Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Happybuddha's Guppy Tub Setup
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
HappyBuddha
One Guppy-brand Tub:

External Dimension 42 in x 29 in x 12 in
Internal Dimension 39 in x 27 in x 12 in
Total Volume (up to overflow hole at 9 inch) = 155 litres (42 gallons)

Two Guppy-brand Sponge filters.

Ga ga, 6 fishies... sad.gif

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
Whyyyy...

Very covenant looking hor. mad.gif
Seacucumber
bag.gif

laugh.gif
mountain
how come its ...........

laugh.gif
jowy_ham
Hi Bro HB, how much U spend on the abv setup ? and where U bought all the equipment ?

I went to "Covenant" saw they selling tub + filter + fish + food @ $100, U think worth it and is ur tub of that size or much larger ?

QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 06 Apr 2004 08:13 AM)
Ga ga, 6 fishies...

How big is ur GFs ?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(jowy_ham @ Tue 06 Apr 2004 10:25 AM)
Hi Bro HB, how much U spend on the abv setup ? and where U bought all the equipment ?

I went to "Covenant" saw they selling tub + filter + fish + food @ $100, U think worth it and is ur tub of that size or much larger ?

How big is ur GFs ?

The tub retails between $36 to $50 depending on which LFS you go to. lobangs

Each sponge filter costs $4 to $12 (I bought mine for $4 at TPY69 middle shop)... lobang

The airpump ... erm... prices and capacities vary greatly.

Hypo, $5 per KG.

Baking Soda... lobang

Fish... priceless. rolleyes.gif

Stupid Aluminium Casing for sponge filter, $4.50(?) at IKEA.

So total excluding fishes... $36 + ($4x2) + $12 + $5 + $2 + 9 = $3,642.12 biggrin.gif
Seacucumber
buddha....your maths sucks...
biggrin.gif

your aluminium casing sure look stupid...
wats that for anyway??
kekekekeke....
jowy_ham
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 06 Apr 2004 08:13 AM)
The tub retails between $36 to $50 depending on which LFS you go to.

Each sponge filter costs $4 to $12 (I bought mine for $4 at TPY69 middle shop)...

The airpump ... erm... prices and capacities vary greatly.

Hypo, $5 per KG.

Baking Soda... lobang

Fish... priceless. 

Stupid Aluminium Casing for sponge filter, $4.50(?) at IKEA.

So total excluding fishes... $36 + ($4x2) + $12 + $5 + $2 + 9 = $3,642.12

How come the TPY shop only charge U $4, I went recently, abt 1-2 weeks back, it was $4.3 for each sponge filter, no fair mad.gif

Wat is Hypo ?
square_guy
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Tue 06 Apr 2004 11:08 AM)

Hypo, $5 per KG.

where u got hypo at $5/kg?
Seacucumber
simi si hypo?? unsure.gif
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(g-string @ Tue 06 Apr 2004 05:54 PM)
buddha....your maths sucks...
biggrin.gif

your aluminium casing sure look stupid...
wats that for anyway??
kekekekeke....

Kekeke. Whenever I pull the sponge filter out to clean it, I can find a thick layer of decomposed debris inside the basket. So in a sense, the basket works as mechanical filtration.

It also stops the fishies from nipping at the sponge.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(square_guy @ Tue 06 Apr 2004 10:10 PM)
where u got hypo at $5/kg?

I know they sell it at $5/KG but I have never bought from them...

"菲菲"
Fee Fee House Of Photograhics (S) Pte Ltd
Blk 531 Up Cross St #01-02 Hong Lim Complex
Tel : 6535 4429

Ask for "大苏打“ if they don't know what is hypo.
square_guy
thanks. u wanna put this in the faq?
jhansolo
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Wed 07 Apr 2004 05:44 AM)
I know they sell it at $5/KG but I have never bought from them...

"菲菲"
Fee Fee House Of Photograhics (S) Pte Ltd                 
Blk 531 Up Cross St #01-02 Hong Lim Complex
Tel : 6535 4429

Ask for "大苏打“ if they don't know what is hypo.

