Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Setup - Sushiman
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
sushiman
peace.gif Halo all bros here,me newbie to goldfish.Kindly gv ur comments pls.
Good or bad r welcome.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
mountain
i like your fish, but unfortunately if u are asking for comments about your setup, i am going to say u are getting it wrong. your fish are fairly big, One of the pic's has 5 ranchus in a tank., there is not enough water volume to go along with it. It is going to overload your bio-filtration unless you are changing water every frequently.
Seacucumber
sushi,
overcrowded liao....
3 fish per tank at the most....
and also get rid of the powerhead filter at the corner and replace with a sponge filter instead.....
RBT
sushi,when pics taken ? date on photo 1.1.2003??(new camera issit leh!!)
HappyBuddha
I love the Ranchu tanks!

Could 3-tiers be possible?

Yeah, drop the powered filter - it can't house as much BB as a sponge and generates way too much current for goldfish.
ah boy
Hi

Like you set-up!!! You fishes looks good too...

I have a similar set-up.....top tier is 4x2x1ft(for side view) and bottom 3x2x1ft(for top view fishes)...both running on canister filters...plan to have 8 and 5 fishes for the top & bottom tank respectively...

You may want to try using Canister filters.....have bigger capacity for beneficial bacteria(BB) growth!!...use good medias like eheim ehfi-substrate, bioglass, biohome, etc!!! Jus IMHO!!!

The powerhead could be a bit too strong...and not good enough of BB growth.

Regards
Wai Yip
Seacucumber
wai yip,
canister filter is not advisable....
many bros here including myself have totally give up on them liao.......

cleaning and maintainence of canister filter is a pain in the ass
Jos Nana
QUOTE(ah boy @ Mon 12 Apr 2004 12:02 PM)
Hi

Like you set-up!!! You fishes looks good too...

I have a similar set-up.....top tier is 4x2x1ft(for side view) and bottom 3x2x1ft(for top view fishes)...both running on canister filters...plan to have 8 and 5 fishes for the top & bottom tank respectively...

You may want to try using Canister filters.....have bigger capacity for beneficial bacteria(BB) growth!!...use good medias like eheim ehfi-substrate, bioglass, biohome, etc!!! Jus IMHO!!!

The powerhead could be a bit too strong...and not good enough of BB growth.

Regards
Wai Yip

Suggest you read up the whole forum first.

Cannister is history to a lot of us here.
Absolute Ranchu
I use the sponge filter like the one if the pictures for all my ponds at home. It requires that you have to ciphon the solid waste and big pieces of dirt and get rid of the protein that often floats on the top of the water (skim the protein away), on top of the regular chores of work. It is a bit time consuming but the sponge is excellent at picking up small dust particles in the ponds and keep the water relatively clear. (I use them in large ponds and also in all three of my aquariums for my Lau Hans, too.) Without the additional work, you will cause the sponge to be a big source of bacteria producers, and the more algae you have on the sponge, the less effective the sponge will get. You will also have to adjust the air that goes through the sponge filter and make sure that the air is not on too high. (The sponge is meant for you to have air going through them slowly for best result.) I also dry the sponge once a week in sunlight, this will take care of all the algae, and bacteria that grows on the sponge. Using the sponge filter (with proper maintenace) is ideal for reducing the problems that you may faced with fish gill's problems. Water that contains a lot of dirty small dust particle may leads to gill problems in goldfish, particularly ranchus. (If your fish die, check the gill, if the color is faded white, that's what a gill problem is like.)

Water condition is the most important thing that can help promote the right growth pattern for goldfish. There are no magic systems that you can use that will allow you not to have to do too much work or clean the system at least once or twice a week. I clean my pond twice a days at least and that's what keep the pond cleans and the fish healthy, not what I use in the pond. Even if you have a great system, but you are lazy about cleaning, your fish will get sick and your water will get soil. No systems can replace hard work.

Every one knows what is good for goldfish, such as clean environment to live in everyday. The things about keeping good fish is that you can never become lazy. Works never stop. The best keepers are the one that put in the work every day without fail, not the one that use the best system. You can just have a pond, small pump, diffuser and nothing else, but if you work hard you will be able to promote the right growth pattern, towards keeping and developing the best fish.

