Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Massive Wc Schedule For Max Growth
RafflesGold Forums > Discussion Area > Green Water, Filtration and Tank Setup
Donny041280
hi guys
I have upgrade my wc change system (pump in and out water, and barrel for filtering, aging and buffer) so that i could do WC for an hour for change 360 liter of aquarium (with almost similar PH and temperature) i've done this coz my water is really bad..i'm using well water but my nitrate already 40 ppm, but its plenty and no de chlor needed..
my data is 360 liter for 6 ranchu and feed with saki and hikari lionhead 6 to 7 times a day.filtration with 7 sponge filter (3 double stack and 1 single sponge) with 2 airpump and OHF 1200 liter and hour with fine white sponge mat..
For the best growth which is the best schedule??

1.WC 100% every monday, wednesday,friday and saturday (done this for 2 weeks and fish are fine..)
2.WC 100% every wed and sunday, then do 50% on Monday,tuesday,thursday,friday and saturday
3.WC 80% every day
Cannot do everyday 100% smile.gif coz no power..

Thx guys
CP
Your feeding is massive ; since you have well water which if free, why not do a continuous drip overflow system . biggrin.gif

Else perhaps 100% change every 5 days.
Donny041280
QUOTE(CP @ Wed, 03 Nov 2010 5:30 pm) *

Your feeding is massive ; since you have well water which if free, why not do a continuous drip overflow system . biggrin.gif

Else perhaps 100% change every 5 days.

Thx for the reply CP
Not massive lah.. I read that there are people doing 11 feeding per day, but still have to watch for the belly..
It cross my mind for the continous overflow system but my aquarium is the living room as it will be messy and dont want to drill my aquarium right now..
why change it every 5 days? Isn't the more the merrier? I'm doing 100% WC 4 times a week due to high nitrate in my well water..but what i'm concerning is that if i over stress the fish this way..sometimes i envy people who get a zero nitrates in their well/ tap water..
Another question, does anyone have junko Frozen Blood Worm? The date printed on the foil is expired date or production date? Its written 201005
The LFS owner told me its new but the worms are in bad shape..

Thx a lot!
CP
QUOTE(Donny041280 @ Wed, 03 Nov 2010 5:25 pm) *

why change it every 5 days? Isn't the more the merrier?

If you enjoy doing it certainly the more the merrier ; every 5 days is my rough estimation based on your bioload.
Donny041280
QUOTE(CP @ Thu, 04 Nov 2010 3:03 pm) *

If you enjoy doing it certainly the more the merrier ; every 5 days is my rough estimation based on your bioload.

thx for your quick reply CP,
I think you assumed 5 day s that if my well water nitrates is zero, but my well water nitrates level is already 40 ppm to begin with smile.gif (fresh without introducing fish,maybe because the well are close to the septic tank).
i have read your post before that you change your aquarium water when nitrate at 50ppm..so that it could come to zero or near zero, but my baseline is already 40ppm
Sometimes i enjoy do WC, but sometimes it's a pain in the rear.. sad.gif
Once i wanna try seachem purigen but i think it prevent ammonia to nitrate, rather than reducing nitrates
Any suggestion friend ?
Nitrates is killing me for doing large WC..(not my fish, they are healthy, i think..)

thx
bekko
If you had some outside tubs or barrels you could keep water hyacinth or other plants in them to take up the nitrate. Throw plants away when they become crowded. This keeps them growing and the plants thrown away is your nitrogen export.

There are also denitrator coils which remove nitrate, but they are risky and difficult to manage.

-steve
nizon
Have you tried Eco Bio Block. It claims to lessen water change.
UnSun
"Selamat" Donny, I think if you are living in a single storey house, you can collect some rain water and mix it with your well water in order to reduce those nitrate. I collect filtered rain water for use in ponds all the time, just have to watch the PH. (rain water is acidic...around 6.5 here.)
Bekko is right plants will remove nitrate, the more the merrier. I have zero nitrate on my ponds. (both CW and green water). I think you don't have to do w/c that often if you do that. ( beginning is fun but after a while "tak boleh tahan") lol yes.gif
Donny041280
QUOTE(bekko @ Mon, 08 Nov 2010 5:15 pm) *

If you had some outside tubs or barrels you could keep water hyacinth or other plants in them to take up the nitrate. Throw plants away when they become crowded. This keeps them growing and the plants thrown away is your nitrogen export.

There are also denitrator coils which remove nitrate, but they are risky and difficult to manage.

-steve

Hi steve,
What is hyacinth ? Don't know the plants..right now i'm experimenting with no bacteria setup, doing 100%WC every alternate days and ditch the sponge that i have (just like TVR setups) but the trick is keep the PH at 6,5 - 6,8 so that there are more ammonium than ammonia (based on the ammonium toxicity levels post in the pinned section) is it recommended?
I try to keep the ammonia below 0.016
My water is always on the acidic side (lots of co2)
What do you think steve?
Is it okie? smile.gif
Donny041280
QUOTE(nizon @ Thu, 11 Nov 2010 4:54 am) *

Have you tried Eco Bio Block. It claims to lessen water change.

Hi nizon,
Sadly there are no ecobioblock here..no fancy aquarium gadget at my area..
But thx ! tongue.gif
Donny041280
QUOTE(UnSun @ Thu, 11 Nov 2010 2:55 pm) *

"Selamat" Donny, I think if you are living in a single storey house, you can collect some rain water and mix it with your well water in order to reduce those nitrate. I collect filtered rain water for use in ponds all the time, just have to watch the PH. (rain water is acidic...around 6.5 here.)
Bekko is right plants will remove nitrate, the more the merrier. I have zero nitrate on my ponds. (both CW and green water). I think you don't have to do w/c that often if you do that. ( beginning is fun but after a while "tak boleh tahan") lol yes.gif

Thx for the reply unsun!
Could you pls tell me how to collect?
tongue.gif u are 110% right at first it's cute but later "tak boleh tahan"
Thx
UnSun
It all depends the type of roof you have. In Australia we have gutters all around our roof to collect the rain water and is channel down to the ground by a few downpipes positioned around the house. We can then collect the rain by modifying a down pipe to flow directly into a plastic drum or any large non toxic container, put a normal aquarium filter in there and there you have free clean water. Unfortunately for me, we have very little rainfall here and tap water is expensive. I hope that will give you some idea.

cheers. yes.gif
Donny041280
QUOTE(UnSun @ Thu, 11 Nov 2010 9:17 pm) *

It all depends the type of roof you have. In Australia we have gutters all around our roof to collect the rain water and is channel down to the ground by a few downpipes positioned around the house. We can then collect the rain by modifying a down pipe to flow directly into a plastic drum or any large non toxic container, put a normal aquarium filter in there and there you have free clean water. Unfortunately for me, we have very little rainfall here and tap water is expensive. I hope that will give you some idea.

cheers. yes.gif

Hi unsun,
It's kinda hard to wish for a rain first to do a water change, since i don't know how to do a rain dance smile.gif, so unfortunately i cannot do this method
But thx bro! tongue.gif
UnSun
Lol, I don't mean you only start to collect water when you are going to do a w/c. You set up this system first and you have aged water at your disposal at all times. In Indonesia, there are lots of rain, so that will not be a problem. I preferred rain water over well water. Well water very risky, too much contaminants, not worth it if you have expensive fish. I use bored water (pump up via a submersible pump 30 ft below ground) to water my gardens and lawn. If I use this water, I think all my ranchus will surely"mati".(die) hysterical.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.