If they still don't know tell them is the fixer in crystal form for photographs.

HB you are champion to find this source good.gif

To my knowledge since 1980, this item has been a controlled item and been slap on the label as poison.

Please handle with care and definitely keep away from children.

peace.gif
HappyBuddha
Poison? ohmy.gif

Ah! Better stock up leow!
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(square_guy @ Wed 07 Apr 2004 09:09 AM)
thanks. u wanna put this in the faq?

Thanks for the suggestion but according to a recent poll, not many people are using hypo so I think it's not necessary to post it in the FAQ... sad.gif
CyberET
$4/500grams

ex ah
Jos Nana
Buddah,

Plug the overflow hole, increase the water height to 11". More volume , better for the fishes. Higher ht also improves surface agitation - better aeration.
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(Jos Nana @ Thu 08 Apr 2004 01:38 AM)
Buddah,

Plug the overflow hole, increase the water height to 11". More volume , better for the fishes. Higher ht also improves surface agitation - better aeration.

Thanks jos. I will seal the discharge hole and raise the water level once I found the plastic plug. I'm keeping demekins in this tub so I believe water level need not be low for them. I overlooked the fact higher water level improved surface agitation too.
HappyBuddha
A note about air pump.

I own 6 air pumps of various sizes... all except one are made by Resun. I've never been happy with them as their performance would degrade after a month or two....

A few weeks ago when I saw a pic of bro desireless' "SHIRUBA" air pump powering 8 tanks at the low speed setting I was amazed. A quick PM to him I found out he has been using the pump for 6 months and the output is still as strong as ever.

http://www.RafflesGold.com/forums/index.ph...findpost&p=7143

IPB Image

So I ask him to buy one for me. I'm shocked the first time I plugged it in. The output is at least 3-4 times as strong as my old pump! I have to split the output from one outlet into two for my tub's setup or there will be waves!

Highly recommended pump - Shiruba SP-107SW. It's a bloody old design probably dating from the early 70s but a good design is timeless.
mountain
how many watt issit??
Jos Nana
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 08 Apr 2004 07:00 AM)
Thanks jos.  I will seal the discharge hole and raise the water level once I found the plastic plug.  I'm keeping demekins in this tub so I believe water level need not be low for them.  I overlooked the fact higher water level improved surface agitation too.

When you buy the tub, didn't they give you 2 plugs, 1 with holes, 1 without ?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(mountain @ Thu 08 Apr 2004 09:03 AM)
how many watt issit??

I looked everywhere but the power consumption figure is not stated. sad.gif

I also noticed the country of manufacture is not stated too although somehow I have the impression it's made in Japan. ohmy.gif Nevermind... it's still the most impressive air pump I have.

Seen here set at Medium speed with one air outlet split into two to power two sponge filters ...

IPB Image
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(Jos Nana @ Thu 08 Apr 2004 10:26 AM)
When you buy the tub,  didn't they give you 2 plugs, 1 with holes, 1 without ?

Oh yes, I did make sure the two plugs are included. I've never used the one without any holes and hope the plug is water tight. biggrin.gif

Raising the water level from 9 to 11 inches increased the total water volume to a massive 190 litres.

Cool.
mountain
drool.gif sibei cool man .. i also wan a tub :-( too bad i only got the red one my mother-in-law gave me .. maybe can buy one put beside my main tank, but i scare i will fall into it.
domho7
WOW!!! The pump damn powerderful, my super Beetle 12000 also cant handle such force, somemore at low speed.

Ok tonight i go Darwin hoot 1 liao. HB, Looking at your tub, makes me itchy liao.
Must do it before Empress comes my place to inspect. SONG AH!!! smile.gif
desireless
QUOTE(domho7 @ Thu 08 Apr 2004 01:43 PM)
HB, Looking at your tub, makes me itchy liao.
Must do it before Empress comes my place to inspect. SONG AH!!! smile.gif

Wah Dom... don't think you're holding on to "尚方宝剑" (wallet) then can "先斩后奏"...