I have tried using every systems that are available in the market, and nothing beats the hard work that you can do hands on. It cost the least as well.
square_guy
Pat, I know you follow the thai way of keeping fish (ie continuous water change, daily siphoning of waste, clear water). This is just to add balance to the discussion.

There are also quite a number of hobbyist in Singapore and on this forum who utilize green water. In fact I believe the majority of us are in fact using (or converting/try to learn etc smile.gif ) green water. There are marked difference between the 2 methods, and I shall not (not qualified to anyway) comments on the merits/demerits of both.
Absolute Ranchu
I also use green water in my ponds and some of my aquariums. Using green water does not mean that you have no work to do. There are more bacterias and harmful elements more than in regular Japanese systems (not Thai) of keeping goldfish. You have to either add good bacteria or clean the surface often. I also have a three ton pond (outside with roof) that I use for my ranchu. The pond is 7 meters long and about 2 meters wide. It is a very big green water system. Even with such a big green water system, I still have to do a lot of work to upkeep the pond. Doing no choirs is a sure way to make my fish sick. This is from about 10 years of experience of keeping ranchus in different enviroment. I have personally tried every systems that are available in the market, already. And I mean everything.

My experience is from practices not from text books. I also use green water in my aquarium (smaller sytem, 7feet long tank) for my cicchlids, but it also require a lot of work too. I hope that my experience will be valuable to some. cheers.

Pat
caster
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Tue 13 Apr 2004 10:56 AM)
I also use green water in my ponds and some of my aquariums. Using green water does not mean that you have no work to do.  There are more bacterias and harmful elements more than in regular Japanese systems (not Thai) of keeping goldfish. You have to either add good bacteria or clean the surface often.  I also have a three ton pond (outside with roof) that I use for my ranchu. The pond is 7 meters long and about 2 meters wide. It is a very big green water system. Even with such a big green water system, I still have to do a lot of work to upkeep the pond.  Doing no choirs is a sure way to make my fish sick.  This is from about 10 years of experience of keeping ranchus in different enviroment.  I have personally tried every systems that are available in the market, already.  And I mean everything.

My experience is from practices not from text books. I also use green water in my aquarium (smaller sytem, 7feet long tank) for my cicchlids, but it also require a lot of work too. I hope that my experience will be valuable to some. cheers.

Pat

Hi

The discussion is getting interesting...I am one of those who are interested in starting green water and have heard lots of good things abt it...

Currently, I am practising 80% water change 3~4 days... with daily addition of water (2 big pail). with filtration system.

I discover that with a lot of hard work and very regular water change, I am able to increase the intensity of my number of fish per gallon and my fish grow well. I am able to get good coloration and growth rate, I do get 4~5 hrs of sun a day. However, I am unable to compare to green water because I am have not tried that before.

Could u comment on your personal preference between the Thai way & Jap way ?
square_guy
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Tue 13 Apr 2004 10:56 AM)
There are more bacterias and harmful elements more than in regular Japanese systems (not Thai) of keeping goldfish. You have to either add good bacteria or clean the surface often.  I also have a three ton pond (outside with roof) that I use for my ranchu. The pond is 7 meters long and about 2 meters wide. It is a very big green water system. Even with such a big green water system, I still have to do a lot of work to upkeep the pond.  Doing no choirs is a sure way to make my fish sick.

What do you mean that there are more bacterias and harmful elements in a green water environment than a regular Japanese system? Could you share with us about the japanese system?

What good bacteria do you have to add to the green water?

I do not have a pond and thus could not comment on the work required. In an indoor 3ft tub green watersetup, weekly cleaning of the tub is beneficial generally. Weekly water change is also good in general. But that is about the amount of work required. How much work do you mean when you said you have to do a lot of work?

For pond, you may like to take a look at this website
GreenNGold SG
They seem to have quite a number of ponds, and they are just hobbyists! smile.gif
CyberET
now i know y thai fishes r more expensive than chinese fishes peace.gif
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(square_guy @ Tue 13 Apr 2004 12:19 PM)
What do you mean that there are more bacterias and harmful elements in a green water environment than a regular Japanese system? Could you share with us about the japanese system?

