need extras space to accomodate the device
3)Frequent cleaning to avoid clogging
4)Need extra light for it to thrive

Yes I do not use green water to achieve favorable results of my fish keeping,but I do not use an algae filtration to achieve that either biggrin.gif I use routine water changes to remove most of the nitrogenous waste and incorporate chemical absorption(through Purigen) to mob up any residual wastes that remain after the routine changes.Cost me less than $20 for a possible six months grace and it is fully rechargeable!!!
small_ranchu
1. It's not that expensive to have it though. You can buy a PVC pipe at any hardware store and put it on the existing filter(sump. I know very few people has sump).
2. Yes.
3. We have to do it any way.
4. Yes.

I have the system for almost 1 month and my water reading is improving. Nitrate reading is 10 PPM at the day of water change( heavy feeding + 90% water change weekly). Brown algae on the wall is disappearing as well.

I scratch algae from filter and feed goldfish. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.