Later the empress confiscates the "尚方宝剑" from you how?? laugh.gif
desireless
QUOTE(HappyBuddha @ Thu 08 Apr 2004 08:19 AM)
So I ask him to buy one for me.  I'm shocked the first time I plugged it in.  The output is at least 3-4 times as strong as my old pump!  I have to split the output from one outlet into two for my tub's setup or there will be waves!

Highly recommended pump - Shiruba SP-107SW.  It's a bloody old design probably dating from the early 70s but a good design is timeless.

I remembered the first time I bought it, the shop owner told me... this is "最好的!!" So I bought it... forgot to look at how much it was tongue.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(domho7 @ Thu 08 Apr 2004 01:43 PM)
Ok tonight i go Darwin hoot 1 liao. HB, Looking at your tub, makes me itchy liao.

By the way Dom, just came back from Darwin just now during lunch break. The lionhead pellet is $6.90 for Big packet, still got about 5 packets. Forgot to check if they have Chroma there.

This brand SHIRUBA is definitely not made in Japan. The country of manufacture is unknown, I had a look at it just now, it said design in Japan. I suspect it should be Taiwan.

Looking at the pix, solid pump, only half the price of my Rena 200.
domho7
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu 08 Apr 2004 05:26 PM)
By the way Dom, just came back from Darwin just now during lunch break.  The lionhead pellet is $6.90 for Big packet, still got about 5 packets.  Forgot to check if they have Chroma there.

This brand SHIRUBA is definitely not made in Japan.  The country of manufacture is unknown, I had a look at it just now, it said design in Japan.  I suspect it should be Taiwan.

Looking at the pix, solid pump, only half the price of my Rena 200.

Was about to set out to Darwin, when empress made sudden spot check.
Damn suay ah, dont wish to explain further. I almost kena QT by her, but thru some persuasion I got myself out of trouble.

Ok tomo than whack Darwin. smile.gif
desireless
See lah... Think boh cheng hu rite?

Better hide your "尚方宝剑". Best hide in safe with 3-tier numbering system.
domho7
Was at Darwin, Hikari Lionhead pellets going for S$6.9 (still got plenty)
Shiruba pump (the one in the pic) S$15
Jebao cannister filter (largest) S$58
Seachem ammonia alert S$9
2ft tank S$8
Interpet medication S$6
desireless
Shiruba only $15!!
Wah lau... I kena tio tok $4.

I think you can be our Sales Agent for "Darwin purchase" liao laugh.gif
Seacucumber
WHERE'S DARWIN???
domho7
QUOTE(g-string @ Fri 09 Apr 2004 09:18 PM)
WHERE'S DARWIN???

Bedok North Blk 84, if u know where's the famous Bak Cho Mee, its just round the corner only.
Open everyday type. Go there hoot accessories than hoot the noodles. SONG AH good_very.gif

Travel by bus, go Bedok Interchange take 222, 4 stops alight and u're there.
desireless
Here's Darwin

Buddha has it in his LOBANG thread in Buy/Sell Forum
mountain
blink.gif
2ft tank S$8
blink.gif

like tat also can ah??
lgoh
Hi Bro HB, good_very.gif
how many different guppy-brand tub size avaliable in the marker?
e.g. small (?x?x?x), me peace.gif peace.gif dian (?x?x?), large (?x?x?).
Is this make in plastic or fiberglass?
make in SG?
Regards
L.G. peace.gif
jhansolo
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Wed 07 Apr 2004 11:32 AM)
If they still don't know tell them is the fixer in crystal form for photographs.

HB you are champion to find this source  good.gif

To my knowledge since 1980, this item has been a controlled item and been slap on the label as poison.

Please handle with care and definitely keep away from children.

peace.gif

AS requested by HB here's where I read about Hypo OD poisoning.