What good bacteria do you have to add to the green water?

I do not have a pond and thus could not comment on the work required. In an indoor 3ft tub green watersetup, weekly cleaning of the tub is beneficial generally. Weekly water change is also good in general. But that is about the amount of work required. How much work do you mean when you said you have to do a lot of work?

For pond, you may like to take a look at this website
GreenNGold SG
They seem to have quite a number of ponds, and they are just hobbyists!  smile.gif

In Japanese system, new water will continue to be ciphoning in on the around the clock basis. Most of the fish will be raised in systems that new water will be added at interval through out the day, no additive, just clean, clear and cold water. (Most of the serious farm in Japan will be located next to great natural spring water since pipe water in Japan is more expensive than beer.) Most of the professional keepers find that using green water posed enough risk that they do not want to use with their championship fish. It is easier to put in the work and keep the fish in clear water. Championship fish is not only extremely expensive, but they are more about pride than anything else. They are rare and they are like jewels for serious fish keepers in Japan. Once the fish is at the adult stage, then you can move the fish back to green water condition since they will be full grown and their immune system will be at their peak. A short period in green water condition will improve the fish scales and color condition a great deal.

You have to add good bacterial in closed systems. These bacteria are the same kind used in most koi pond. There are good and bad bacteria in the green water system (naturally). If you do not put in good bacterial, your system could become a biogical experiment that is harmful to your fish. What kind of germs that will effect fish in green water system, they are usually the most common one in your neighbourhood.

The good bacteria will help to reduce the amount of algae and keep the water clean and clear, and get rid of bad germs that cause conditions like tail and fin rotts. The bacteria will also help to get rid of the bad elements in the water (from fish, wastes, protein secreted, or ammonia wastes). In Thailand, there are many brands and different application forms from different country products available. There are pills from Japan and USA and Europe and many more. There are also already mixed liquid germs available in the market, as well. They are made in Thailand, though. I am currently using the Microzyme BioPond-Clears Water in Pond (Micro Enzyme with Biogical Bacteria) made by White Crane Aqua Product in Thailand. It comes an easy to use pellet. One pellet per one ton of water. You can break it up and use it in aqua tanks, as well.

I asked an Aqua Scientist at the University of Agriculture of Thailand (next to the airport in BKK) and he said that you should use the bacteria that are cultured locally, which means that the domestic brands are usually the best. You can try them and report back how it is. Koi keepers are usually the best green water keepers around. If you know some around town, it is really helpful to sit down with them and try to pick their brains. They have a lot of experience with really large system, and we just have to miniaturize the system to fit our needs.

Green system means that you utilize "old water"(water in closed system that has been cleaned over and over with usually biological filtration system, the water will contain a lot of algae, vitamins, and minerals that are excellent for fish growth). This is an excellent way of promoting the best growth out of your fish (same for koi and goldfish alike). It usually requires a large endowment of resources at the beginning but in the long term it is the best system to keep fish (required professional pond constructor, the size of the filtration system, and the amount of water in the pond is most crucial and must be right or else it will never work).

The fish raised in this sort of system also requires the least amount of maintainance chores. You have to clean the top water regularly and cleaned the filtration system from time to time. This is possible with the help of bacteria. Using old water doesn't mean that you do not add water, on the contrary, you have to keep adding new water everyday. This is the best way to simulate the changes of temperature in real natural habitat. When you add new water to system the fish will automatically gain additional appetite which will add to the growth rate.

This is my comments, and I hope that it is helpful.

When I talk about a lot of work, I mean that I fuss around the fish quite a lot around the clock (daytime). I first wake up at 6 clear the top of the water on the pond and tanks. I ciphon all the visible waste manually then add new water so that the pond and tank overflow. I feed the first time at 6.30 am, then I wait a while and take care of the waste and clean the top water some more. (If I do not do it, I have staffs to it on my behalf. That makes it much easier.) Then I leave them alone until 3 hours later, and I do it all over again. We feed the fish four times a day, and we do the chores five times a day(one more before closing the pond and tank for the night). That's what I mean by a lot of work.

