Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Max. Weight Of A Fish Tank That A Cabinet Can Take?
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
ranchuone
I have a cabinet which is made up of four supporting panels and below is their measurement.

4 panels - 80cm(Height) x 57cm(Width) x 1.7cm(Thickness)

Can anybody give me some advice on what the maximum weight it can support?

Thanks,
Eric
ranchuone
So no one knows the answer to my question?????? sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif
CP
What's it made of? Steel? Timber? Plywood?

Any pics?
ranchuone
It is made of pinewood and at the moment there is a 6ft x 14" x 18" fish tank sitting on it. I am thinking of replace it with a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank.

I will take a pic and post it soon.
ranchuone
Okay...here is the pic of my cabinet. So would this be strong enough to support a fish tank with the above mentioned measurement?

IMG_0165.JPG
CP
Current tank approx 300 litres of so its 300kg.

6x2x2 approx 700 litres of water so its 700kg ......about 10 adults ohmy.gif . And that does NOT include the weight of the tank itself which can weight another 100kg for a 6x2x2.

Pinewood is soft so I would advise against it.
white horse T1
i think to spead the weight, u could

a. add a stereoform below the proposed tank to spread the weight of tank on the cabinet.

b. at the bottom of cabinet, it is 4 legged. u could wedge in supports on the base for the centre to become 8 legged instead. the weakest link now us the centre. see if u got the centre divider also at the centre to spread the weight down to the proposed leg. see diagram below

IPB Image

of course, before u start, call yr friends total abt 700 kg to sit or stand ontop of the cabinet, if u hear cracking sound, yr friends could jump off

ranchuone
QUOTE(CP @ Sun, 29 Mar 2009 1:22 am) *

Current tank approx 300 litres of so its 300kg.

6x2x2 approx 700 litres of water so its 700kg ......about 10 adults ohmy.gif . And that does NOT include the weight of the tank itself which can weight another 100kg for a 6x2x2.

Pinewood is soft so I would advise against it.

Thanks for your advice, CP! Cheers.
ranchuone
QUOTE(white horse T1 @ Sun, 29 Mar 2009 4:44 pm) *

i think to spead the weight, u could
a. add a stereoform below the proposed tank to spread the weight of tank on the cabinet.

b. at the bottom of cabinet, it is 4 legged. u could wedge in supports on the base for the centre to become 8 legged instead. the weakest link now us the centre. see if u got the centre divider also at the centre to spread the weight down to the proposed leg. see diagram below

of course, before u start, call yr friends total abt 700 kg to sit or stand ontop of the cabinet, if u hear cracking sound, yr friends could jump off

Thank you for your advice! I agree with your suggestion and might have to add more legs to the cabinet.
By the way, I really like your last advice though...never thought of using friends to test it out!!! good_very.gif
CP
Do factor in the weight of another 30 bottles of wine as well.................... rolleyes.gif
ranchuone
QUOTE(CP @ Tue, 31 Mar 2009 1:47 am) *

Do factor in the weight of another 30 bottles of wine as well.................... rolleyes.gif

That is the least of the problem....we'll just make sure we drink them all! biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.