Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Feeding Frozen Blood Worms To Goldfish Questions.
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Fancy Goldfish
32Bit_Fish
I have one 6" ranchu and two 3" ranchu babies in my 40g tank. Would it be too much feeding if I give them 3 cubes of frozen bloodworms each time (at least twice a day) with pellets feedings as well?

I have been feeding them one cube of frozen brineshrimp and one cube of frozen bloodworms once or twice a day and I haven't seen any improvement on WEN growth. I do 80% w/c twice a week, sometimes once every two days.

Should I increase amount of frozen bloodworm feedings in order to see the wen growth? Would overfeeding with frozen bloodworm cause SBD?
goldrush
Your feeding regime does not seem too excessive.However I must add that feeding FBW has its risk and may not enhance its wen if the bloodline of the fish is found wanting in its headgrowth.Any idea of fish source and its parentage would help but LFS has to be honest in its revelation wink.gif
32Bit_Fish
QUOTE(goldrush @ Wed, 30 Sep 2009 8:27 pm) *

Your feeding regime does not seem too excessive.However I must add that feeding FBW has its risk and may not enhance its wen if the bloodline of the fish is found wanting in its headgrowth.Any idea of fish source and its parentage would help but LFS has to be honest in its revelation wink.gif

I bought my goldfish from my LFS and they import all their goldfish from China. So I have the Chinese Ranchus (not Thai or Japanese). The ranchu had a nice wen growth when I first bought them, both eyes were almost covered by his/her wen. The wen growth stopped and it started disappearing a few weeks after being in my tank. Be honest, I wasn't sure what are the right food should I feeding them.

Anyway I discover that my large ranchu may have digestion issue when I noticed some of the blooldworms were floating around in the tank after a feeding. The bloodworms were still retain its body shape, however they are in whiteish/cream color, they were clearly from fish's stomach. I think the fish thrown up the food and vomitted after a feeding. I guess I overfed them.

I feed them 2 cubes of frozen bloodworm and 1 frozen brineshrimp in the morning before I go to work. During my absence, I have set up a auto fish food feeder that would feed the fish 6 times with very small amount of Saki and lionhead pellets. Two hours interval between each feeding. After I got home from work, I feed them 2 cubes of bloodworms and 1 cube of brineshrimp. Two hours later, I feed them one more time of 2 cubes of bloodworm and some pellets. The big ranchu took most of the food and vomitted during the night. Hence I find the tank is in a mass with lots of undigested bloodworms floating around in the tank.

goldrush
May I know your set up.Wen shrinkage tells us about something wrong with the water parameters.check for ammonia ,nitrites and in particular nitrates.Uneaten food can cause major shift in the values of your parameters.Your filter(if any )is unable to cope with the nitrogenous wastes produce,so you might have to work something out from there.
32Bit_Fish
QUOTE(goldrush @ Thu, 01 Oct 2009 10:21 am) *

May I know your set up.Wen shrinkage tells us about something wrong with the water parameters.check for ammonia ,nitrites and in particular nitrates.Uneaten food can cause major shift in the values of your parameters.Your filter(if any )is unable to cope with the nitrogenous wastes produce,so you might have to work something out from there.

I had a bad start of this hobby when I overstocked my tank (I had 6 large ranchus in my 40g). The tank had parasite and fluke issues. I lost most of the large ranchus due to some parasite outbreak or fluke. So the fish had been through a lot until recently the tank stock ratio is back to normal and with a lot more w/cs.

So I am anticipating a big improvement of wen growth. The two 3" inches ranchus were added to the tank recently after quarantine. At this point, all of three ranchus are looking healthy and growing. Probably patience plays an important role here.

I use AquaClear 7 or 11 (I'm not sure its model number, but it is the second largest model inline). This is the only filtration on the tank right now. I am assuming filtration system isn't that important since I have been doing massive w/c very often.

The tank is completely cycled and nitrate level has been around 10 PPM before every water change.
lkt344
wow thats seems to be alot of feeding...i hv five 3inch ranchu in a 50 gallon tank and i feed it once a day with pellets and two times a week with frozen bloodworms ..1 cube only.. once a week i give them some peas as greens.

am i underfeeding ?
they seems fat to me hehe?
dont like to do too much water change..once a week
eheim filtration.

bekko
Most problems start with over-feeding. Feed modestly and have patience.

-steve
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.