I also watch the fish before I feed each meal, while they feed and after they feed to see their reactions and how they are. You can tell a lot how a fish is by just looking at them. YOu can tell when they have enough food and when to stop. You have to notice the bulge of their stomach carefully, by looking at the fish every day then you will be able to tell. this may sounds funny to some people. Some people(including my wife) think that I am a slave to my fish. But I just can't stop myself, what can I say. I like doing it. The reason is that I have been able to breed and grow really nice fish because of it. This is what I mean by doing by experience, not from a book.

I love to help and I like to share my experiece. This is not because I want to be a big shot or something, but because it will be better for the fish. If you like your fish, try what I recommend. If you find that it does not work for you, I would love to hear about it, so may be I can improve my techniques. It is all about sharing, right. The best things for our fish.

I bid you peace on this auspicious day of the Thai New Year. Happy New Year to all Members and may your year be filled with prosperity for you, your families, and your fish.

Sawasdee krap

Pat
CyberET
my, thats alot of work
i try to keep my fish keeping hobby as simple as possible
so after the initial quarantine (most important stage)
they r left in outdoor tubs with low stocking levels (1fish per 100litres)
water change is done roughly once every 7-10 days
seeding back 10% each time
checks on fish condition is done during water change
they fed by auto feeders which i refill during water change as well, 3 times a day, 2hrs interval in the morning

experiencing not bad results to me, ie 1cm growth a week, color intensing up, and fish bulking up, features development.. however due to space limitation, my fishes growth rate halts at 7inch (in a 400litres tub) unless i shift them to an even larger tub smile.gif
mountain
Pat, i like reading your posts. I am relatively new to goldfish rearing (coming close to a year) and i am say.. i find your postings exciting, partly becaz you are a "goldfish farmer". happydance1.gif You are right, its about sharing of experiences, I might not have a champion fish and will never own 1 but I gotta do the right things if i want to keep a fish. And this forum is the place to be. Keep it coming Pat.

oh yei.. its the new year in Thailand. Happy Thai New Year to you Pat :cheers1
chanB
Pat,

Thanks for the detail info. on farm operation, I'm always curious about how Fish farms are run. good_very.gif keep it coming. BTW any pic. of your farm?

Chan
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(mountain @ Tue 13 Apr 2004 05:04 PM)
Pat, i like reading your posts.  I am relatively new to goldfish rearing (coming close to a year) and i am say.. i find your postings exciting, partly becaz you are a "goldfish farmer".  happydance1.gif You are right, its about sharing of experiences, I might not have a champion fish and will never own 1 but I gotta do the right things if i want to keep a fish. And this forum is the place to be. Keep it coming Pat.

oh yei.. its the new year in Thailand.  Happy Thai New Year to you Pat  :cheers1

Hear hear!
square_guy
Happy New Year smile.gif

Thank you for your insights. You have put in great effort into your fishes, which unfortunately will be quite impossible for us local hobbyists. I myself could only concentrate my effort on weekly change of my green water tub.

Why is there a need to add in bacteria to the green water? Are these bacteria nitrifying bacteria culture?

What are the risks associated with green water?

I am not sure about your area, but over here in Singapore koi owner don't seems to like green water at all. On a Malaysian website that I have been to (www.koi.com.my), they are also more concerned about getting rid of green water. So you can see that information on green water is actually quite rare.
desireless
Probably, it is back to the question of

"Seeing your nice prized fishes" vs "For the benefit of your fishes"

If covered by green water, how are their proud owner going to show off their thousand plus dollars fishes to their friends/customers?
HappyBuddha
QUOTE(desireless @ Tue 13 Apr 2004 06:26 PM)
Probably, it is back to the question of

"Seeing your nice prized fishes"  vs  "For the benefit of your fishes"

If covered by green water, how are their proud owner going to show off their thousand plus dollars fishes to their friends/customers?

There's always the option to rotate your fishes in green water tub/pond and a display tank with clear water.