Fish Love Issue No 8

In Page 45 the article is featuring the art of preparing water

in point 2 to use chemical reaction to remove chlorine

It is in red ... translated into english

Be warn that Hypo at high temperature is chemcially volatile / unstable which can results in undesirable water parameters resulting in fish lost. Always observe the fish when introducing the chemical to prevent poisoning.
Allan
QUOTE(lgoh @ Thu 06 May 2004 04:08 AM)
Hi Bro HB,  good_very.gif 
how many different guppy-brand tub size avaliable in the marker?
e.g. small (?x?x?x), me peace.gif  peace.gif dian (?x?x?), large (?x?x?).
Is this make in plastic or fiberglass?
make in SG?
Regards
L.G. peace.gif

HB is not in town so I'll reply on his behalf.

As far as I know there are two sizes made by Guppy. The small one, which is by far the most popular is 3 1/2 ft by 2 1/2 ft wide with a max depth of 1 foot. Then there's a large one that is 5 ft x 3 1/2 wide. I'm not sure how deep though. They are made of plastic and a Malaysian product. They are available in blue or black. Many LFS are begining to sell similar plastic tubs in blue but smaller in size than the small Guppy tub. They lack an overflow hole so may not be ideal for outdoor use and if I'm not wrong is expensive compared to the Guppy brand.
Allan
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu 06 May 2004 09:16 AM)
Be warn that Hypo at high temperature is chemcially volatile / unstable which can results in undesirable water parameters resulting in fish lost.  Always observe the fish when introducing the chemical to prevent poisoning.

I've been using hypo for a many many months and have not experience any fish death. Does anyone know how high the high temperature is that the author talks about? It can't be boiling hot. And even a small swimming pool's water temperature remains cool when exposed under the hot sun. So how could we subject our fish to high water temperature and risk hypo poisoning?

Furthermore, most if not all anti-chlorine products in the market use sodium thiosulphate as the raw basic ingredient. If "high" water temperature has an effect on hypo, liquid anti-chlorine will not be spared either.
jhansolo
That's the thing with these features that don't tell you why and how just the raw "truth".

As for the other Aqua+ type of products, I believe the other elements counteract the effect ... or at least I like to think as that. One hint to lead me to draw this self deceiving conclusion is Aqua+ recommend as long as OD is not more than 50 should be safe.

wink.gif
square_guy
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu 06 May 2004 09:50 AM)
That's the thing with these features that don't tell you why and how just the raw "truth".

As for the other Aqua+ type of products, I believe the other elements counteract the effect ... or at least I like to think as that.  One hint to lead me to draw this self deceiving conclusion is Aqua+ recommend as long as OD is not more than 50 should be safe.

wink.gif

hypo = sodium hypochloride.

any chemist around here knows what will happen at elevated temp?

I don't think there will be any components in any branded anti-chlorine which can counteract the effect of high temp on hypo. Sounds improbable and most hobbyist probably would use the product at high temp too.

I believe the guppy tubs come in 3 sizes. 3ft, 4ft and 5ft. Just a rough gauge, actual dimension differs.

3ftx2ftx1ft
4ft?
5ft?
YLD
QUOTE(square_guy @ Thu 06 May 2004 10:01 AM)

I believe the guppy tubs come in 3 sizes. 3ft, 4ft and 5ft. Just a rough gauge, actual dimension differs.

Any lobang for customised blue tub?
jhansolo
QUOTE(square_guy @ Thu 06 May 2004 10:01 AM)
hypo = sodium hypochloride.

I believe Hypo is sodium thiosulphate as sodium hypochlorite I think is a form of chlorine that you add into your swimming pool.

As for lobang, go to Buy & Sell Lobang lah
square_guy
QUOTE(jhansolo @ Thu 06 May 2004 02:38 PM)
I believe Hypo is sodium thiosulphate as sodium hypochlorite I think is a form of chlorine that you add into your swimming pool.

As for lobang, go to Buy & Sell Lobang lah

eeks u r rite. wat am i talking abt... tongue.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.