Nevertheless, owners will inspect and enjoy their prized fish at least once a week when they change water... which usually happens during weekend where friends may pop by to drool. So on normal days... the fishes are left alone to groom themselves with little disturbence/stress.

wink.gif
chanB
HB,

you idea is good, no point keeping solid ranchu when you cannot see them in clear water ever once awhile.
sushiman
Yo,thanks all the bros for all the precious comments. tongue.gif I have removed the power head filter.Currently using 2 sponge filters for each tanks holding 4 GFs.Should be
allright.Will monitor for a week.Thanks.
mountain
Hi, do take note that sponge (heavily recommended but not subsidized by this forum wink.gif ) needs to be maintained as well. remember to rotate your sponge to be cleaned. during water change, take care not to kill all the BBon the sponges.
cheers and enjoy the hobby
CyberET
rotate to wash the sponge once a month in a pail of old tank water wink.gif
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(mountain @ Tue 13 Apr 2004 05:04 PM)
Pat, i like reading your posts.  I am relatively new to goldfish rearing (coming close to a year) and i am say.. i find your postings exciting, partly becaz you are a "goldfish farmer".  happydance1.gif You are right, its about sharing of experiences, I might not have a champion fish and will never own 1 but I gotta do the right things if i want to keep a fish. And this forum is the place to be. Keep it coming Pat.

oh yei.. its the new year in Thailand.  Happy Thai New Year to you Pat  :cheers1

I have posted a few in the Yahoo Group Photoshop. I have to admit that I do not know how to use photoshop to reduce the picture. If you like to see some pictures (do not worry about buying fish) of the farm, just drop me a mail and I will send you a bunch of pictures from time to time. I am like all of you here, I really enjoy the fish, and talking to people with the same fish blood running through our veins. Hee, Hee.

I love to show the pictures of the farm, cause I have tried to use my best judgement as a hobbyist and try to work on building the farm from there. They say you have to keep the customer at the heart of your operation, right.

Any how, just drop me a line and I'll send you some pics. Cheers
CyberET
i believe HB doesn't mine to spare a few KBs, do post pictures, it'll be interesting to see lots of fish pictures, and your setup smile.gif
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(square_guy @ Tue 13 Apr 2004 06:14 PM)
Happy New Year smile.gif

Thank you for your insights. You have put in great effort into your fishes, which unfortunately will be quite impossible for us local hobbyists. I myself could only concentrate my effort on weekly change of my green water tub.

Why is there a need to add in bacteria to the green water? Are these bacteria nitrifying bacteria culture?

What are the risks associated with green water?

I am not sure about your area, but over here in Singapore koi owner don't seems to like green water at all. On a Malaysian website that I have been to (www.koi.com.my), they are also more concerned about getting rid of green water. So you can see that information on green water is actually quite rare.

In most closed system, it is one form or another a green water system. The pond or tank that are in direct sunlight is also a green water system. Most of the koi keeper will use the vortex system (real expensive but most effective with all size of waste particles) but they will hardly do anything inside the pond.

Green water generates lots of bacteria, good and bad. I find that when the water starts to have too much bacteria, something bad always happen. Fin rot, stomach problem, lost of appetite, and colors for example. The system needs to be very complete when it comes to recycling the water, if the filtration system is not big enough for the pond (false of most amateur pond builders and tank keepers who build or buy the tank themselves without consulting any professional) the system becomes a breeding ground for bacteria, and that can only lead to trouble. If your set up is right on, then maintainance is very limited. This is the biggest risk I associate with green water system. The good bacteria that I added in the pond does nothing negative to the fish. They do not even use oxygen so you can be completely sure. Bacterial also helps reduce the risk in association with the "I Am Lazy Today Syndrome".

Thank you very much for all your kind words, especially the title of goldfish farmer. That made me feel very proud to be called that. We have worked very hard to be a good example for the other goldfish farmers in the market here to make them embrace the idea and pride in breeding quality fish rather than the amount of money they can make from breeding fish.

Ranchu has always been a closed tradition for the elite of society since it's conception in China and Japan. I believe that in the new age of globalization, the only sure way to glorify our beloved fish is to share the fish and the knowledge with the whole world. And when we all become experience fish keeper, there will be beautiful fish every where. That's not at all bad.

Sawasdee krap
caster
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Thu 15 Apr 2004 05:39 PM)
I have posted a few in the Yahoo Group Photoshop.  I have to admit that I do not know how to use photoshop to reduce the picture.  If you like to see some pictures (do not worry about buying fish) of the farm, just drop me a mail and I will send you a bunch of pictures from time to time.  I am like all of you here, I really enjoy the fish, and talking to people with the same fish blood running through our veins.  Hee, Hee. 

I love to show the pictures of the farm, cause I have tried to use my best judgement as a hobbyist and try to work on building the farm from there. They say you have to keep the customer at the heart of your operation, right.

Any how, just drop me a line and I'll send you some pics. Cheers

hi....

could u email to me your HP or contact number so that I can call u when I am in Thailand. I am not sure of my schedule yet. thanks.

BTW, It would be very helpful if you could email me some of the current fish topview and side view that u have now,... something that I can take back with me this sunday. Thanks

BTW, Please email me at : edteo68@singnet.com.sg
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(caster @ Thu 15 Apr 2004 06:05 PM)
hi....

could u email to me your HP or contact number so that I can call u when I am in Thailand. I am not sure of my schedule yet. thanks.

BTW, It would be very helpful if you could email me some of the current fish topview and side view that u have now,... something that I can take back with me this sunday. Thanks

BTW, Please email me at : edteo68@singnet.com.sg

I am sending you my contact info right now. Look forward to it. good.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Thu 15 Apr 2004 05:58 PM)
In most closed system, it is one form or another a green water system. The pond or tank that are in direct sunlight is also a green water system. Most of the koi keeper will use the vortex system (real expensive but most effective with all size of waste particles) but they will hardly do anything inside the pond.

Green water generates lots of bacteria, good and bad. I find that when the water starts to have too much bacteria, something bad always happen. Fin rot, stomach problem, lost of appetite, and colors for example. The system needs to be very complete when it comes to recycling the water, if the filtration system is not big enough for the pond (false of most amateur pond builders and tank keepers who build or buy the tank themselves without consulting any professional) the system becomes a breeding ground for bacteria, and that can only lead to trouble. If your set up is right on, then maintainance is very limited. This is the biggest risk I associate with green water system. The good bacteria that I added in the pond does nothing negative to the fish. They do not even use oxygen so you can be completely sure. Bacterial also helps reduce the risk in association with the "I Am Lazy Today Syndrome".

Thank you very much for all your kind words, especially the title of goldfish farmer. That made me feel very proud to be called that. We have worked very hard to be a good example for the other goldfish farmers in the market here to make them embrace the idea and pride in breeding quality fish rather than the amount of money they can make from breeding fish.

Ranchu has always been a closed tradition for the elite of society since it's conception in China and Japan. I believe that in the new age of globalization, the only sure way to glorify our beloved fish is to share the fish and the knowledge with the whole world. And when we all become experience fish keeper, there will be beautiful fish every where. That's not at all bad.

Sawasdee krap

why when the water has too much bacteria, something bad happens?

how do u know what bacteria u r adding specifically, and it doesn't use oxygen at all?

if too much bacteria and something will happen, then y r u adding bacteria?
sushiman
blush.gif sori bro mountain & cyberet,what do u mean by rotate?
I m currently using 1 sponge filter only.Just changed ater last nite.
By using pail of old tank water to wash the sponge.
Thanks again for the advise.Now already stopped buying although hand itchy.Hehe...
Seacucumber
QUOTE(sushiman @ Sat 17 Apr 2004 12:44 PM)
blush.gif sori bro mountain & cyberet,what do u mean by rotate?
          I m currently using 1 sponge filter only.Just changed ater last nite.
            By using pail of old tank water to wash the sponge.
            Thanks again for the advise.Now already stopped buying although hand itchy.Hehe...

wat they mean is that if u use 2 sponge filter, every time u wash filter, just wash one and dun wash the other....the next time, wash the one that u didn't wash the other time and dun wash the one u had wash previously.....

aiyoh......u understand my chimchim explanation or not?? hehehehehe laugh.gif
mountain
Week 1 : Sponge A and Sponge B in tank
Week 2 : Sponge A in tank, wash Sponge B, put back sponge B
Week 3 : Wash Sponge A and put back in tank, leave Sponge B in Tank.
Week 4 : Sponge A in tank, wash Sponge B, put back sponge B
Week 5 : Wash Sponge A and put back in tank, leave Sponge B in Tank.
Week 6 : Sponge A in tank, wash Sponge B, put back sponge B
peace.gif
Seacucumber
QUOTE(mountain @ Sat 17 Apr 2004 01:44 PM)
Week 1 : Sponge A and Sponge B in tank
Week 2 : Sponge A in tank, wash Sponge B, put back sponge B
Week 3 : Wash Sponge A and put back in tank, leave Sponge B in Tank.
Week 4 : Sponge A in tank, wash Sponge B, put back sponge B
Week 5 : Wash Sponge A and put back in tank, leave Sponge B in Tank.
Week 6 : Sponge A in tank, wash Sponge B, put back sponge B
peace.gif

longpia.gif
sushiman
tongue.gif yo,very paiseh leh.I got i t now.Thanks a lot.
Andy,hope to meet up with u guys this coming wed. shiok.gif
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Thu 15 Apr 2004 06:22 PM)
I am sending you my contact info right now. Look forward to it. good.gif

The bacteria sold all have similar characteristics, and they do not use oxygen to breath. (The products are advertised as such, even the one from the States).

I use bacteria to battle the bad things that may happen. I do not use live feeds with my large fish, because the risk of lost is too high,and they do not really need it to really grow big. I ciphon in fresh water at regular intervals to reduces the possibility of soil water. One hot afternoon in the sun, my pond (if it has a bad virus, for example)will be filled with that virus, more and more as the day progress. My filtration system can only take care of certain negative elements and organisms, not all. If you leave regular water in the sun for a few days, it will start to soil, due to many reasons. My pond is outside and is exposed to more things than most of the tanks inside. The same reason, however, works in your tank as well. Why wouldn't it? Changing the water too many time sytematically can lead to the degrading of the fish scales condition, and color. When I think of my pond,I often think of it as my biological experiment.

Have you ever cultures germs in the lab. Our ponds and tanks are a lot like these cultured experiments, as well. All the measures that I use are all used in combination to minimize all risks for my fish.

peace.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Sat 17 Apr 2004 05:34 PM)
The bacteria sold all have similar characteristics, and they do not use oxygen to breath. (The products are advertised as such, even the one from the States).

I use bacteria to battle the bad things that may happen. I do not use live feeds with my large fish, because the risk of lost is too high,and they do not really need it to really grow big. I ciphon in fresh water at regular intervals to reduces the possibility of soil water. One hot afternoon in the sun, my pond (if it has a bad virus, for example)will be filled with that virus, more and more as the day progress.  My filtration system can only take care of certain negative elements and organisms, not all.  If you leave regular water in the sun for a few days, it will start to soil, due to many reasons.  My pond is outside and is exposed to more things than most of the tanks inside.  The same reason, however, works in your tank as well.  Why wouldn't it? Changing the water too many time sytematically can lead to the degrading of the fish scales condition, and color. When I think of my pond,I often think of it as my biological experiment.

Have you ever cultures germs in the lab. Our ponds and tanks are a lot like these cultured experiments, as well. All the measures that I use are all used in combination to minimize all risks for my fish.

peace.gif

what's the name of this product ? need to find if on the shelves in singapore. or do you have a weblink?

any other alternative product or methods besides using the bacteria?

u said it.. my outdoor tub has flower petals, dead insects, dog hair laugh.gif Real nuisance. Dunno will bird shit on it or not. sometimes i catch my dog drinking out of my tub too, maybe will have more shiny coat biggrin.gif

Many of us do weekly change. Probably once a while suck off dirt and top up. Would it be better, in your practise, that we do a once a day to suck off the dirts to keep the water clean ?

As most of us using filter, it's quite difficult to clean the filter daily. Quite troublesome. washing just one chamber of my pond filter already takes 1/2hr

I don't see any filter in your ponds. What's the filter system u are talking about ? could u provide photos please? thanks

other than computer virus, that could be the best "germs" i come about. regret i never pay attention during sci lessons, lab stuffs too chim to understand. sad.gif
Absolute Ranchu
Most of the product I use come from Whitecrane company in Thailand. They also export to SG, and they also have a booth at the Aquarama,every year. Their products should not be too difficult to find.

Adding pro-biotic is not a new thing. Food like Saki Hikari added probiotic (similar to lactobacilus) to help with the assimilation of the feed. The same goes for germs inside our body, we also have good germs inside us that helps to digest food.

Cheers. peace.gif
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(CyberET @ Sun 18 Apr 2004 11:37 AM)
what's the name of this product ? need to find if on the shelves in singapore. or do you have a weblink?

any other alternative product or methods besides using the bacteria?

u said it.. my outdoor tub has flower petals, dead insects, dog hair laugh.gif Real nuisance. Dunno will bird shit on it or not. sometimes i catch my dog drinking out of my tub too, maybe will have more shiny coat biggrin.gif

Many of us do weekly change. Probably once a while suck off dirt and top up. Would it be better, in your practise, that we do a once a day to suck off the dirts to keep the water clean ?

As most of us using filter, it's quite difficult to clean the filter daily. Quite troublesome. washing just one chamber of my pond filter already takes 1/2hr

I don't see any filter in your ponds. What's the filter system u are talking about ? could u provide photos please? thanks

other than computer virus, that could be the best "germs" i come about. regret i never pay attention during sci lessons, lab stuffs too chim to understand. sad.gif

We also have a very large and friendly Golden at the farm. Loves to sleep under the pond, jump in the pond sometime, and steal fish food. What can we do. She is our mascot. She is much better now, now she just jump on me. laugh.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Sun 18 Apr 2004 04:50 PM)
Most of the product I use come from Whitecrane company in Thailand.  They also export to SG, and they also have a booth at the Aquarama,every year.  Their products should not be too difficult to find.

Adding pro-biotic is not a new thing. Food like Saki Hikari added probiotic (similar to lactobacilus) to help with the assimilation of the feed.  The same goes for germs inside our body,  we also have good germs inside us that helps to digest food.

Cheers. peace.gif

any comments on food containing lysine?
CyberET
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Sun 18 Apr 2004 04:55 PM)
We also have a very large and friendly Golden at the farm.  Loves to sleep under the pond, jump in the pond sometime, and steal fish food. What can we do.  She is our mascot.  She is much better now, now she just jump on me. laugh.gif

mine love to sleep under the car, and when i'm not looking finish up whatever fish food thats at the water surface before the kois can finish it biggrin.gif but hes scared of the water.. not a common golden behaviour laugh.gif
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(CyberET @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 05:40 AM)
any comments on food containing lysine?

Not a clue, please kindly illuminate. laugh.gif
Absolute Ranchu
QUOTE(CyberET @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 05:43 AM)
mine love to sleep under the car, and when i'm not looking finish up whatever fish food thats at the water surface before the kois can finish it biggrin.gif but hes scared of the water.. not a common golden behaviour laugh.gif

Our Annie (part Golden, part Crazy Scott Terrier) has not yet learned that trick of eating from the ponds yet. I'll be sure not to give her any ideas. Too smart this girl. She is more calm now, she's pregnant. Soon, there should be more Golden jumping in the Absolute ponds soon. (Having a headache just thinking about that.) ohmy.gif
CyberET
QUOTE(Absolute Ranchu @ Mon 19 Apr 2004 01:24 PM)
Not a clue, please kindly illuminate. laugh.gif

nothing, was looking at the ingredients, and comparing hikari fish foods.. realised, hikari excel has it, wondering what effect does it have on fish

woo, pregnant.. how many pups r u expecting? how long more?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.